Forums > Social Discussion > UK telivision licences and internet telivision

Login/Join to Participate

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
well i suppose this thread is all about the demise of the UK telly licence with the rise of the internet entertainment industry.

i know most of you don't watch much telivison, but i'd like to know your views still.

a number of questions arise from this subject, like

" why pay for a telivision licence if i can watch what i want free from my PC/laptop??"

"if internet entertainment increases and more and more people choose to view programs via the internet what will happen to corparations like the BBC ( who arte the ONLY valid reason for the licence in the first place)???"

discuss biggrin

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
well if your watching programs that have been made by the bbc or using the bbc website you should still pay... tongue

back

7,193 posts

Posted:
surely isn't it time the BBC dropped this antiquated fee and catch up with the rest of the world???

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... and this is exactly the reason why German TV-network wants to install fees for PC's and Laptop computers!

It's a friggin' outrage that we'd have to pay for garbage we don't even want to see... eek

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

iansmithmember
90 posts

Posted:
What I don't understand is that the BBC are a private company, yet people who get caught not paying are prosecuted by the Crown/government.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Personally I have no problem with paying for a TV license, the main reason being with BBC there's no advert breaks. My god advert breaks are annoying. ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
but the thing is, the licenses are there to pay the BBC. even if you had satellites telly you still have to pay because of all the channels available you "may" tune into a BBC channel or program and you still have to pay for the satellite subscription.

all i am wondering about is...................you don't have a telivison, yet you watch media via the internet would you have the TV licence men knocking at your door with a fine?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Ravehead, I know how a television license works smile

In Cambridge, Sym et al didn't have a TV and therefore didn't pay a TV license smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

Same with us.

We have recently told the TV licencing people that we dont watch TV anymore due mainly to "Celebrity Come Dancing", yet they still continue to send us letters saying that we face a court appearance and a fine if we are caught watching tv and dont have a licence. To which we tell them that we dont watch tv. To which they reply that if we are caught watching TV without a licence, that we will face a court appearance and a large fine. To which we reply that we dont watch TV... etc...etc...etc

We use the TV for playing computer games and just for the computer. ubblove

So to answer your question Ravehead; If you dont watch TV on a television, you dont need a licence.

We download anything we want to watch anyway shrug

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Exactly Jon. Sym et al didnt even have a TV in their house.

I am a sad git and I love Neighbours and Eastenders (hooray for Karl and Susan snogging on Friday, boo for Honey for being mean to her new baby!) so I quite like having a telly- it's good for doing knitting in front of smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Certainly ad-breaks are annoying (especially when videotaping wink ) but paying a fee, just because I own a Lap? What's that?

If I'd own a TV, certainly (I'll be watching)... shrug but just because I own a Computer that is OR MIGHT BE hooked up to the Internet? confused

Outrage! wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
that sucks but i doubt it'll get that bad - mainly because it'll be un-enforcable and it'll produce more money and work better to charge on a pay-per-view system smile

the thing that sucks is that the US telecom companies want to charge for the use of their bandwidth (as in if you use their pipes at any point even if they arnt your ISP they want to charge for it) - but i think thats been discussed somewhere else smile

and i think the licence fee is worth it as in all honesty there is more good TV on the BBC than all the cable channels put together wink

back

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I'm not a TV fan. Heh, I got so fed up of those letters at uni that I phoned them up, told them my tv was hooked into the PS2 for games and dvds, the arial was still SEALED and they were welcome to come and see, and I didn't appreciate constant harrassment demanding money for something I don't use... If you speak to someone, the letters stop. smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
So the BBC isn't government funded media? I thought it was the equivelant to our ABC confused

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Um, I don't think ABC is government funded. Perhaps you are thinking of PBS.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm from Australia wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
its independant and publicly funded as far as i know it has no offical ties to the government (lots of un-offical ones and if you keep dodging the license the fines etc are enforced by the CPS which is specifically not the government)

rouge - stop rubbing it in tongue

back

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
there's a thing on the tv licence website saying if you only use the telly for videos and dvds (as I do) you don't have to pay, but you have to inform them.

So that's what I did - my flat has a tv, and I can't just throw the landlady's tv out because I don't like the programmes and won't watch them! In addition, I don't get channel 5 because most of Edinburgh doesn't get a signal for it, and channel 4 with the Simpsons which I might've watched has a very bad signal, too.

TV licence wrote me about every 2 weeks to tell them "if my circumstances had changed" and that I hadn't paid yet. Then told me I should call some number and tell them if I needed a licence. The person at that number (which of course wasn't free!) told me they weren't responsible and why did I call them in the first place, and I'd have to send a letter to the same address I'd already sent 3 letters to.

So I wrote them and complained and said I didn't want to be treated like a criminal (cause they kept threatening me with fines and court, too) for following their each and every instruction which apparently were either wrong or there was a big problem with their internal communication. And that I didn't like the tone I was talked to in, and their letters were written in, especially if all I did was what their website and letters asked for.

And since then, they've apologised and left me alone, completely!! biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

Um, I don't think ABC is government funded. Perhaps you are thinking of PBS.

ABC A for AUSTRALIAN wink i know the US has the abc too, but thats not what we're talking about man.

i'm not sure i understand. is this a service that everyone recieves and is expected to pay for unless they state otherwise? all sounds a bit odd to me. if they're going to broadcast their program for anyone to pick up why should they have a right to charge people to listen/watch it?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Once you have a good net connection (ADSL 2), learn how to use bittorrent and have a decent computer / home theater setup, there's really no need for TV. Bittorrent is way better than even cable.

You can get pretty much anything you want, and watch it whenever you like (unlike foxtel, where they still tell you what to what, and still have ads that you're paying for!).

Sure it's illegal, but it's the same situation as downloading mp3s. It's just a result of the world struggling to keep up with the latest technology. Seriously, everything on the net is better... internet radio, internet tv, availability of music, unbiased news. Why anyone ever bothers with the old radio waves is beyond me.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Australia? Pshaw. How dare they take the same letters as one of our American networks! I'm telling Bush.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I would gladly pay more for a licence if it meant NO ADVERTS!!!

There's no advert regulation in Australia on commercial TV as there is in the UK, basically, if they want to edit bits of the show out to fit more ads in, they can (and do).

The best thing I ever invested in was a hard drive recorder, start recording, ten minutes later watch stuff on time slip and you can skip through the adverts. Yay.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
I'd much rather have free TV with adverts than pay for the BBC. All it's shows are terrible anyway.

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
rave, the rules are:

if you watch a tv channels broadband broadcasts (like say the full episode of extras on the bbc website), you should have a tv licence.

if you don't have a tv with a tuner connected to an aerial and you don't watch broadband broadcasts, you don't need a licence.

download tv is the way forward, without a doubt - now, when does lost season three start...? biggrin wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ah... i was just going to type a "but wait... i'm sure sometimes you have to pay a licence fee for using a computer to download" but you just cleared it up cole, so i don't have to do that anymore. smile

i haven't got the attention span for TV at the moment anyway, it's difficult to sit through even a half hour programme, it's just not entertaining anymore... apart from CSI Miami, which always gives me a good chuckle. Forget the dead bodies like, it's all about david caruso's acting abilities and the particular way he puts on sunglasses and never looks another person in the eye... ubblol

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.