Forums > Social Discussion > The Pill - The Personal, the Political and the Medical

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
This thread has been started as a response to some discussion on another about the Pill, and the side effects for women. On page four of the [Old link] , Doc Lightning raised the issue of the pill as a way of managing the female menstrual cycle noting that the female patients he had prescribed it to had had a noticeable improvement in dealing with their period every month.

This was followed with discussion by Clare and Aimee about the adverse impacts they had had on the pill. Spritie made the point that there are different pill formulations, and that it was important to try different ones to find the right one for you.

Doc Lightning made an interesting point that some people link other unrelated symptoms to medication they are taking. He gave the example of a patient he had had in medical college who blamed weight gain on the course of prozac she was taking, although it was most likely caused by a pituitary tumor which gave her the Cushing's Disease.

At this point I will deviate a little from just re-counting what was said in the thread. I want to explain my response, giving as full a picture as possible, so that people can make a fair judgement about any comments made.

I will be straight-forward and say that whilst I understood the point that Doc made, I found his language condescending and a little over-bearing. By recounting the tale that he chose to tell, in the language he chose "She SWEARS it was the Prozac. It wasn't, but she'll never believe it." it seemed that he implied that all the people who had posted up to that point were complaining about something that wasn't there or wasn't real.

I recognise that this was probably not Doc's intent. However I have had my own personal experiences (see, I told you I was going to be as honest as possible in order to allow people to see the full picture) where doctors are similarly dismissive about emotional symptoms.

I am not about to stop using the Pill however I have had several friends who, despite trying a couple of formulations feel "out of their skin" or "not themselves". I know that those feelings have been dismissed by members of the medical profession. With the expectation that it is just something you "pretty much have to put up with to stay baby-free".

If more women were made aware of the possible emotional side-effects, they may be able to get to a doctor sooner to change their pill formulation, rather than going off the pill and wondering why the last couple of months had felt so strange. And if more doctors thought about the implications of how it is to feel "not yourself" every day (basically it feels like a mental illness) then maybe they would take these symptoms more seriously.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
yes, I get that!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
It's very annoying I find. Next time I shall take a bag of lavender or something on the bus and bury my nose in it!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I wear orange oil, so all I can smell is myself!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Same. London tube trains... horrendous.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I had completely forgotten about that cause I was on the pill for ages!! Well at least I won't have to worry about eating anything that's gone off... more about throwing things out because I THINK they are, or getting paranoid about smelling of sweat or something ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Argh. I just want these nasty chemicals out of my body now.

To cut a long story short I've got a wound which has split open twice and wont close after minor sugery, I also have a stonking chest infection and cold, I have to stay at home to let wound heal properly so I'm by myself all day.
I'm kicking and breaking things because I'm so frustrated and down! I don't get angry and break things, that's not me!
Give me Aimée back!

Just another 3 weeks and then everything will be back to normal meditate

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ok i've got another question not really metioned yet....

sounds like i've been extremely lucky - i was put on cilest combined pill when i was 16 and have been taking it ever since. never had any trouble at all, and my boobs even got bigger (wheeey!) i briefly flirted with the jab, but wans't happy with having no periods at all, even though the bleeding you get on the pill isn't actaully a 'period', i'm still happier with it that way.

so here's the thing though, i've always smoked a little bit, maybe like 4 or 5 roll ups a day. yes i admit that i'm addiceted to nicotine, but i don't mind how much i smoke, i'm prefctly happy with it and see at as an indulgance, just as someone who eats junk food or whatever, i have no plan to give up. even though my doctor said to me 5 cigs - what's the point?!?! huh? i LIKE smoking, and feel that the amount i smoke is fine. there, that was just my disclaimer in advance - don't tell me to give up, its not gonna happen smile

but yeah, to get to the actual question! everyone keeps telling me that smoking and the pill don't go together but WHY???? what is the actual risk here? not that i disbelieve, but i just want to know what is the risk i'm talking. see if it was a choice between the pill & smoking i choose the pill - so if anybody knows the specific risk, i'm dying to know. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

ok i've got another question not really metioned yet....

sounds like i've been extremely lucky -

No you haven't. You fall into a solid majority. wink

Written by:

but yeah, to get to the actual question! everyone keeps telling me that smoking and the pill don't go together but WHY????

Taking estrogen can slightly increase the risk for blood clots. Smoking DRASTICALLY increases the risk for blood clots. The two together are very dangerous. A clot forms in your leg, flows up the veins to the right atrium, through the right ventricle, and lodges in a pulmonary artery...

...and you drop dead right there. Sometimes you have enough time to clutch your chest in pain and confusion before you drop dead. Sometimes you don't drop dead, but the outcome is never very good.

If you insist on smoking, I'd have you on a progestin-only pill or on Depo-Provera. Progestin-only preparations do not have the clotting side-effect.

My rule for women on estrogen pills is "no more than one cigarrette a month."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:
i am on the combined pill called microgynon and have had no problems with it at all. I have been taking it now for 6.5 years and was wondering if i should give by body a break from it for a while. Is the week break from it each month for menstrution enough?
This might be one for the doc to answer but if anyone else knows then let me know.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Jenster thats what i was on for about three years... i've just decided to go back on it, having had a six month break. i wasn't told to have a break though, mostly it was a combination of circumstances at the time, and wanting to have a rest!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i've had a couple of 6 moths breaks. i don't know from a medical point of view if it makes any difference, but i know it makes me feel better, it's just noce not to be taking a pill every day, so it can't be a bad thing.

strong-bad pop up book,

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i've been taking the pill for about 7 yrs & i've had a couple of 6 month breaks. i don't know from a medical point of view if it makes any difference, but i know it makes me feel better, it's just nice not to be taking a pill every day, so it can't be a bad thing.

strong-bad pop up book,

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto

My problem is I get moody after I've been on a break from it so I never want to start again!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
For me it's just a little while that i don't have to worry - did i take my pill today? have i got it with me if i decide not to go home? etc.

but in the same way it is nice that i don't have to worry - what if the condom splits? what if i need the morning after pill? (which btw HOW expensive?) etc.

so i guess its pretty even.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: toobie

For me it's just a little while that i don't have to worry - did i take my pill today? have i got it with me if i decide not to go home? etc.

Hence, I like the non-pill alternatives. Everyone keeps going on about how tough it is to take a pill.

Ladies, if this is a problem, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. There are three alternatives. And most women on this site are comfortable enough with themselves that they can use a NuvaRing with no problem.

-Mike

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
nuvaring? explain??!

strong-bad pop up book,

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NuvaRing!

(For the 16th time...) wink

-Mike

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
Well I’ve never actually taken the pill for various reasons - hart problem’s when I was younger, family history of blood clots and breast cancer, not trusting my self to remember to actually take it and mainly not liking the idea of putting hormones into my body every day and not really being aware of the long term consequences

I did try the depo injection for just over a year but I didn’t really get on with it. I bled for about 4 weeks after my first injection, I put on weight, felt depressed, loss of libido and back to my not wanting to put hormones into my body..

To people that haven’t got on with the pill or the injection I just wanted to say that there is another option that people haven’t really talked about much here… an IUD. I know it’s not going to be for everyone, but for me the advantages were - it can last for up to 5 years (sometime more, up to 10 I think) no injections, no pills, no hormones, no emotional side affects (as far as I’m aware!), I think normal fertility returns as soon as you have it removed. Obviously there’s some bad points too it can make periods more painful and heavy, and there are other things too. It’s definitely not going to be suitable for everyone, but it’s something that some people may want to look into as another option.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Hence, I like the non-pill alternatives. Everyone keeps going on about how tough it is to take a pill.

Hey, Doc, since you seem to be very well versed in these things, what's the scoop on the IUD? Good, bad, somewhat like NuvaRing? A friend of mine is using one, and I was wondering what the current opinion was on it....

Her opinion left little explanation:
 Written by:

my plastic baby seems to be working now. i haven't had leaky girl time since graduation. i like calling it my plastic baby mostly because it confuses people. and, well... because it hangs out in my uterus.

Jus' curious.... redface

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: toobie

Oh don't get me wrong Doc, the pill isn't a problem at all for me... it's just after a while its like....

you get so used to locking the door when you leave the house that you don't remember if you've done it or not... so you go back to check and voila! it's locked! it's kind like that... i get so used to taking it, that sometimes i think about it and get confused, lol! thats why a break is nice.

smile

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
An IUD is a good option. I think doctors in the states are somewhat reluctant to give it females before they've had their first child, although I don't really know the reasons why.

As for taking the pill every day, that's never been my problem. I have to take other daily meds, so I just take them all first thing when I wake up, and viola, no problem. In the 9 years I've been on them, I have only missed a day once. Maybe that partially has to do with the fact that I've experienced the whole unwanted pregnancy and really don't want a repeat. Anyways, I'm just saying that taking a pill each day doesn't have to be a chore. It just depends on how you think about it.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I started taking microgynon a few months ago. I got a little moody and had a very low libido. Broke up with my boyfriend and got a new one and the moodiness stopped and my libido returned...I guess it had nothing to do with the pill at all. wink

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

Hey, Doc, since you seem to be very well versed in these things, what's the scoop on the IUD? Good, bad, somewhat like NuvaRing? A friend of mine is using one, and I was wondering what the current opinion was on it....

I'm not an OB/GYN doc, so my experience with these devices is less than with the purely hormonal options.

The IUD is an excellent choice for women who know that they don't want a baby for several years. It's a bit more involved to get one (minimum of two visits, one for a very minor procedure) and if you want it out, then it's also a minor procedure. There is one sort that elutes a progestin hormone, but at a very low dose that basically affects the endometrial lining directly without having much effect on the body as a whole. Women who use the currently most popular IUD (Mirena-US web page) often notice that their menstrual flow is greatly decreased. There can be some cramping in the first few months that almost always goes away by one year. It shouldn't be used by women who have had pelvic inflammatory disease or an ectopic (e.g. tubal) pregnancy.

Most OB/GYN's will not put one into a teenager, and that drives me crazy since teenagers are the population that I feel would best benefit from IUD's.

-Mike

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Do the docs have a specific reason for not wanting to put them in teenagers? I've always heard good things about them from older women, so I was just wondering if there was a medical reason for not doing so. Do they harm your ability to have children in the future or elevate any risks of doing so? Is it harder to concieve quickly after having one removed (i.e. would it most likely take at least a year or more to conceive)? I know the time it takes to conceive after going off the pill vary from person to person - some less than a month, some about a year, so I was just wondering if maybe after removal of the IUD it would take a whole lot longer than after going off the pill?

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
mine is a non hormonal type, it's made from copper and its the small amouts of copper that are released into womb that prevents pregnancy. as far as i know normal fertility returns as soon as it's removed.

i'm not a doc but i think the main reasons for not puting them into younger people are that if you've already had children they are more easy to fit and there is less chance of them moving out of place. also they prefer to fit them in people that are in stable relationships as if you got an STI it can lead to problems like pelvic inflammatory disease.

i had mine fitted at 18

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There's also a teensy risk of uterine scarring and, thus, fertility issues...

And in this country OB/GYN's are so lawsuit-phobic...

...they forget that pregnancy carries a far higher complication rate. Like comparing winning the lottery to getting a parking ticket.

-Mike

Page: