Forums > Social Chat > Zombie attack! What would you do?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes thinking about what I'd do if there really was an outbreak of zombies. I used to work in a cinema where talking about zombies and making plans was one of the most popular conversation topics.

So... Zombies are in the streets, society is collapsing all around you, the government no longer exists.

What do you do?

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Well, if you've ever seen Shaun of the Dead, you just pretend to be a Zombie. simple smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
a friend of mine always used to say: when there is a monster coming, you don't need to be able to run that fast. Just always make sure there's at least one person around who is still slower than you.
So my guess: look for someone who is slower than me?

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

ClairebeSILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
The whole 'make sure that I'm with someone who's slower' does work for monsters, but I don't think it would for zombies. They're pretty slow already and the sheer number of them would mean it would take very little time for them to get your friend (who becomes one and is therefore a threat) and then get you.

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
then I'll make it: find many people that are slower than me

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Maybe invite him on a "Bloody Mary"?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm crap at fighting, so I figure walk up to one, give him a big hug, and hope he makes it relatively quick and painless.

Non-Https Image Link

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
* Shoot them in the head
* A HUGE katana sword to behead them (if no katana, a chainsaw will suffice).
* They're still afraid of fire (shouldn't be a problem for us)so have a deodorant can and a lighter handy...

As for government, as far as I can tell it's every man for himself... Anyone got dibs on the Trafford Centre in Manchester? Or the Isle of Wight?

If the worst comes to the worst save a bullet for yourself...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ClairebeSILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Nononono - shopping centres are amongst the WORST places you can hole up in. They're really difficult to fortify - most of them have a massive main entrance that involves glass, so even if you do manage to barracade the main door, you still have to find a way of bricking up the glass.

Add to that the fact that most zombies tend to stick with things that are familiar; they'll more than likely gravitate towards a shopping centre. Also, in a shopping centre you have a lot of entrances and exits which make it difficult to police and you'd probably run out of food quite quickly.

That makes the Trafford Centre a big 'no' for me. Isle of Wight sounds promising, but how would you get there?

Squueee!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Speed boat... Bring a herd of sheep. Erm, you know... for food rolleyes

Actually sod Isle of Wright, I have dibs on Cyprus.

I'm actually looking forward to something like this! Gives me an excuse to have a dog-eat-dog nomadic extistance. The zombie movies tend to show that no matter how bad the zombie problem gets, the living humans can be even worse!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ClairebeSILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Oh yes. It would give you a valid reason to be completely selfish and violent - both things that secretly appeal to a lot of people.

This whole thread came about because I'm moving cities - I need a new 'in case of zombies' plan now; one for Liverpool instead of Preston.

So far, I'm at the stage of stealing bike leathers to offer more protection against bites, should I find myself having to go out into zombie-infested streets without a vehicle.

Squueee!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Post deleted by Patrick the Bubba Badger

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: Patrick the Bubba Badger

Written by: Clairebe

What do you do?

Generally, stay away from television sets. wink

As this is the surest way to turn someone into a zombie. tongue

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Jeez. Most people tend to worry about the removal vans and making new friends... tongue

What was your plan for Preston?

ClairebeSILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Ah - but most of my friends live in Liverpool already and I'm using my dad's van. All the practical side is sorted really. Leaving my brain, naturally, to turn to zombies. (Not really - was having a fairly weird MSN conversation which started me thinking.)

Preston - basic plan was to get out from wherever I happened to be, probably by stealing a car; get to Entwistle guns on Plungington road and load up on weapons and ammo, then head over to the UCI (now Odeon) and meet up with other survivors. We'd use the cinema as the base (good location, all on one level, all entrances can be locked and fortified) whilst making supply runs to the Morrisons on the other side of the dock.

The plan from there included gradually clearing the surrounding area of zombies and freeing up other locations to use as bases.

This plan was a result of working long and sometimes boring shifts at the cinema with other zombie obsessed people - it's not just my own plan.

Squueee!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You should definately read this.

I was actually thinking about stuff like this t'other day. Not necessarily zombies, but there's a fair few things that could screw us up enough to need a survival plan.

I reckon I'd be off to somewhere remote with as many of my friends as I can grab at short notice. Hopefully we'd find something to fortify and try to wait it out.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh oh oh I know where Plungington rd is smile I travel up it on the 23 to get to work at the Homeserve Building across from Asda.

Ive been thinking aout this all week, except I make it romantic and daydream (erm is this normal) that me and my boyfriend are on the run together, he dosent do much except run around and get upset and get ots of hug off me, and I walk around with some sort of japanese sword which I use to cut the zombies to bits with and come to his rescue.

Ide go around with a sword, forget guns they run out of ammo to fast, andwith a sword you could be all fast and swift and just avoid being bitten. Move in circles and chop of arms first then head, legs inbetween if you felt like it.

Also couse I live on a farm and can drive tractors ide in the initial days of zombie madness, ferry people around with a trailor on it.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

ClairebeSILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I know where Homeserve is - I used to work there. I left after about two months though.ubblol

That's good plan and yes, day-dreaming is normal. Guns featured only in my plan as a temporary measure to get to safety. It's incredibly difficult to get ammo for them in the UK anyway.

Squueee!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well actually I was thinking more along the lines of is it normal including a zombie appocolypse in romantic daydreams LOL

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Clairebe

So... Zombies are in the streets, society is collapsing all around you, the government no longer exists.

What do you do?

I would refer to my handy-dandy Zombie Survival Guide based off of what class of outbreak it is, and based off of the potential chance for the outbreak to increase in class type.

However, if the particular zombie outbreak was anything like I LUV HALLOWEEN, I would have loads of fun both skipping about shouting "Hiccuh-heet" with them, trick or treating for entrails, and spanking theys brown bottoms to keep the chonklit monkeys from making the poo pies for the picnic with their Duran Duran cds.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
You better all buy houseboats, then you can sail away :d That is my plan. Bov hun, you can come with Jon and me hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
A good place to be is graveyads, apparently. As the bodies there are so decomposed that they wouldn't be able to move, and any that do are 6ft under ground. And the lack of live things turns zombies away from graveyards biggrin biggrin

( O and have a small army with an arsenal of shotguns if it comes down to zombies attacking) smile

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

You better all buy houseboats, then you can sail away :d

That's handy. I'm living in Amsterdam, so: houseboats en masse

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Failing that, a nailgun will suffice. biggrin

I have a pair of sai daggers which might come in handy for some pointy sai/eye interface.

Did anyone in the zombie films try to placate the zombies meat from the butchers? Or did they not bother to try it in the panic of running away in high-heel stilettos?

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
N_S: Zombies prefer fresh meat.

Why is everyone so unprepared?
I've had my concrete bunker underground for ages. 5 Years rations in it, water filter system. So many weapons it's untrue. Brit Jo is right about the guns they run out of ammo, so only use as a last resort. I'll be using my swords, and bow for longer range. Eventual escape to mountain hut in the lake district if things get too bad. I'm sorted. Anyone need a place to run to?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Anyone have a combine harvester you can drive through the streets and 'Clean up the trash' at the same time as getting to your safe house?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The thing is though you would need to be in some sort of walking distance to food sorces, what would that be? All the supermarkets would be the first things to get raided, and england isnt very self sufficiant with crops n stuff. It wouldnt take long for all the blackberry bushes to run out lol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's clear to me from extensive research, that zombies can't climb. Their front limbs don't seem to work that way.

One of my plans would then to be to find a struturally sound yet delerict 3 story or higher building and destroy all of the first and maybe second floors. (Apart from any elements that were required to keep the building up. ) then just in case, remove any guttering / climbing elements on the side of the building. Then I would have a glorified tree house with out any threat of zombie entrance.

Maybe camping on top of some sort of hangar structure would have the same effect. Like a train shelter / plane hanger thing.

For transport, learning how to hotwire would be a super useful thing, so a quick trip to the library for one of those car manuals would be in order. (a mercedes van one preferably.) then a trip to a police station to steal a 'black mariah' as their known, or one of those police riot vans. Getting one equiped with guns and bullet proof vests would be a result. Hopefully they have toughened windows, but they definately have the windshield protector on them. I would go and try and add bullbars on the front if I was going long distances. (never stop for people loitering in the middle of the road, run them over!) Second option would be trying to get the keys to a securicor van or any of those money transporting service vans. Thirdly, a trip to the scottish parliment to see if they have any dignified armored cars in their basement and if not, a nice DHL van.

I personally don't think leather would be enough to resist zombies bites. Since zombies in most films can devour people pretty easily sometimes tearing them limb from limb, they don't have any qualms about biting as hard as is undeadly possibly, so I would go for a light metal armor from some reenactment shop or doubled up leathers with shin and forearm and elbow guards. Motocross armor if i could find it. But you wouldn't catch me galavanting around on foot, or on a motorbike with zombies around. It'd be the van or nothing.

Hopefully the police station would have some guns, but otherwise I'd obviously have my staff. A nail gun is definately for the win, with a back up portable angle grinder / drill of any kind. One of those high powered pulley system bows wouldn't go amiss, thou I'd need practise with it. A back up hammer just in case. Swords are a no-no in my book, cleanly detaching the head is very hard, and swords get stuck in vertebra and don't come out again if you don't have the precise technique. Destroying the brain is the best option in my book. The skull is very thin. Maybe retraining a police dog to bite in skulls would be a long term option... dogs go for the troat anyway training them for a bit higher up would be good, and dogs obviously are immune to zombism.

Molotov cocktails are not for the win... too unstable... but homemade flamethrowers could be. I would tend to shy away from immolation as a means of destroying zombies... too dangerous to be trapped in a burning building, or to have a zombie set you on fire... it's just too slow to be a useful method of killing them off. Possibly good as a short term deterrent, but no good for the long term, fuel wise.

And hell zombies would be a great time to have one of those completely preventable white gas accidents... maybe around the university... it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of yahs....

Jesus, I really have too much time at work....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
"I would go for a light metal armor from some reenactment shop"- MCP

I've seen those torn by people just putting them on. Let nobody be fooled by re-enactment armour. Get yourself a load of sprung steel washers two pairs of pliars and start making now FTW. Or you'll be kicking yourself, when you get munched in the neck by some ex-londis worker.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
rifles are good if you can use them... but for personal protection it's hard to aim for the head, heads are small. An automatic shotgun to knock them over and a desert eagle to plug their brains....

combine harvester is for the win! I love that idea! Getting one into the city would be trouble... but in the country it would be the bomb! probably get rapidly gummed up by zombie bits but would be worth it. A snow plough would also be useful.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The blade wouldn't dull if it was a Hatori Hanzo sword tongue

Oh c'mon we're talking about things that onyl happen in movies!

Clairebe's specific plan regarding the Cinema in Preston also has the advantage of being located right next to the docks where if anyone has a yacht/speedboat/houseboat could be used to make trips to the supermarket across the bay or if necessary (really REALLY necessary) the Isle of Mann. Fuel WILL be an issue...

Anyone know voodoo? As means of controlling the zombies, I drawing a blank on other options...

Page: ...