ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
Hello all! I'm giving a speech on the art and history of fire spinning in my public speaking class. I was thinking it would be really cool to get some quotes from fire spinners about how poi or any other fire art has changed your life or just general thoughts on it. so if you've got a minute, please let me know. I'd love to hear from all of you!

kmbkitten >^_^<

P.S. Oh and please let me know how long you've been spinning for and what part of the world you're from.

Thanks!

<3

EDITED_BY: kmbkitten (1158610591)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Spinning poi has given me access to more illegal substances than I ever could have imagined" wink

"If I could choose any other hobby in the world, I woudnt"

"Poi is more about friends than poi"

"Poi gives you jargon with which you can utterly confuse the Norms (normal people) around you with. I.e "So you are spining an inverted isometric antispin buzzsaw, then into long arm antispin flowers with carries on alternating beats"" ubblol

"Poi is like LSD - You will never look at the world in the same way again"

Ive been spinning 5 years now, and im from London, England.

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
anyone else have something they can say? come on! help a fellow spinner out! hopefully something I can use in a classroom setting though...thank you for the effort though Crater on Face!

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
You'll want to ask ben-ja-men about some quotes, or search his posts: very much of the "There is no staff..." vein smile

Poi and staff get you UP off the computer, OUT of the house, and DOWN to the park. I've certainly noticed I am fitter since I started poi/staff in earnest, not so much because it is such fantastic exercise but because it stops me sitting around doing very little.

As for the fire: for the audience, its all about the flames. For the spinner (in my case at least) its all about the sound...staffs are easier to spin because they are on fire, you spin faster and more confidently (except with my cathedrals because they are so heavy ubbrollsmile) Spinning with fire is therapeutic - it draws your focus from problems XYZ and brings it to spinning.

And it's great to impress people as well! For all that there are loads of spinners, it always surprises me how many people have never even heard of this new-fangled poi, and who exactly were the Maori anyway...

Spinning staff for about 3 years, but only picked it up as a 'proper hobby' about a month ago, along with some poi. And I am a student from a tiny hamlet in the south of England cool

Good luck with the public speaking...

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Poi is very good at keeping you fit i've found as im aching in places that i didn't know muscles existed...im guessing thats a good thing lolsign

anyways, to me i think poi is about freedom of expression and doing whatever you want. You control the poi, and watching the fire (well...leds for me) spin past my head really gives me a buzz and i sort of feel refreshed, especially when I close my eyes.

Before I had my little signature thing at the end as "Alone. In control. Free" as you have time to yourself, the poi is at your control, and you feel completely free in what you are doing. Also it's incredibly addictive.

Don't know if that''s helpful, but thats my view of it.
EDITED_BY: buggleberry_fairy (1159042266)

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
Thank you! yeah that definately helps. I'm really excited to give this speech! the only thing that sucks is that I wanted to have video footage of me spinning fire but I don't know anyone who has a video camera and its getting too cold in MN to do it anyway. so I'll probably end up just using a clip from the internet or something. *sigh* oh well. Thanks again!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
The Philosophy of Staff thread over there *points* has some great quotes, not only on the nature of spinning, but on the nature of the spinners.

ahem "Poi is gay"

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
YOU say that like it were a bad thing druds... smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Poi is a great confidence builder!!!
I was always kinda shy but give me a set of poi and a bucket of kerosine and i will quite happily spin in front of hundreds of people.

Man i love the smell of kero in the evenings!!!!

Live life in a spin but if you fall dont come crying to me!!!!

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Nah, it's definately a good thing! Otherwise we'd just be weirdos.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
"The world is spinning, spinning, spinning, so why don't you join the confusion at least you won't be standing there, alone?"

A quote I saw on the net someday long ago.

I've been spinning for roughly 2 years, and i'm from Vasterbotten, Sweden.

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
Poi taught me that just cos I can't do something now doesn't mean I won't be able to do it later.

Also how to duck

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
i live my life one burn at a time for those brief few minutes the wicks are on fire i am free

Scooby meditate