Forums > Social Chat > Do you carry a lighter with you?

Login/Join to Participate

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
After being in the ranks of fire-spinners for just over a year, its actually quite shocking the number of spinners who doesn't carry a lighter around with them. I have seen people who have med-kits in their burn-kit but no lighter. I suppose at a time of emergency, a med kit would be better than a lighter but stiil.

Do you carry a lighter around with you?

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I am happy that this is becoming a topic on HoP - I also would love to have my findings veryfied.

"Fire people do not carry lighters" (mayority speaking)... seems to be come a stereotype...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
Well I've heard people suggest it's not a good idea to have one in your pocket while spinning... eek

But generally, in my experience nobody EVER has a lighter when it comes to trying to get something lit, leading to much shouting and scrabbling.

I have another question - why, when it's dark, does the person with a lighter always THROW it in your general direction, only to have it fall on the grass?!

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Of course people throw them in the dark at you! You're a spinner! You're practically a Jedi Master, right?!?!?

(*please don't hit me!)

Now, I oft had dreams of having my own, nice Zippo, perhaps with some pretty fire engravings or something or other. But I ended up losing 15 Bics to smokers borrowing them from me! So, on the same note, how to smokers just seem to KNOW that you need that lighter and never return it?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: psycotic_furby

Well I've heard people suggest it's not a good idea to have one in your pocket while spinning... eek

Why? The only way I can see it becoming a problem is via total freak accident.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As you know, firespinners are very cautious in preventing freak accidents. It's the total obvious ones they gamble on not happening. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
do you know how hard it is to keep a lighter on you? If you ever hang about with stoners/smokers, you'll know how quickly lighters can migrate, especially around a social group! It gets past a certain point in the evening, and they just go! One Falmouth I took about 6 lighters with me, and came back with 2 confused

where do they go? they're gathering in packs, down the back of sofas, establishing their own communities. In fact, lighters (probably due to their large amount of use at social functions) are trying to hold their own gatherings! they're getting annoyed at these humans who keep on trying to divide them.

Think about it, when they're in a large pack in a shop, they always stay there, next to their brothers and sisters. Once you take them away from there, they make a break for it every chance they get, often under cover of dark: I swear there's probably a huge colony in a cave near Maenporth beach...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I always carry a lighter. it's what you take when you go firespinning, no ?
This year I got so tired of people asking for a light when I'm halfway through one of my burns that I bought a bunch of little tiki torches, problem solved.
Now If we can only convince spinners to bring their own fuel too....

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I have me a zippo I found and fixed in my garage. It serves me well, and seeing as I a very anti-smoking, I don't lose it to smokers as I don't offer them a light with it...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Good topic! At the Play world record attempt, just after the whistle to light up went off, you could hear cries of "Does anybody have a lighter?" from all over the field! ubblol

I was one of them I'm sorry to say... Still, there was enough fire going around to light from rolleyes

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

I saw the advice (to not spin fire with lighters in pocket) on a safety site years ago.

It claimed that there were several one-legged fire fighters who'd inadvertantly left a lighter in their pocket when tackling a fire- the lighters exploded with sufficient force to take their leg off.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but, then again, it doesn't seem too implausible.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
I doubt it could explode quite THAT badly, but those things go pop if you chuck 'em on hard ground, so I imagine a poi/staff hit at high speed, on a cheap lighter, would have a similar effect.

Written by: TotalEclipse

...seeing as I a very anti-smoking, I don't lose it to smokers as I don't offer them a light with it...

That's one of the reasons I don't carry a lighter, although it does mean you miss out on 'Need a light? *wink wink*' type moments!

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Well, I don't smoke and I don't fire twirl.. so I don't carry a lighter around. But I know from having friends who twirl and you guys that when I start I need to carry my own fuel and a lighter (and if I ever get a zippo like one dreams of, to hide it at all times)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i used to carry a lighter around with me when i was in romanian, cos the amount of times that my smolker friends didnt have one was amazing!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
ubblol i don't smoke - never have! - but i currently have two lighters in my bag!! biggrin & because they are from small towns that are hours from here, i always keep a close eye on those smokers who borrow them!! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SamboFlux

Good topic! At the Play world record attempt, just after the whistle to light up went off, you could hear cries of "Does anybody have a lighter?" from all over the field! ubblol

I was one of them I'm sorry to say... Still, there was enough fire going around to light from rolleyes

Yeah, I remember that! I was one of the people with a lighter and there was 6 other people using my light.

I think there were warnings about carrying a lighter in you pocket because if your trousers catches fire, then the lighter might explode in your pocket? I have a Zippo so they are pretty robust and take a few knocks. Even if it breaks, I can just send it back and get a new one. biggrin

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I carry a lighter but I don't have a problem of people asking for a light at a fire spin. I take a large candle and everybody lights up from that.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
If you loose your lighter to people who don't return them: Don't blame THEM for your own rudeness to simply throw your lighter at them, instead of kindly offering them a light & your amnesia to claim it back... wink

*getting confused*

A lighter in your pocket might explode, when you fall to the ground and/ or your pants catch fire whilst spinning... To me this sounds like some completely paranoid freak mothers nightmare. The likelyhood of this event is marginal IMHO... (disclaimer: the following statement was written without granting any compensation to people who accidentally happen to experience their reality differently)

IF you have a lighter in your pocket and fall on it - in the braking event it will simply go [puff], the gas will escape and your thighs will feel shock-frozen for an instant.
In the other event that you're stoooopid enough do wipe off excess petroleum dribbling from your toys (in which case I have little to no compassion for you anyways) and receive a proper "burning pants" - calculate: How likely is it, that your pants burn at the pocket your lighter is stored? But even if Murphy himself lit your pants - how much heat and time is needed to make the lighter explode, how much pressure and gas is needed to cause serious injury?

If you ever hear anyone claiming that firefighters lost legs due to the carry of lighters in their pockets: do me the favour and ask them to back up this claim by evidence and post it here... rolleyes

*walks off, mumbling unkind remarks about stoner hoax pruducers, sociopathic splatter movie audience and overprotective paranoid freak mothers, who only aim to put their fears into other people* wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: Doc Lightning

I saw the advice (to not spin fire with lighters in pocket) on a safety site years ago.

It claimed that there were several one-legged fire fighters who'd inadvertantly left a lighter in their pocket when tackling a fire- the lighters exploded with sufficient force to take their leg off.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but, then again, it doesn't seem too implausible.

If this isn't one for the mythbusters gang I don't know what is. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I carry a lighter, I dont smoke. I just really like some certain songs biggrin tongue

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
sure do!

i have two zippos and an extra case, one was from my brother for my 18th and the other zippo and extra case i got for $20 in a tip shop, and about 6 various brand disposable lighters, of which i only paid for one. smile i stil have the first lighter i specifically bought for twirling ubblove its purdy and orange and i put a UTAS sticker on it. ubblove

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley