Forums > Social Chat > Zombie attack! What would you do?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes thinking about what I'd do if there really was an outbreak of zombies. I used to work in a cinema where talking about zombies and making plans was one of the most popular conversation topics.

So... Zombies are in the streets, society is collapsing all around you, the government no longer exists.

What do you do?

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NOn

therefore it should not be hard to outsmart them....

well, where i live it would be! judging by the overall stupidity of most of the people that live here, there would only be a few of us left after the first day.

hmmmm.... Poi chains + steel boules balls.....

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
the major flaw with swords is they draw lots of blood. if you believe that contact with zombie blood ala "28 days later" will infect you then you dont want to be making big gashes. precice blows with heavy blunt objects will make internal trauma enough to kill or incapacitate them but hopefully not too much spillage.

i think an axe handle feels heavier than a cricket bat and can be swung with one hand. if you were to get a riot shield like the one used by the father in "28 days later" then you would be able to hold them back and hit with the axe. a perfect combination in my books.

glocks would be the best handgun as far as i'm aware cause they are very hardy, have a good clip capacity, they can be knocked around and will still be very reliabe. barettas arnt bad either i think. D.Eagles are bad for multiple reasons. A: the gun itself is REALLY heavy B:it only has a clip capacity of about 7 shots(whereas a glock can have 12-20) C: a slow fireing rate, not good if you want to pump a zombie before he reaches you. D: not extremely reliable.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
"i think an axe handle feels heavier than a cricket bat and can be swung with one hand." - MrMajestik.

Ain't nothing like a good piece of hickory.

"D.Eagles are bad for multiple reasons. A: the gun itself is REALLY heavy B:it only has a clip capacity of about 7 shots(whereas a glock can have 12-20) C: a slow fireing rate, not good if you want to pump a zombie before he reaches you. D: not extremely reliable." - MrMajestik

You Sir, have a deserning taste. You can have the armourer's position at the mountain hut anytime. smile

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i also didnt mention glocks are standard issue police firearms in Australia so there are plenty to be found and plenty of ammo to be spent.

i think you should sail a boat to tassie, its much safer than your mountain.

also earlier when i took the trash out i realised the wheelie bins (big thick plastic bins with two wheels on them) that every house in my city has could be cut apart to make shields with. the plastic is easily thick and strong enough to hold a zombie back, only i havent devised a way to attach it to your arm yet.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
As I live in the middle of nowhere, really, I don't think the zombie hordes themselves would be the problem.

First things first, I'd go to work. It's only a 20 minute walk away down quiet country lanes, a simple spade should be good enough to keep the few local zombies at bay. Once I get there, climb up into the workshop. You have to climb a ladder to get up there, and it should be fairly easy, with the collection of powertools and hammers (for when the electricity goes) to deter even pretty determined zombies from climbing up. If all else fails I could kick 'em off the ladder.

Likely after a few days most of the zombies in the district will either be splattered at the bottom of the ladder, or will have got boredand wander off, and I'm pretty sure there's still a water supply up there.

After that, well, a suprising amout of British plants are edible- I've been researching that for years- with some decent woodland and some marsh, I think I could last out quite a while just on that, and I think I know how to make rabbit snares.

Assuming the rabbits aren't zombies too, that is.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

the major flaw with swords is they draw lots of blood. if you believe that contact with zombie blood ala "28 days later" will infect you then you dont want to be making big gashes. precice blows with heavy blunt objects will make internal trauma enough to kill or incapacitate them but hopefully not too much spillage.

hmmm... see i'm still swaying towards the shaun of the dead style of zombie, because i think there is a major medical error in the film 28 days later that cannot be missed, which is that again... zombies... dead... blood... settled... coagulated... post mortem wounds don't tend to spurt anything. at least they don't according to the ever reliable CSI as a source! biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
So zombies will gravitate towards place they usually visit when they were still alive huh? I know, I will go to the place where I do voluntary work! Hardly anyone goes there! Or how about a cinema showing J-Lo films? No? Erm... S-club 7 concert?

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The 'Infected' in '28 Days Later' aren't actually zombies in the 'walking dead' sense, that's why they were called 'the Infected' and were able to be to killed by gunshot wounds. They were just people driving to homicidal rage via the virus in the monkey's blood.

The 'Dawn of the Dead' remake? factually inaccurate but still fun. Factually accurate? THE DEAD WALK!!!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh wait no, Hauton Tower!!!! Big high stone walls, huge doors, no glass to brake. Totally inpenatrable by zombies with some handy plank work.

Right so ive got dibs on Hauton Tower, as for swords becoming dull you can manually keep them sharp without the need for power, hence them being popular in medi-evil times.

What would be better though, a sharp japanese sword, or a thick chunky english long sword...erm no they are abit heavy maybe a nice Scimitar or something?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Katana Vs English War Sword is a debate for another thread, and knowing the amount of "Ninja" round here I'm keeping my opinions to myself.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Not 'ninjas' - 'LURKERS'

You could even throw the lightweight but very flexible and manuverable chinese sword into the mix here... She how that fairs against a horde of zombies in relation to the heavier katanas and broadswords.

Still siding with the double shoto combo... smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
a full suit of 4 in 1 chain maile, helm, gauntlets, leather undershirt, 1/2 inch ply wood shield, and a 36" balanced 5lb broad sword. Or you could got for full police riot gear plus riot shield. Basically Anything that offers you some protection from teeth and finger nails.

Then all you need to do is find a food and water source, and a safe place to sleep. Cities are out as you can't get a reliable water or food source, so it'd have to be a country side environment. Given enough people, you could take an old hill fort site and re fortify it. You'd need to create a new system of law, with new death rituals, including the removal of the brain after death in an Egyptian style.

You'd need high destruction weaponry in case of mass invasion, but the main issue is keeping a stable society, a reliable food and water source, and keeping as much scientific and medical knowledge alive as possible, as a zombie attack would never die out and can only increase in number. The only way to end it would be total annihalation. Of course, it might be interesting to remove a zombie's teeth and put boxing gloves on him, then chain him up and find how long it takes for him to die. If they survive indefinately, it'll just be a battle for survival.

I think that'll do.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Makes you think what would happen to the UK mainland after 28 days later. Would ireland claim it as their own? Would the survivers get to 'keep' britain? (after a massive cleanup operation of course. )

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Not 'Zombies'! The 'Infected'...!!! In that film i can't remember if the outside world was mentioned as being affected but I doubt it. Apparently there is a sequel in production called '28 Weeks Later'. The answers we seek will come then...

The aftermath scenerio is playout quite effectively in the new 'Battlestar Galactica' which the human race is literally reduced to a microcosm. What better way to explore humanity and society than to take it apart and put it back together one piece at a time?

Re-establishing society will take years if not decades. Often dictatorships will be regarded as necessity to keep order. Issues regarding economy, black markets, freedom vs order, re-population by any means. More often than not you often end up questioning whether we deserve to survive...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

More often than not you often end up questioning whether we deserve to survive...

I think you need to be put into l'endroit de oubliette until you start talking sensibly lol

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Talk sensibly? You're speaking FRENCH to me? How is that sensible? tongue

You do agree that humanity is the worst thing to happen to this planet in 65million years right?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
the planet doesn't give a flying monkey crap about humans or dinosaurs or what they do on it's surface. Neither does the universe etc. Whether we do bad or not affects only US. Nobody and nothing apart from us is going to care if we blow the earth apart. Animals and nature don't care, it's just another massive asteroid impact to them.

I wonder if modern men and women could repopulate the earth... Men are getting more infertile and women are getting less prone to having babies. (only in western countries of course.)

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
We managed to re-populate the earth from maybe 5,000 - 10,000 individuals to where we are now, after a BIG incident 50,000 years ago. (probably caused by Yellowstone going off.)

If anyone is interested if modern man/woman could repopulate the species in this day and age...........

I'm in the singles thread.

wink

Just done some more research and found that it was probably the Toba eruption that caused this bottleneck, about 70,000 years ago, and the (human) population of the world could have declined to as little as 1,000 people.

Scary stuff.
EDITED_BY: ArthurBrown (1159455245)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I'd love to see ally mcbeal try and repopulate the earth with a zombie robert downey-junior...

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Id quite happily take his place!!! ubblove

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

the planet doesn't give a flying monkey crap about humans or dinosaurs or what they do on it's surface. Neither does the universe etc. Whether we do bad or not affects only US. Nobody and nothing apart from us is going to care if we blow the earth apart. Animals and nature don't care, it's just another massive asteroid impact to them.

I have a few thousand extinct species of animals that says different (in the sense that they are floating around in the ether with sheets on their heads pointing at us going 'you b*stards!'). While we're here we have the choice of either to live in harmony with the world - ourselves, other lifeforms and the environment, or rendering it utterly uninhabitable. Sorry, all this tree-hugging is giving me splinters... Ooh, I could murder a bowl of Shark Fin Soup.

Written by: ArthurBrown

I'm in the singles thread.
wink

I'm right there! biggrin oh wait, that's not gonna work is it...?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
dead animals don't care? They're animals. The dinosaurs don't give a crap their extinct, and we didn't do it to them. They probably didn't even know it was happening, leading happy (for animals) lives until the last couple felt crappy sometimes cos they had nobody to mate with / had no food to eat / it was constantly winter and they had really bad seasonal affective disorder... oh no wait, they're just animals.

When I die, you won't see me flapping about in the afterlife blaming somebody for my crappy genes that caused me to grow old and die. (mostly cos I'll be too senile) And I don't think extinct animals will care that much either. OH NO! You saved our species so that we could go around in your cities and scavenge food from your bins, while the unlucky ones got put in zoos and gawped at by your young... and the rest were put back in the wild so they could stave to death in winter, get eaten by predators and gang raped when in heat. We love you humans for saving our species from honourable extinction.

oh back to zombies....

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Sorry that was such a vivid image...

Non-Https Image Link

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ubblol

you should have come to leeds 2... then you'd laugh more at that picture...

we had a murder room and everything to make zombies in... biggrin ubbrollsmile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Talk sensibly? You're speaking FRENCH to me? How is that sensible? tongue

You do agree that humanity is the worst thing to happen to this planet in 65million years right?

I just like to say the word oubliette, and anything french. I dont think we are the worst thing to happen, since there are too many things that have come about because of us to say that. Like music, and art, language, writting, and love to name a few.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The things you've mentioned are nice but aren't NEEDS when it comes to concerns about survival. If anything earth's natural resources are very much plundered to fuel our enjoyment of such activities....

Meg, I would've loved to come to that. I spooked quite easily so it definitely would've been an eye opener. I would've been okay, would've had you and Will to scare them away... biggrin On that subject, how would the church in question fare as a fortress in a zombie attack?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
hard to tell, had strong stone walls, but huge windows and such to break in through, and a back door and such. You could defend the second level, but it's not very big and wouldn't be great to stay for a long time.

But it did have a boat in it, so does have the option of trying to get that to the sea...

https://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/priv...bie%20Panic.mp3

biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Zombies...Attacked... why wasn't I warned eek

Right

*grabs Rope, selection of Knives, Rucksack, water bottles and warm, dark clothes*

Time to head for the forest... bet Zombies can't climb trees and there is plenty to Eat and drink..Thank God for Ray Mears and his survival tips.

now where did I leave my army of Souls?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Good luck trying to sail the boat around Headingly and out of Leeds biggrin

Mynci After we build the treehouses and defenses we can eat the Ewoks afterwards devil

I think you left your Army of Souls behind the sofa...

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Get in a strong and fast car and drive to ArthurBrown. I'd be selfish and won't stop for anyone in case they were bitten but hadn't "turned" yet.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Page: