Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Aucklands FireNight at Basque Reserve Tuesday Nights

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Kia Ora peeps,

FireNight is moving....

From . VICTORIA PARK

To . THE BASQUE RESERVE

Dont worrie,We're still every tuesday night

all is well..So good in fact that we decided to up the stakes..The basque is a mint venue with multipule levels to play on..Its nicely landscaped with 2 stone circles and a water feature..Bam! I love a good water feature..

Also The basque is slightly smaller that vicky park so hopfully we should fill the whole park not just inhabit a small corner..

So,so many positives..Lookin foward to the start of fire season.. biggrin

EDITED_BY: Markeespark(CCC) (1158458542)

Kia Ora from the Central City Circus

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Ive passed on the message to Steve..
Were you the guy crying about a bent staff a few weeks ago??
That was pretty lame dude..
Eight years of fireNight and i never heard anything like it!
Anyway FireNights about community so i passed on your number but in future dude,know that nobody at fire would just walk up to someones gear,break it then walk off without saying anything..Be realistic..perhaps someone stepped on it or perhaps it was one of the people you offer your 4-6 staffs to..
Sorry form the downer the rest of y'all..
It just seemed sooo Weired.

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Crying? Hardly.

Not crying, curious, i just genuinely wanted to know how it happened, i didnt care who did it, it wasn't even a staff, just a staff blank. $6 woopdedoo.

I do offer them out to everyone and anyone, i'm not worried if one gets bent or broken as one did, but it would have been nice if whomever did it came forwards.

I test my staves extensivly and none of them has ever bent that way, hence my curiosity, knowing what happened or how it was done would help me out for future tests.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Are they aluminium?

I've got a 'graveyard' of about 10 bent staves at home, but most of them are from high throws over concrete that don't quite land in my hand... smile

Other wise being stood on over a depression can do it too. More likely to happen if the aluminium is hot rather than cold...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

156 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Charles

Are they aluminium?

I've got a 'graveyard' of about 10 bent staves at home, but most of them are from high throws over concrete that don't quite land in my hand... smile

Other wise being stood on over a depression can do it too. More likely to happen if the aluminium is hot rather than cold...

Yes Aluminium, Cold (Not staves, just blank Alloy Poles) And the ends were both around 200mm off plane from the center. Teh ends were offset evenly, unlike a drop that tends to tweak one end more than the other and when hot bend in the hot spot not dead centre...

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oh well... I haven't been to fire night for a year at least, but if you see me there, I'll give you $6 to buy another one with...

Thne we can all be happy...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

156 posts

Posted:
Is no one reading what i'm writing?

I dont care that the staff was broken. That is the least of my concern, $6 is meaningless.

MY primary concern was 'HOW', so when i build my next batch i can make them sufficiently stronger to not be bent that way again.

My secondary concern is that no-one came forward to let me know or say sorry, it's just the principle, were not all devoid of honesty and morals are we?

As far as i can see, i'm being made out to be a petty lame fire spinner crying over spilt milk, and i really don't think thats the case, i didnt even see the need to bring this into the forum but somone else did.

One bad egg spoiled one guys fire night and here we are 4 or 6 posts later in slightly heated post session.
EDITED_BY: cpjfox (1174015719)

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Alrighty then.
Sorry about saying crying,it was inflamitory and less than accurate.I should have talked to you about it in person instead of posting it.
In my experience,when you look at your staff and its bent,its gonna have been you that bent it.
Perhaps im a little overprotective but it seems more likely that you did it and didn't notice till later..
I dont think somebody would just walk up to your gear,stuff it and not say anything to you.i dont think anyone down there is devoid of morals..I get to meet everyone collecting cash for the fuel and there a good,honest bunch..
i guess I took offence to the whole bad egg idea..
thus far nobody has messed with my things and i'm there more than most for longer than most.
So anyway I'm sorry..

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
On another note.
Hi Charles.Hows the family?
It would be good to see you at fire before we have to pull out for winter..The move to the basque was the best thing to ever happen to firenight,each week gets better..
Also I'd buy your staff graveyard from you if you like.Things have been going well at juggling night,we're getting 40+ people most weeks.This has left me with some money to get some cheap gear for workshops.Im keen if you are..

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Just wondering, is fire nite still going at this time of year? Have finally got my license back and have my car sorted...

Anyone going to be there next Tues??

Edit: for interest's sake: do any of you guys from Vic Park a few years ago remember Jason? (Wolf)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Yeah bro!! good to hear from you bro..We'll be there tonight..Hopefully i'll see ya there..
And yeah..I remember Wolf..i've known him for years,he's a real good dude..
It'd be good to see him again,if you see him tell'm i say hi..chur cuz...
P.S I'm lookn for photos of firenight if anyone has any..

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Probably wont get there 2nite, no bloody petrol in the legacy frown

Wolf's over Aussie at the moment, has been for a while now, will tell him you said hi next time I'm in touch with him.

PM me if you want his email addy

Enjoy 2nite (I soooo gotta get my arse into gear with my car redface)

I mite still get there 2nite if I can sort out some gas...

Are you up for it?
wink;)

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Will this gathering be on on 24/4/06 wether permitting, as I might be in Auckland at that time.

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Hey mag master..
I think the 17th is our last official firenight for the year,till spring anyway..
But people will continue meeting there,there just wont be any fuel of music..
Sorry bro..
My friend is in brisbane at the moment..where do people meet and when???

TumbleHatBRONZE Member
journeyman
50 posts

Posted:
ahoy there auklanders.....i am an Australian fire spinner living in Christchurch and will be in aukland this week. your fire night sounds awesome and i really hope its on this week. ive never been to aukland and have no idea how to get anywhere can some one please advise me on directions????

see you all then]

jamie

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

lawraMember
5 posts

Posted:
Final official fire night is tonight. What will I do with myself on Tuesdays after tonight?

frown

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Alrighty peeps thats another mad fire season over..our first in the Basque..
Hope everyone enjoyed it and i hope to see you all in december when we start all over again for year 9..
Also...
Come to Circus Night,Every wednesday night @ 20 st Marys rd Ponsonby from 7-9pm...
We'll be there all winter..
Peace Out....

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Bump

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Boom

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

juleynewbie
3 posts

Posted:
heya, i'm completely new to this whole fire poi and staff thing, but i heard about fire night at basque which appears to be finished for the season (what a shame!) but just wondering if it would be ok to join you guys on circus night for winter? just to see what its all about. and if so, what would i expect or need to bring... cheers smile

156 posts

Posted:
 Written by: juley

heya, i'm completely new to this whole fire poi and staff thing, but i heard about fire night at basque which appears to be finished for the season (what a shame!) but just wondering if it would be ok to join you guys on circus night for winter? just to see what its all about. and if so, what would i expect or need to bring... cheers smile

Hey Juley, There is a winter fire night, but the post has been a little swamped as oft kiwi ones do.

[Old link] for the HoP Post

And Here for the darker side wink

All you need bring is your self and suitable clothing. Ive usually got half a dozen staves, and somone is always around to lend you some poi. I wont be there this weekend coming as i have a trip to the south island for a week, but rest assured your still welcome, and i hope to see you there the weekend after, till then, just keep spinning weavesmiley

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Alrighty then...
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Yes its cold out,there but it's getting warmer and that means your old friend FireNIghts coming back to take care of you every tuesday night from October 2nd till the cold returns..
This will be our 9th season.SO come join us for uor 9th birthday on the 2nd of October,at The Basque Reserve,On Exmouth st.Eden Tce,Auckland..
I know..
Choice..

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I wont be there on the 2nd, but will join you ASAP
Love to all thinking of ya
Kia Ora

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Cool bro..
See you pon your return.
Did you go to EJC?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Nope - thought it too hot in a tent in Greece.
Ive done 3 in a row, running the FireShows and wanted as break.
Also had a gig - so that swayed it.
Shall c u in Oct I hopes
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Roger that,those fires look intence..
Catch you pon yo return....

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
The countdown is on...
Oct 2nd here I come...

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Sweeet
I think im gonna chill in Thialand for a holiday on my ay over but hope to make it in November
Will see ya when I land for sure Bro
Peas out and Hope the Spring has Sprung

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Spring has sprung like a powerstepper..
Seeya soon cuz...

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
Shucks...
The weather was crap today and the forecast for tomorrow is bleak.. So We're putting off the first FireNight of the year till next week..
Thats:
The 9th of October
The Basque Reserve
https://www.smaps.co.nz/nz/auckland/eden+terrace/
Sorry guys...

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
How did it go guys... I'm hoping to make it to this one this week, but it all depends on the kids... smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Page: