Forums > Social Chat > Never fly Northwest Airlines

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I flew Northwest Airlines to London. I've flown Northwest Airlines many times and I'd say that maybe one trip out of six happens without at least some inconvenience.

On this trip, I almost didn't make it to London because there were about 15 agents checking in about 1,000 passengers. The agents were (rightly) complaining about their workload, but imagine our collective shock when five of them walked off to take a break leaving the passengers (already running late for our flights due to the insane queues) gaping at them. When I finally did check in (about 45 minutes before departure and 15 minutes before boarding), I was told that my seat had been "voluntarily" surrendered because "I was late" and that I would be re-assigned to a new seat at the gate.

My flight back left on time, got to Detroit almost an hour early...and ten people had no luggage. It takes a special kind of incompetence to lose a bag on a non-stop flight. After a 30-minute wait in line, a Northwest baggage agent gave me a stupid look and could not tell me where my bag was or when I could expect it. By contrast, when Lufthansa lost my bags once, I was greeted by name, apologized to, and told that my bags were in Frankfurt and that they would be delivered to my home the next day (and they were!). It is now 3 hours after today's flight from Gatwick arrived and my bags have not come. They were apparently not on that flight, either, but are still in England. Every time I call the baggage number, I am on hold for at least 20 minutes. Not a good way to treat a customer you've already screwed, is it?

I wonder if their safety and maintainence programs are run with the same level of incompetence as their flight operations management.

Northwest Airlines often offers excellent fares and may seem convenient if you live in Detroit, Minneapolis, or Memphis, but be aware that if you fly with them, you risk your your convenience and possibly your safety.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Write a letter to the CEO, explaining who you are (a frequent customer) and outline your experiences. You should at least receive a reply back from the CEO, and in doing so advise them of the crap company they are running, and the potential for loss of passengers due to shitty service.

And, if not, keep doing what you are doing: informing every one you know of your experience.

Hope your bags show up!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, I wrote them a nastygram. I've written them a nastygram after almost every flight I've taken with them.

Nothing changes. I'm just not going to fly with them again. At least when United screws up, they recover it better.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL...I am sorry I am laughing as it really isn't a good thing, but the way you worded it is comical!
I hope you have spare undies at home!

Now, taking stock of the inneptitude this airline is obviously capable of, I have to say that I am very relieved that you made it home safe and sound!
And United isn't much better. I flew with them in October and it was lovely. One half (not my half thank goodness) of the plane leaked brown liquid all over the passengers. The attendent thought perhaps someone had something in the luggage compartment, but when she checked it was all nice and dry. About 10 passengers had to fly on the two hour flight with tissues pressed against the overhead console to keep it from leaking upon them!
Never did figure out what it was. And I am flying with them in two weeks! YeeeHawwwww!

And they say the passengers are the dangerous ones!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hey, leaky brown stuff is all good (it was probably coming out of the luggage bins, just subtly so) as long as you get where you're going on time. I actually had that happen with me when flying Continental.

-Mike

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Sounds soo like Northwest, I never expect a worry free flight with them. It's nice that they're the only option here I'll actually be flying delta over spring break, my only problem should be the denver airport security, who over check me all the time.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Brown fluid has leaked onto two people? Is it common for people to carry unidentifiable brown liquids in their luggage or something?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Jello, I also live in a Northwest hub. I just fly United and connect through Chicago, Denver or D.C. to get where I need to go. And as an added bonus, the check-in lines are never very long since they only fly 737's and A-320's out of here.

-Mike

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Do it all the time...I have an aunt in Upper Pennsylvania with a prune farm, and I often come back loaded to the gills with prune juice, good for the colon ya know.....sorry

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele,
When you check in for you flight in two weeks, just ask for the "Non-Unidentifiable Brown Liquid" section. And a window seat.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.