Forums > Social Chat > Zombie attack! What would you do?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes thinking about what I'd do if there really was an outbreak of zombies. I used to work in a cinema where talking about zombies and making plans was one of the most popular conversation topics.

So... Zombies are in the streets, society is collapsing all around you, the government no longer exists.

What do you do?

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Ah automatic shotgun. like your style wink but slow to re-load.
Desert Eagle is a pile of sh1t. Only good for films. Too big and unreliable for a real life Zombie strike.

Meg seems to have the gen on this one. If you want a space in my mountain hut, you got it, (lots of room for combine harvesters there) as long as you train some of the younger ones to do the tell.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Leopards can bite through human skulls pretty easily... but then, they have evolved to kill us, so it's only fair. I figured dogs would have some of that same power... specially the big ass alsatians they use in the force.

dude, eating is the last of your worries, flat food in your back pack... beef jerky and the like. or winch it up or something. Having a rain water catcher or the roof is more important.

any reenactment armor is made of metal and nobody is going to bit through any metal that is at least stiff. Chainmail is too heavy to be practical, you'd move at the same speed as the zombies! I think motocross armor for the win... with some leathers and other bits and bobs.

really swords are crap. You've never get through the whole neck and you'd get the sword stuck on the first blow. Angle grinders to the skull for the win...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If I have time (and there's not too many zombies about) I have the urge to get a black cowl, a scythe... go up to the zombie and mutter something to the effect of 'Didn't think you'd see ME again so soon eh?'

*cue slice-age*

Animals for protection will have a shelf life as as soon as they come into contact with zombie blood they will slowly become one of them and be just as vicious and un predictable. Though the idea of using the dog as a courier in the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake had its ups and downs.

How about a shark infested moat? (Anyone seen 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' with the zombie vs Shark scene...? biggrin)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Chainmail is too heavy to be practical, you'd move at the same speed as the zombies!

Ooh that sounds like a challenge!
You up for a demonstration of how a zombie would overcome me in my mail?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The weight of the chainmail would slow you down that if you were suddenly surrounded by a horde of zombies you wouldn't be able to outrun or outmaneuver them. It may take a while longer but they will find a chink in your chainmail armour. All if would take is a tiny nick in yor skin through the gaps in the chainmail and voila, you'll be phoning Dial-A-Brain for your next meal...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Like I say. I'm ready to put it to the test.
Whoever can put me down while in chainmail will be the first.
Zombie or human.

I've done my homework.
I'm ready for the invasion.
And in the new world order, I will be king!
Muahahahaha!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
ok.........i be one of the sad many who've thought about this.

*sharpens shovel*

i'd be unsure of what to use as a weapon, perhaps either a long handled shovel to use as a type of pike/axe and a hatchet/hammer as backup or if i could i'd make a shield out of thick perspex and use an axehandle as a club.. i'd go to the motorbike shop around the corner and get leathers and a helmet or whatever else may constitue decent armour. i might take a bag and loot the shops near me or loot houses around mine. i'd fortify the downstairs of my house as its only got three small windows a solid exterior door and an easily reinforced internal staircase/door.

we have a fullon workshop downstairs so i'd i could think of anything useful to make i'd do it, and try to ride out the first few days when its spreading. then i figure a police station is either going to be garrisoned by survivors cause of all the firearms it'd have or it'd be empty cause the zombies would've been 'arrestted', spread and then left so either way i'd get access to happy happy glocks.

i've considered MCP's idea about climbing. in the city theres a bank thats maybe 9 stories although the first two are made up of the ground floor with a really high cieling. it has no windows facing the adjacent buildings so it'd be pretty save once set up. i'd destroy or well barricade the stairs and seal the lifts and thenset stuff up to collect water on the roof and live in whatever floor was the easiest to protect. i figure with something so safe and central people would be bound to come and want to join me so i'd get a little group going and have my very own "Vault" just like in Fallout smile

of course, in the event of a zombie outbreak IN EUROPE/AMERICA i beleive tasmania would be geographically isolated enough so that we would have ample time to mobilise and seal the borders to shipping so we could continue on with life in relatively safety/harmony.:D

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
leopards prey on baboons and such. Damn baboons with their arms and fingers, if you bite their throat, they can poke your eyes and pull your hair and break your paws and such like. That's no good, blind leopards can't hunt. So you have to kill them quick, well immediately, not just quick. So leopards evolved to bite the skulls of baboons, killing them immediately and avoiding blindness. And well humans are just big baboons. see: https://www.bigcats.org/abc/attacks/index.html
Interestingly in the account I heard, one leopards sometimes killed and didn't eat it's human victims. Giving rise to the notion that it had killed for 'fun'.

So for future zombie attacks a trained to not kill you big cat is what you need.

chainmail: so once they've covered you in their grasping biteing bodies and you can't get up, even though they can't bite you, what are you going to do? You want armor that you can run for a long time in. Otherwise the zombies will have the strength of numbers. Though metal gauntlets would be the win for fingers I think, as long as they were fine enough to pull a trigger with. I think with the pressure applied a zombie could either bite or put a finger out of action in leathers or normal gloves of any kind.

How can people have a grudge against the desert eagle? It looks cool and it fire big ass bullets? I mean, it's not like I wouldn't have a couple of berettas and uzi's as well. All with hollow point / dum dums. For that head splattering fun, I'm taking no chances on how much of the brain you have to destroy. I'm going for all of it.

In terms of manual brain destroying... A mace is the best thing I think. A sledge hammer is too heavy and slow, a hammer to short, a pickaxe would be garanteed to go through the skull, but might get stuck in there... a couple of lightweight mountain climbing pickaxes would be useful thou. A mace is spikey on all sides so should break the skull, won't get stuck, and is easy to aim.

how does zombism get spread? Most films seem to suggest it's a sudden all over the world at the same time sort of thing.

modern ones that it has a cause in mad science and spread extremely fast due to some wind / bite vector. Along with the new breed of 'fast' zombies. Which obviously are inferior in most tension / scare inducing ways to slow zombies. [censored] mtv generation.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm... interesting stuff

personally, i would get a few hoops, attach big knives to the outside edges, then go and kidnap fluffy napalm fairy (i may need to intoduce myself as i havent actually met her yet!), pump her full of red bull and get her to give me a piggy back as she hoops her way down the street, chopping stuff up, while i throw peanuts at the zombies.....

but honestly though, living in the country, i would go and steal a tractor with a steam roller attachment (keep the road nice and flat!) and drive to the coast and find a big boat or yacht with its own dingy, then moore it 100m from shore. completely safe. then use the dingy and tractor to get around and try to find some weapons and survivors. personally i go with megs hammer and head bashing ideas.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

jessiecatSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
I've given this alot of thought and have come to the conclusion that a flamethrower is the way forward. You would need one with a fuel container mounted on a backpack, in the stylee of the supersoaker. I have always wanted one of those, so many uses!

Also a large armoured vehicle of some description would be necessary, to cart arond a posse of kick ass zombie fighters plus necessities such as food, weapons and fuel. When it comes to finding a fortifiable building I'm at a loss, I suppose i wopuld have to just hope that I found someone along the way who's thought got further than kill kill kill!

fire pretty

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
no, im against flamethrowers, fire wouldnt destroy the brain quick enough, and youd be surrounded by flaming zombies, with a fuel cannister attached to your back! ubblol would be a good way to go though! BOOOOM!

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Rope-dart mace? (schoolgirl uniform optional...)

I REALLY want to plough through a horde of zombies in a combine harvester now...

What do people think about zombies being able to see? Do their eyes actually still work? We've seen them turn around and suddenly be aware of their prey. So do they actually see or can they just sense their prey in a way other than optically? Thinking about this all we would need to do is blind them. CS Gas or Mace, or suphuric acid (something stronger perhaps?) in a waterpistol of some kind... Then again the infectious nature of the resulting fumes can be debated...

jessiecatSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sketch

no, im against flamethrowers, fire wouldnt destroy the brain quick enough, and youd be surrounded by flaming zombies, with a fuel cannister attached to your back! ubblol would be a good way to go though! BOOOOM!

I can see your point, guess I was thinking about vampires instead of zombies! Still want a flame thrower though biggrin

fire pretty

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
most zombies have good hearing... (well in human terms) so blinding them wouldn't be super useful. They only seem to use their eyes as a backup to their hearing. They're attracted to noise after all, so you'd have to be super quiet after blinding them.

I still think that even if dogs ate brains of zombies they wouldn't become zombies. But that zombies would go after dogs and other animals unlike it in the utterly crap remake of dawn of the dead. (those film producers deserve to have their legs shot off and then be left for zombies.) The original romero zombie film had zombies catching rats and eating them, and shawn of the dead had them going for pigeons.

protecting against rage infected zombies would be a different matter.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
"chainmail: so once they've covered you in their grasping biteing bodies and you can't get up, even though they can't bite you, what are you going to do? You want armor that you can run for a long time in." - MCP
I can run fast and long in mail. Long enough to evade Zombies. The narrow streets of leeds make excellent killing grounds.

How can people have a grudge against the desert eagle? It looks cool and it fire big ass bullets? - MCP

Dessert eagle is just that. Pudding. It's ugly impossible to holster, draw, hold straight, and where exactly are you gonna hold all those brick sized mags? Never mind that it'll only work once in a blue moon.

For your guns I would say a pair of Beretta Cheetah's. Trinity's guns FTW. (Although I could see you with a Bren Gun.)

The proper weapon against Zombies, as we all know, is a cricket bat. Near blade like edge, plenty of weight, but not too heavy, and perfect for cracking skulls.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
dude, I've wore chainmail... it's bloody heavy.. and you've have to be wearing either chain gloves or full metal gauntlets, a helmet of somekind and chain trousers as well as metal boots of somekind. And then they'd all have to be very VERY secure around the edges. That would weight a ton... not as bad as full plate but pretty bad!

Desert eagles might not be the best weapon but they would certainly boost my morale in the face of complete social breakdown... I'd probably also get a couple of glocks... Really thou, I would be wanting a silenced high powered super long distance sniper rifle. Not for any particular reason... (maybe to support my friends raiding parties) just to have.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'd just need my BOOMSTICK!

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
"dude, I've wore chainmail... it's bloody heavy.. and you've have to be wearing either chain gloves or full metal gauntlets, a helmet of somekind and chain trousers as well as metal boots of somekind. And then they'd all have to be very VERY secure around the edges. That would weight a ton... not as bad as full plate but pretty bad!" -MCP

You've never had a suit tailored for you have you?
Worn it for 48hrs? Fought of hoards of undead wearing it? Come out alive, uninfected, and saved the day? Seen your enemys crushed before you and heard the lamentation of their women? Have you?

Nice choice on the glocks though, and the sniper rifle. Next time you're in Leeds and the zombies come, you can borrow my paired G19s and my sniper conversion AK47. I'll be too busy saving the day to use them anyway. nana

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ArthurBrown

Fought of hoards of undead wearing it? Come out alive, uninfected, and saved the day? Seen your enemys crushed before you and heard the lamentation of their women? Have you?

Have you?

Or have you just been larping? umm

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
what if you're too sick too fight? or too urban to remote yourself? and it happens overnight like in shaun of the dead??

I'd be tempted to try confusion tactics, and start munching the zombies... they are a bit slow and well dead after all, so should be fairly easy to get hold of, and i have read nothing in zombie literature so far that suggests you also get infected if you bite them...

last resort though mind, i bet they don't taste so good...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
If any of you have enough time, and want to see how to avoid a zombie attack, watch this.....(i know its a bit long at 26minutes!!! But meh)

Zombie Attack!

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
You'd probably kill yourself if you ate enough rotten meat lol

No no guns run out of ammo, and unless your in america and have acsess to a high school locker room your probably going to have a hard time finding bullets tongue

Sword for teh win, or maybie wolverine style gauntlets. The Preson sorting office might be a good place to set up base, it was a metal fence running around it, and then when your past that the walls are mostly brick with only one glass entrance at the front which you could secure somehow.

Only thing is you would need a building with some sort of roof escape in emergancys, which that sorting offce is lacking completly....Yes I checked the building out from the top deck of the bus on the way into work today ubbrollsmile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I like the idea of confusion tactics... not that you'd see me biting any myself... Well not unless I cooked them first.

yeah, definately need a grapple gun for my hideaway...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If you can get hold of a laser cutting device that'll solve the whole 'dulling blade' problem. If portable power is an issue you could always plug it into the cigarette lighter socket in your combine harvester biggrin Home-made pipe bombs could be handy if used sparingly.

If we were to go by George A Romero's idea that zombies can evolve and be entranced by pretty lights like fireworks ('sky-flowers') would firespinning - instilling both fear and awe within the zombies placate them enough to keep them at bay? Before you know it they'll be moaning 'faaaster' and 'less control'...

And I think we all know that the whole 'Shaun of the Dead'-style 'pretending to be a zombie' tactic WILL NOT work!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
man....... id just sit back and watch you guys....... sounds like awesome entertainment ubblol

Im with dave on the katanas....... 2 obviously.

Id like to say id have a few guns as well, but if this did ever happen id be screwed - my brother is a amunitions expert in the navy and has a real bad fetish for weapons ...... he gets all the guns rolleyes

Id sit near him somewhere being on a warship he currently opperates a deck mounted laser guided minigun biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Completely ignoring the whole 'excessive use dulls the blade thing', if you're gonna be using two I'd probably prefer to use 2 Shoto (the medium length ones) as opposed to two katanas. Too long and too heavy for manueverability for one in each hand. But I'm sure a big strong man like yourself can handle that. I suppose if Uma Thurman (or her stunt double Zoe Bell) can handle one katana in each hand, you shouldn't have too much trouble...

A pair of sai daggers for backup wouldn't go amiss either...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

And I think we all know that the whole 'Shaun of the Dead'-style 'pretending to be a zombie' tactic WILL NOT work!

pish and poppycock, it clearly DID work for a while ubblol

Besides zombies are DEAD, they have rotted brains hence the zombie tag and therefore it should not be hard to outsmart them....
EDITED_BY: NOn (1159356066)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
That scene in 'Shaun' was there for comic effect. If they can find living people in buildings from far away - and they do so by sensing the heat from your bodies and breath as well as the smell of non-rotten flesh AND breath (while they will have none of), walking around moaning will not help!

Yes you can definitely outsmart them using physical battle strategy, psychological warfare will fare less successfully. But they WILL know who's alive and who's not...

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
i would be looking to get my hands on one of these

Non-Https Image Link

and a helicopter (with manual)

then i would head over to maine cause there are tons of islands that probably wouldn't be infected yet and i could get supplies and food.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
You might evade the zombies sage, but the problem with Maine is that you're likely to encounter a few child-killing Clowns, Vampires, homicidal pen-names, rabies-infected dogs as well as a nick-nack shop run by Satan... Maybe the odd apocalypse or two...

The grassy aircraft carrier would be nice though, I'd anchor off the coast of Haiti... Hmmmm maybe not...

Page: