What are peoples thaughts on these?

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm *dubious* ...

There may have been no genetic modification... but if one in 50,000 cats has this mutant gene type... They must have had to sample a LOT of cats.

Now I dunno about other people kittys, but my lil one *hates* anything vet/medical... Is the stress on animals who got tested on worth it?

Is it fair that we should put them through an ordeal, that has no benefit to them?

shrug

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I don't think there was much stress for the cats involved. I mean all you'd need to test them would be a tiny sample of hair, so you'd just have to pick it up, or comb the cat.

I like the idea.

Apparently 1 in 5 animals has a human allergy though, I wonder if we should let only non-allergenic humans own pets ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Wonder what right people have to make money out of it? Mind you, if I were the scientist/person/discoverer whom dicovered this natural occurance, I'd want some credit for it.

I still want one ...

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm sure the price will go down in time. But then rare breeds of cats have always been expensive, so it won't go down very far. At least not while the kittens get bought too quickly for them to build up a decent-sized breeding stock.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Yep I'd get one if the price came down. Then again, I'd have to import it from the US, and putting a little kitten on a flight around the world then a 30 day quarentine wouldn't exactly be easy on the poor thing. Apparantly Siberians are hypoallergenic, dunno if this is just an urban myth though.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Aaaaw! Kittens! ubblove

I'm not so clued up about cats, but when dogs are stringently bred to include or exclude a certain gene/characteristic they often end up with other common health complications (e.g. labradors often have problems with their hips and back legs when they get old, king charles spaniels often get ear infections e.t.c.) so you end up with certain health problems associated with different pedigree breeds.

Cats seem more resilient than dogs though, and I do love the idea! So I guess it depends if there are any inadvertent health problems associated with breeding from a small gene pool.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan