Forums > Social Discussion > Pagan Fire Spinners...come say 'Hi!'

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Hi!

I'm a pagan of approximately 8 years and would love to talk to others on the HoP site.

My main area of study and practice is Celtic and Norse based but I enjoy and respect all of the trads. I believe that knowledge comes from exploring all options.

I am the Spirit element in the Church of the Earth of North Carolina. This position gives me the responsibility of answering any questions that others may have about spiritual issues. My position ,if we were a single trad organization would most resemble that of High Priestess of other organizations.

Please feel free to check out our web site...
https://cote-nc.org/

I'm Phoenix66 on the site and can be contacted through the site as spirit@cote-nc.org.

So what's your story? wave

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I've seen alot of both...

There'll be those who do truly grasp paganism as a life path...and then there are those who think it's just cool or that think they can control others thru magick...

Magick is not at all what people think it is...

I don't care how hard you try...you can't change your ex boyfriend into a toad and you can't cast a money spell and make yourself rich...it just doesn't work that way...

Magick is a way to focus your energies and that of the universe in order to affect change in your life...if you have the proper focus, you're going to be more effective in making your life better, so the magick happens, either way...I do believe that there are natural forces in everything that can help you along your way, but I just don't attribute it to an all knowing, omnipotent god...

We all have our divine energy...the spirit within...it's just a matter of acknowledging it in a way that makes us productive and beneficial forces here on the Earth...

Those who abuse their power or use it to hurt others are just hurting themselves in the end, because the negative energy that they are projecting only reflects back on them...

One of my favourite quotes pertaining to this...

'He who digs a hole for another may fall in himself.'
~Confucious~

Each of us has to make our own choices and has the right to them, but it should be a genuine choice; one made with the heart...not on a whim.

Okay, I babble...enough now!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
but if he were a toad it would be such an improvement

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I've been a pagan for nearly two years. I guess the path what I believe is closest to would be shamanism. I meditate regularly (nearly every night) and have contacted my power animal.totem.fetch.spirit guide (whatever you want to call it) many times, I also believe in an energy that binds us all together, rather than omnipotent creator. The only pagan celebrations I really follow are samhain and imbolg, other than that I just celebrate when it feels right to celebrate.

I was glad to see this thread, and how blanced it is. No fundamentalists on either side, which is unusual. biggrin

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
My spirit guide is the crow...and I even have one that visits me regularly and apparently he and a murder of 6 reside somewhere on my property...cuz they're always nearby.

Faith, I agree that it would be sooooo gratifying if it would really work...so I guess it's a good thing that it doesn't...would be lots of toads out there and very few princes!!! ubblol tongue

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Hey guys! I was just wondering if you could do me a favour! I'm doing an assignment on discrimination towards the modern witch/pagan/wiccan/etc community and was wondering if you could answer this survey please. If you arent comfortable filling it out on the site, you can send me a pm smile

Name (this is needed for citation purposes, if you have an issue with giving me your name, please let me know and I can assign you a fake one):

Sex:

Age group (may leave blank):
Under 20
21-35
36-50
51-65
66+

Prefered title (eg; Witch, Pagan, etc):

Years practising:

Are you open about your beliefs?

If yes, why?

If no, why?

In your experience, when people discover your path, what is their reaction?

Had you every experienced any adverse reactions from others?

Were you brought up on this path from childhood?

If no, how were your parents’ reactions?

Do you believe you have the outwards appearance of a stereotypical “witch/pagan”?

Do you think that affects people’s impression of you? How? Experiences?

Do you have any children? If yes, how old are they?

Do they follow the same path as yourself?

Do you know if they have experienced anything in relation to the path of their parent(s)/themselves?

If yes, what?

If no, why do you think not?

Do you think your sex makes a difference to other’s reactions?

Have any of the above differed when living in different cities/states/countries?

If yes, why do you think this is?

Any other thoughts, comments, points you would like to raise?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Name: Stephen Cullen

Sex: Male

Under 20

Prefered title (eg; Witch, Pagan, etc): pagan

Years practising: 2

Are you open about your beliefs? yes

If yes, why?
Because I'm proud of them and am not scared of discrimination.

If no, why?

About fifty fifty between acceptance and hate

Yes

In a way

My mother wasn't bothered

Do you believe you have the outwards appearance of a stereotypical “witch/pagan”?
Doubt it.

No. I don't think I really look like I would or wouldn't. I've never gotten a reaction of surprise, but never gotten the impression that it was expected either.

no.

Do you know if they have experienced anything in relation to the path of their parent(s)/themselves?

If yes, what?

Do you think your sex makes a difference to other’s reactions? no

Have any of the above differed when living in different cities/states/countries?

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Just realized that I hadn't filled this out for you, yet..oooops...so...here goes...

Name: Rebekah

Sex: Female

Age group: 36-50

Prefered title (eg; Witch, Pagan, etc): Pagan

Years practising: 8-10

Are you open about your beliefs? Yes

If yes, why? To help people understand who I am...and so that others will see that 'Pagan' is not synonymous with 'devil worshipper'

If no, why?

In your experience, when people discover your path, what is their reaction? I've had many different reactions...depending on who the person is and what their beliefs are...some are curious and open minded, but then there are others that only think of pagan as being 'bad'...

Yes...I've had people try to tell me I'm going to burn in hell...and I've had others look at me like I'm crazy...but I just don't care...they either accept me or they don't...I'm not gonna push the issue...

Were you brought up on this path from childhood? No...I was brought up in a very traditional Christian home...with very old fashioned values...

If no, how were your parents’ reactions? They know that I have alternative beliefs, but we don't talk religion...we never agree...so it's best to keep it out of conversation...

Do you believe you have the outwards appearance of a stereotypical “witch/pagan”? I don't think there is such a thing, but I do tend to dress a bit different...but that's just me...I've always had my own style...

Do you think that affects people’s impression of you? How? Experiences? I get strange looks occasionally...but most are favourable...and I have complements on my style quite often...especially from the younger crowd...

Yes...and 18 yr old son and a 12 yr old daughter...

My son doesn't...and my daughter really is too flighty right now to follow anything but her own nose...but she does lean more towards my beliefs...

My daughter has had problems at school with other students and even with their parents because of her saying that she's pagan...It shows how ignorance breeds ignorance, because they think that means that she's evil and worships the devil...and I've told that it's best if she just keeps her beliefs to herself...
There is a phrase that is essential to all pagans...
'To know, to will, to dare...and to keep silent.'...it tends to be the best way.

Do you think your sex makes a difference to other’s reactions? No

Have any of the above differed when living in different cities/states/countries? not lived anywhere else...

Any other thoughts, comments, points you would like to raise? I just believe that you have to follow your own path, no matter what other's may think...How are you going to be happy if you let someone else tell you what to believe? Doesn't make sense to me.

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Name (this is needed for citation purposes, if you have an issue with giving me your name, please let me know and I can assign you a fake one): I'd like a new name, my old one is boring, I'd like to be known as Madam Wisteria Flibbleford from now on... (actually it's because of my job)

Sex: F

21-35

Prefered title (eg; Witch, Pagan, etc): Depends on the situation. I tend to use Druid. Sometimes Witch.

Years practising: Weeel I started practicing folk magic about 20 years ago. Officially started calling myself Pagan about 8 ago, and was initiated as a Bard about 4 years ago.

Are you open about your beliefs? To friends and family, but not to anyone who have no business to know the details of my personal life (i.e. randoms and work collegues)

If yes, why? It's a part of who I am, when I joined the priesthood I was making a life choice, not picking up a hobby. Most people who know me well enough don't really need to be told.

If no, why? Because it is none of their business, and I have better things to do than justify my life choices to people.
Because the common perception of Paganism is frequently based on the loony minority with whom I have no desire to be associated, it's easier not to say it, than to have to adjust people's misconceptions.
I wouldn't say I hide it at all, I just don't bring it up. I mean, how often does a work collegue reveal that they are catholic to you? It's just not necessary.

In your experience, when people discover your path, what is their reaction? The majority of people I associate with in my free time, are Pagans, Occultists or at least understanding, so it's pretty much just accepted/expected. I think I would get more of a reaction if i told them I was CofE! I have been in the middle of conversations at work where Paganism has been referred to in a derogatory light, which is another reason not to mention it.

Yes a good few. I started a Pagan society at university and the Christan Union had a field day (the best bit was a poster neatly graffitied with "Jesus loves you", very tiny, in a corner, inoffensively wink) My mother had a fit. I have avoided a lot more by being subtle.

Nope, my mum is a methodist, my dad is a fallen catholic. My mum is very superstitious though, and taught me basic folk magic, she's also really into complementary therapy. My dad taught me a lot of folk and faery lore.

Well, my mum cried, told me I had fallen to satan, took her a long while to get over it, she is still a bit uncomfortable, but she relates on some levels, like the healing aspect. I was planning my wedding at the time and my mum was convinced that noone would come if they knew there was a Pagan blessing. My dad was very quiet, and then rang me a few days later to tell me that he had done some research, and found out that Pagans "don't do human sacrifice anymore" (I think you'll find we stopped before the christians love) so it was probably ok, he's pretty supportive now.

Well I do carry a broom....
Not really no. I'm a bit (ok a lot) alternative, but not hippy-goth, more rockabilly, certainly... different. I do always wear some form of pagan jewelery, at work it tends to be celtic knotwork, an Awen (it's a bit blatent, but only those "in the know" understand what it is) or beadwork like the top one here https://www.bobbinsandbroomsticks.com/personal/jewelery/pagan.html
I must exude some kind of Pagan pheremone though, I'm a teacher, and my students often talk to me about paganism or the occult, I always remain objective however.

Yes, but that would happen whether I was a Pagan or not, I think the Paganism just comes as less of a surprise.

Nope

If I have children, I will raise them with my values, but not belief/practice, they can choose that for themselves when they come of age.

Yes always wink possibly not in the pagan thing. It's hard to say really, not having experienced it from both sides.

When I lived in a big city, with a thriving alternative social scene, and Pagan scene I do suppose there was more acceptance, but again, as I don't go around with a sandwich board that says "witch" on it, random people's reactions are more likely to be towards my appearance than my beliefs (I am currently one of a handful of adult goths in a small town, so I get a lot of funny looks). In the city, I could meet with a lot of Pagans, and be very open about it, without having to explain/justify myself, now there just isn't the population where I live.

In my experience, Pagans arn't nearly as persecuted as you might think. Yes there is misunderstanding, but generally this doesn't lead to aggro if you are not trying to force your beliefs down someone's throat. If someone is jumping up and down in too much black eyeliner saying "oh look at me, I'm all special and pagany, I can turn you into a toad, and I'm so bloody powerful", I'll slap 'em, sod anyone else!
I ran a very open university society for 3 years, and yes, the CU didn't like us, but they got bored when we didn't rise the the bait. Yeah the Islam society had a lot of questions, and the Hari Krishnas wanted to convert us, but the Hindus, some of the other christian groups, and some random agnostics and atheists mixed with us, came to our talks and events, and were very accepting, some even joined (our treasurer one year was also on the methodist soc commitee!). Those outside of this generally ignored us, as we wern't getting in their way.
Paganism is a very individual thing, I have met a lot of Pagans who I have nothing in common with except the term we use to describe our (very different) beliefs. There are things on this thread i would say certainly don't apply to me. I generally just get on with my thing, spend time with people I care about, observe my rituals when I need to, and all is good and peaceful.

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Hey! Well, I Guess I should post here to add my name to the list of Pagans on HOP.

I know it's kinda cheeky but I've got to post this link to our Grove site: The Grove of The Spirit Bear Forum

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Name - Tamara Rees (Tammie)

Sex: female

21-35

Prefered title: Druidess

Years practising:
General paganism - ten yrs, Druidry - 1yr

Are you open about your beliefs?
yes

If yes, why?
You kinda have to be smile

They just take it in their stride

Not yet...

I was christened a protestant, my mother was a catholic though, but we never went to church or anything like that. Besides that, my mum insisted on saying prayers to us every night. We'd gather around her, put our hands together and she would say:
Goodnight my darling (name of child) pleasant dreams, (kiss us and move to next child etc)
May God, all the Saints, and all the Angels in Heaven,
Watch over and protect you, from all harm always,
Amen my little Darlings,
In the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
Amen

Sometimes, other times, no.

Do you think that affects people’s impression of you? well I began in witchcraft, so I'd do the nearly-goth thing. It never really affected peoples impression of me though. Well, not to my face, anyway lol

Yup, two girls, Kirsty, 26months and Stephanie, 6yrs going on 16 lol

we leave them open minded. Though Stephanie was christened at 8months old after she nearly died of meningitis at 6mth old, she is embracing both paganism and Christianity as schools tend to mostly teach it. She does have her own altar though, which she chose to do, and she's already found her totem. She has her own medicine pouch, and she has attended ceremony with myself and sunbird.

IMO Kirsty is the most pagan of us all, as her mind is free of doctrine and religious influence. She has the gift of innocence, and as we all know, as children, we are open to the belief in magic without rationalising it.

No.

no. not yet anyway.

Let children find their own path...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much for your help everyone!

I got my assignment back today - 75%!

Which should give me a distinction-average for this subject! Yay!

ubbrollsmile

*hugs all round for all your help*
grouphug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
HUZZAH! Well done! Glad to help.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yay

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

I got my assignment back today - 75%!

Which should give me a distinction-average for this subject! Yay!

congratulations - well deserved smile

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Woot Woot

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Firewarriornewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Hello from Poland smile

Name (this is needed for citation purposes, if you have an issue with giving me your name, please let me know and I can assign you a fake one): Gosia

Sex: female

Under 20

Prefered title (eg; Witch, Pagan, etc): Pagan, Rodzimowierca Słowiański smile

Years practising: 3

Are you open about your beliefs? yes

If yes, why? why not? biggrin

they don't believe that anyone can believe in this stuff...

sure!

nope

they don't know about that what I believe in

noo biggrin

Do you have any children? If yes, how old are they? i don't have any biggrin

no, why?

yes

in bigger cities people are more tolerant

Sława! smile

Are you as bored as me? smile
466656923 - my ICQ

Page: