Page:
sparrowhawknewbie
1 post

Posted:
hey hey

ive been looking around for quite awhile, and the only staffs i can find are ones which are used with fire, like with wicks

where are they??? (as in just a plain staff)

.....sorry for sounding really dumb but i you kinda have to when you are starting off wink rolleyes

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/practice_staff_spinning_stick.html
Has a few, and they glow...
www.Dube.com has a few graphite ones, although not very good for contact. But if you are planning on moving on to fire, it would seem to me both cheaper, and less of a hassle to learn on a fire staff and just not light them, but to each his own.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Why not just construct your own? I find it helps to screw something on the ends to simulate the weight of Kevlar.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I made a fairly heavy contact staff for practice using a 19mm, 153cm long chrome-plated shelving pole from homebase, filling it with 18mm pine dowel and drilling a couple of holes in each end to screw in a large bolt to add weight to the ends. I then capped the ends using some convinient rubber table-leg ends for 19mm pole, which prevents some of the damage all the dropping will doubtless cause...

Whole thing cost about £8. The grip I put on originally was electical tape, which, it turns out, is more slippy than the metal pole bare is. I have still managed to learn steve's with it though, and this'll just make things easier when I have a proper contact staff...

alternatively, if you are starting, saw off a broom handle or something and wrap some bicycle inner tube round the ends. Its very easy to paint a perfect spiral all the way up it as well using spray paint and masking tape, if you want something that looks a bit more funky wink

In general, this'll save you money and make something a bit more personal to you, at any length you wish, or thickness, or weight.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yup, use a broomstick. They rock.

with tennis balls on the end if you want to be posh.

personally i've never seen a 'practice' staff for sale that i like.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you want this:

stick

never seen them before but if i'm not mistaken, the decoration (and the description of the construction) makes me think that they are mushypea steve practice staffs ubblove

i want one myself now but but they seem to be out of stock... ubbcrying

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
they've been out of stock for months as I had my eye on one as a non-fire toy...there was something about the girl who made them going off travelling or something... frown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
spoke to firetoys:

they are indeed mushypea steve sticks ubblove

steve is back soon (next few weeks) and will (hopefully) be making some more biggrin

definitely worth holding out for imo.

i wonder if he'd make me a black and white one...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I made my own practice staff using the same materials as TotalEclipse. Though I splashed out a little on some fabric tape from a sports shop to use as grip (in a slightly interesting way!). Living in a really old house we still ahve spare lengths of lead piping knocking about in the cellar so it cut some of that up and pinned it into the ends to give it some serious rotating weight, I find it nicer for contact than my 1.3m TePooka fire staff, but I'll probably be looking at getting a 1.5m one soon anyways.

The nicest thing about making a staff is, of course, that it's unique, and you can give it a daft name.

Here's a picture of Sven :P

shaySILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
check this out:

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
My practice staff is just a broom stick and pipe insulation racers taped on the ends for padding, and a newly added (was electrical tape) inner tube grip. It's all full of dents but it has carecter, and memories.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah i make my practice staffs like the ones on fire toys with the squshie flower ends.
They are really good beacuse you can tell easly if they brush past you. so you will be able to get use to avoiding them ready for spinning fire.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
www.oddballs.co.uk has a few I think although ones with wicks work just as well biggrin

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
I gotta say nothing beats a broom stick with tennis racket grip.

Although if you must beat it, you can always steal some glow-in-the-dark tape from your ex'girlfriends dad... wink tongue

uncleGsifstranger
13 posts

Posted:
red aluminium broom handle, bike grip tap, and some inner-tubes, cut in half and taped t the ends for wieght (noce and quiet if you drop it too)

G

I love Tea, I mean, i REALLY love tea

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
What about the contact staffs with no visible weights. Like the one drew used in the II promo, and Antti Suniala used at EJC 06

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Broomstick. doesnt cost a thing.
you can allways find broomsticks on the street, and they rock.
just practice with them.
and if u want it to be nice, light a sticklight, and break it, and drop all of the phenyl ester on the stick wink
sticklighted broomstick, or as i like to call it, Witch`s Broom.
B"r"ooM

Love is Life

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
i'm quite into using non weighted staffs, even for contact.
i've been using a towel rail quite a bit recently, its open for mor length sliding maneuvres.
and generally feels purer (and harder)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I was in B&Q last week and I started doing matrix's with a 2 metre length of twisted iron railing ubblol they thought I was nuts,

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I've always been a fan of broomsticks with metal tude mounted on the ends (adds legnth and weight) then foam pads on the ends. makes an nice heavy stick for learning contact.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: acidchild

My practice staff is just a broom stick and pipe insulation racers taped on the ends for padding, and a newly added (was electrical tape) inner tube grip. It's all full of dents but it has carecter, and memories.

I kept meaning to make one like this, but then I got lazy and bought one off ebay! It cost under a tenner and it is essentially a broomstick with weights on the end, covered in shiny stuff with a tennis racket grip on. It's better finished that I would have done it and saved me the hassle of sourcing bits and putting them together!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Bah! Would there be staves without wicks out there that could break down? A 3 piece one? The idea of fire twirling has kinda worn off on me and its just about the twirling, but I want something I can easily carry...

I'm not the crafty type, and as such definitely wouldn't attempt to make a sectional staff, perhaps a regular one, but something that could break down is well beyond my abilities.

hug

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Take the wicks off a fire staff perhaps rolleyes Or simply make covers for the ends.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I just might have to do that, Gnor, but since I'm going to have to wait til I pick up a new job to get the new staff, anyway, I can potter around and look for precisely what I'm after.

Thanks a bunch for your helpful input! ^_^

hug

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The advantage of having no wicks is no hassles from air travel and no tempatation to burn them and have smelly sooty staffs. I wonder if you can put weights inside the wood/pipe . Drill a hole and insert it down the staff, that way you get the weight and a smooth lined staff as well.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
There was a guy (Merlin?) at Play fest who had glued mmetal inserts in the ends to add weight, it was a truly beautiful staff. Can't see it being all that hard

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for the ideas. I have been itching to try out staff twirling for a little while now. I have tons of scrap material laying around, suitable for staff, but Im curious, which would be more appropriate for a beginner: wood or aluminum? (We'll assume the thing will be touching the ground more than my hands)

And also: as a complete novice (with no person to person teacher) would it be smarter to stick with a padded end vs. the smooth line staff that has been discussed?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Deamon_LlamaBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Padding is a must. I just use a heavy wooden broom handle, but I stuck a short section of those pool noodle things on either end. They are in bright colours, which makes it look a bit nicer, but the main thing is you can't really knock yourself out with the ends any more.

---
No statements are true unless they can be proven scientifically.
---

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
As are elbow pads and a helmet apparently. I have very badly bruised both elbows and my noggin, trying to do angel rolls.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
haha i remember those days, out back twirling my broom stick. Ya padding on the ends is good, especially to add weight for contact stuff.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
yeah, I may have to look into foam padding over the whole staff. Worst thing is that I cant practice this in the house like poi. And its starting to get cool outside.

Page: