AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey all.ok - something I just read about the weave has led me to possible confusion.in weavemill, ppl are discussing 2:2 beat weave. is this the same as what is 3-beat weave in the instructions? or is this 2-beat weave, ie - figure eight?if it is - then that means there must be some confusion about the 2:1 weave, cuz how can you get one poi to only beat once? it takes two minimum right? one entry beat one exit beat? (I cant see how something joined to one side of your body can pass the otherside, and not come back to its natural side eventually).So then the 4 beat weave is the weave you do once when you go from 3 beat to five beat...ie the wind up...and five beat is just that (I think we all know what it is, cuz of the number of times ppl describe it on here smile)it would be possible to do a four beat three beat alternating or a four beat five beat alternating, but is it possible to do a 4 4 beat sustained weave? methinks its not...(at least not how I'm comprehending it). Of course it's possible to do the 5:5 (5-beat weave) and the 3:3 (standard weave) and the 2:2 (figure eight)...I've also seen Bobrob perform some shenanagans to pull a 7:7 - but that involves breaking somewhat from the 3:3, and 5:5 in technique...And while we are at it, my understanding of beat counting, is the number of times a poi head passes a particular place on one side of my body...is this correct? it's not in reference to how many times a spectator might see a poi rotate on one side of the performer is it?This all might seem pedantic, but I think one of the strengths of this site is the ability to communicate movements to others using language, and it really breaks down when ppl dont agree on common usage.I recently did a performance with a group who had named all the moves completely different names (not the Wick Effect smile)...and it made learning the choreography much harder, as the choreographer meant completely different things when she said what to me seemed like familiar terms...I think we need a twirling technique communication protocol. I nominate HOP to be the standards governing body.Josh

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Here is what is described on the "geocities" website:-----Extra Turns Using Different BeatsAs with the corkscrew and the windmill, the chase can be performed using several different beats. This is pretty tricky to describe, but the basics are that you can perform:a 1:1 beat, where each hand performs one circle on each side of your body - this is the figure-of-8;a 2:1 beat, where the left hand performs two circles on the right and the right hand one circle only, which is then reversed as the hands move over to your left side - this is the chase;a 2:2 beat, where your arms twist around themselves to allow the chains to perform two circles each on your right and then untwist on your left by performing another two circles each. This has been nicknamed a quadruple chase by Jo Derry, the guy who posted the information. Jo has even managed to perform (and describe!) a 3:2 beat version of the chase.-----My understanding is that a beat is a circle (more or less complete). Therefore, the 2:1 is the regular weave because when you do it on your right side, left hand does 2 circles and right hand does 1 circle. To answer your question, it is possible to do a sustaining 4 beat weave (that we can also call 2:2). From the weave, if you add an extra beat on your right (with the right hand), an extra beat is automatically added on your left since your hands have to untangle. So you can keep that going and sustain a 4 beat weave. Now, if on top of that you add a beat with your left hand once you're on the left side of your body, you now have 5 beats going on your left.... as well as on your right since your hands will have to untangle on your right side. So that's the 3:2.Damn this all sounds complicated. I could never understand the thread about 5 beat weaves on this site. I only got it when Protozoa showed it to me at the ECSP.Good luck Josh!nomad

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
so what exactly is the 3 beat weave?

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
The 3-beat weave is our regular weave. There are indeed 3 beats on each side of your body.nomad

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
alrighti learned the 3 beat in like a few days.the animation and description on this site HELPS A LOT. I'm working on the 5 beat. I need to learn how to do the 3 beat backwards (not behind the back, just in reverse). I have gotten down:-weave/chase-butterfly-alternate butterfly-overhead buttterfly (not just one rotation, but i've done up to 20)-corkscrew-one handed butterfly-one handed overhead butterfly-chasing the sun-windmills-giant windmill-horizontal mexican weave-alternate butterfly combination-triple corkscrew-variations of forward/reverse swings-some pretty cool body wrapslike: doing butterfly, then on the downward stroke, put foot out, let it wrap once around, then pull away and get it going reverse. Also, some wraps to change direction of forward/reverse swings. And somethrough the legs butterfly (still practicing)Poi is so fun, and so addicting. I just really started last month at a rave, and have been working on better things since then.i love poi

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the family! You're right, it is very addictive. It seems like you've been pretty productive with it! smilenomad

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
man, this is confusing, read those first two posts, i kinda got the second one cuz i could do pretty much everything he explained (cept 3:2) but i figured out the 2:1 and 2:2 weave all on my own b4 anyone showed me or the site smilestill working on those stupid mexican waves and chasing the sun. and i still dont understand what a tripple corkscrew is, or what a windmill is (im thinking a butterfly in alternate timing)i need to hang out w/ the twirler friends ive made here, they could teach me some of this stuff

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
that's exactly right RB...I twirled alone for years and felt really limited in terms of moves etc. Not until recently has my imagination and motivation to learn many new moves come about, all that thanks to twirling with other people.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I also really wish I had someone to work on moves with. I can't figure out the reverse weave and it is frustrating. I met my other poi friend last week and she was trying to teach me and I was trying to teach her the corkscrew and windmill but we didn't have enough time. I can do a figure of 8 reverse now so I guess it's just a matter of practice and cursing a lot before I figure it out. Wouldn't it be blissful to have someone to learn from. There is a lot of satisfaction in learning something yourself but a lot of frustration too.Oh and redbrother, if you can do the corkscrew then the windmill is a breeze. Still can't do the quad though. Jo Derry makes it look so easy.....

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats