Page:
sparrowhawknewbie
1 post

Posted:
hey hey

ive been looking around for quite awhile, and the only staffs i can find are ones which are used with fire, like with wicks

where are they??? (as in just a plain staff)

.....sorry for sounding really dumb but i you kinda have to when you are starting off wink rolleyes

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
ends are totally a must, the padding although it seems light will add weight to the ends which makes a huge difference in the handling of a staff. I would also totally recommend additional weighting the ends.

as for wood or ali, it's totally a personal preference, wood has a bit more weight to it but can break after high throws. ali won't break but might bend, I would recommend titanium, meg has one and it's a beaut, just put loads of weight on the ends and it'll spin like a dream
EDITED_BY: TheApprovingNinja (1194512231)

Viva UGLY STAFF

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
sweet. Thanks for the advice. I opted for wood, due to its weight and low cost. I wanted to focus on learning contact anyways, so very high throws are not in my immediate future. Its 5 ft (approximately 140 cm) with 1/2 a meter of grip in the middle and 4 inches of foam pool noodles attached with duct tape. I am already loving it.

While I dont know if this is ideal for contact, I have been able to pick up wrist stops, pinwheels, and a half of a conveyor belt move so far, using it.

now back to practice. smile

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
1) padding at the ends
2) Aluminum with a full wodden core (weight watchers!!! -> Alu 20mm x 1.5-2mm max)

Apart from that, there is a formula regarding the length and mass of a "perfect stick" (same as with Poi: head, chain and handle) - I am leaving the calcultion of it up to the next generation of nerdy spinners to work it out. wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Well, out of curiosity, what is an approximate weight appropriate for a contact staff of, say, 5ft (~150-160 cm). Is 1.5 lbs ok, or should it be heavier?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I took aluminium and then put short lengths of lead pipe between crimped lengths at the end. So see how long it is, add a bit and put a crimp in the pipe. Then drop the lead down and crimp it closed.

It seems to work ok.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: