musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Very kewl chik from URN recently told me about this. Live steel sword play, a ranking systems, tournaments, and mad training session(you work your way up from blunt blade/full padding). Just wondering if anyone was a part of this, or had anything information on this. The closest thing I've ever heard to this is the SCA, but they're not related. Reminds me of the challenge a kenjutsu dojo in Cali issued a couple of years back, eastern sword play vs western. Was all set to go, but it was cancelled at the last minute Ah well, just looking for a reason to pick up the sword again n do some real sparring..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
hehe, the problem with live steel is that you cant swing full speed

Go with the SCA, sure they use that blue foam for padding at times but they sure as heck hit friggin hard at times.

*cowers from Big John*

He is a nice guy but friggin huge like 6'7" 300+ lbs uses great axes and swords for wars and the old sword and board for turnies hehe

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There is also Amptguard.

Try doing a search for Medieval, Renaissance, Dark Age re-enactment societies. There are a bunch out there now, each with their own approaches to make everyone happy.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
have already been with the SCA, had a blast..Love the rapier melee's n general rapier fighting, and learning more classic techniques(studied from spanish/italian to english/german styles. Talhoffer anyone?). Was just talking to a local scadian last night about this, how heavy fighting(within the sca) has branched off into it's own art, meaning it's become very specialized for the tools(rattan sword n board), and in my opinion has moved away from realistic techniques. Not that this is a bad thing, I would rather learn a different way when it comes to learning more period sword arts than just fencing. After looking around, I think I was given the wrong name. What I've found is ARMA, one of the founders is Hank Reinhardt, of Museum replica's. Here is a link to their site, alot of good reading. And I also heard a rumour that Mr Reinhardt has purchased a nice chunk of land about 4 hours away and plans to start holding tournaments/festivals there(huzzah!). Still not quite sure if it will be for strictly ARMA, SCA, or both. speakin of which ray, good luck to anyone goin to border wars next week!!!

[ 28. February 2003, 07:57: Message edited by: musashii ]

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."