Forums > Help! > Whats kerosene in arabic?

Login/Join to Participate

RipopoSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Ok... so i just moved to Tunisia, and im having issues getting fuel for my poi: I need advice redface ok so in french kereosene is petrolé i think... but when i talk about it they think i mean petrol... which has a different name so its all too confusing for me. Im not smart enough to be able to explin kerosene to anyone.... and it doesnt help that i dont speak french... or arabic... or tunisian... wink
At home in aotearoa i could get it at the supermarket - but not in africa it seems... so if anyone has any ideas id be heaps keen to hear em!!
Thanks all x ubbrollsmile

Basking in the glow of the electric ponamu....

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Kerosene in French is simply kerosene, not petrole. And guess what it is in Arabic? Al-kerosene!! (according to my web search)

smile
EDITED_BY: Yell fire! (1158159102)

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Actually, I'm pretty sure kerosene in French is 'petrole', but it is possible it's also just called 'kerosene'. When I lived there I think I used 'petrole lampant'. It seemed to be just slightly hotter than the paraffin I used in the UK, but nowhere near as hot as white gas.

Here's a table of fuel names for different countries. Unfortunately they don't have Tunisia on there, but it might come in useful for some idea of alternative names. They also have french on there.

https://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index.shtml

Btw, what part of Tunisia have you just moved to? I spent a lot of time doing field work there a few years ago.

smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
In France. I think Parrafin is called 'kedane' I met a spinner out there over the summer and the fuel he used was the same as parraffin basically. And he called it kedane.

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Use this:

https://www.google.com/language_tools

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i think in arabic parrafin is "suicide bomb" ubblol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But those are clearly two english words... confused

shrug

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
it was a joke ucof, rolleyes i'm not THAT helpfull ubbloco

Non-Https Image Link

RipopoSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Alright.... so I got something in the end called "gez" you can buy it at a benzene station and its super cheap. Burns with more smoke than kerosene and doesnt smell as good but is ok.
Watch out though cos its illegal to carry fuel around and once the police thought I was a terrorist when they found it.......

Basking in the glow of the electric ponamu....

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
I bet the simplest way to do it all (but maybe not the cheapest) would be to order it off the net and have it shipped in.

Beyond the Continuum.

888GOLD Member
34 posts

Posted:
in french kerosene is ... kerosene
or you can also try lamp oil ... huile a lampe
good luck

breathing is a safe and effective way of fighting death and death relative symptoms...most doctor agree that breathing is an excellent way to stay alive.
it s great!affordable!and great for your sex life!
start breathing today,TODAY!or else..start dying!