Forums > Technical Discussion > DIY Firewhip, real plaiting?

Login/Join to Participate

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
I've got a small collection of firewhips with various construction techniques now, the favourite being the typical "rope with handle" but with a section of tightly wrapped and thick tommy tape extending out of the handle and growing gradually thinner over a span of about 12 inches in order to add more of a realistic handling aspect and bit of follow through to the whip that a real whip has, opposed to being like a limp noodle.

(Its hard to obtain decent "loops" while popping with a limp noodle frown)

Has anyone had any experience with attempting to construct a more realistic whip from kevlar cord, involving a gradual taper and the full core components of a whip? (handle, thong, fall and popper primarily)

I'm interested to see whether this sort of prospect is possible, and if the materials for it could be obtained without too much difficulty..

If not, resorting to ordering from a site like Riz is the next option (they look fairly nice), but the prospect of concieving my own true firewhip has me intrigued.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I saw Bovril Monkey making a whip not so long ago. Admittedly it was not of the Fire variety, but it was still nifty. You should ask him. He's very good at making things....

BOV!?

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
What do you mean by kevlar cord?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Yep - I make and sell FireWhips which taper.
PM me and I can give you some indications of how to do.
Its pretty labour intensive - but the resultant prop really does feel and act as a 'real' whip does
Peas out

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Roxy Velvetstranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm looking for someone in the UK who can make me a 3ft braided firewhip in the traditional method ie. two layers of braided kevlar over a inner rope with a kevlar fall and cracker ... Anyone?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
when in the UK? you should have no problems importing.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireNixYep - I make and sell FireWhips which taper.
PM me and I can give you some indications of how to do.
Its pretty labour intensive - but the resultant prop really does feel and act as a 'real' whip does
Peas out

Any plans heading our way, Rob? And if you do: any toys you're gonna bring?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink