Forums > Social Discussion > Mooncups - something all girls should have

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I'm really suprised this hasn't been metioned before on this site, if it has I'm sorry, couldn't find anything despite extensive searching. And yes, this is a very random thread to post after not being on this site for ages, but there you go.

Ok, perhaps this is a bit of a taboo subject for some, if so, look away now. For those of you who haven't heard of a mooncup, you can find all the information on this website here : mooncup homepage It's basically a silicoln cup, which you insert a bit like a tampon to collect all your period, but it has many advantages over normal sanitary protection.

It's green - you don't need to use many, if any pads anymore (or tampons) so it's much better for the enviroment, your not flushing them down the toilet or filling landfill sites.

It's cheap, for around £20 you can have up to ten years of protection, saving yourself around £360 if you use one for 10years.

It's better for you - no risk of toxic shock syndrome, no dryness/soreness from tampons and towels, no chaffing.

There are many more advantages, such as not having to carry bulky san pro around and you don't have to try to smuggle it ' discretely' into the toilet. No more shoving tampons up your sleeves or taking your handbag into the toilet! No more noisy wrappers.

It has to be said that it takes a little bit of getting used to, but after a few goes you get used to putting it in and taking it out, and you have to cut the stem to get the length right. Once you have, however, you can barely feel it.

The 'ick' factor. I was particulary worried that it might be a bit, well, disgusting, but suprisingly its no worse than tampons and towels. I think this is the thing that puts most people off, but you don't even have to look at the blood when you empty the cup and clean it if you don't want to.

I'd just like to point out i have absolutly no connection to the mooncup company except I happened to buy one of their products and think it was amazingly good and wanted to tell everyone about it. I think you can get simular products known as keepers.

The best thing about it is you can try it for three months (for some it can take this long to get used to it) and if you really have problems that can't be solved by the helpful team, then you can get your money back. But believe me, you won't want to give it up.

So why isn't something that makes sense in every way, not least for the enviroment, more widely known about and used? I guess partly that the huge corporations that make millions pounds a year selling sanitary products, don't want to advertise (such as in schools- the tampon lady) something that will make their products nearly redundant.

If you want more information, then try googling, here are some links I found useful:

The official website again review another review

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.â€

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Although a friend of mine who has had a baby says that hers kept falling out and leaking.

Eww.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
It comes in two sizes - B (before birth) and A (after birth). It does however suggest that if you have problems with the A size then you should do some pelvic floor exercises!

Many women who have given birth use mooncups with no problems.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.â€

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Doesnt seem like something id ever use... dunno why, Ill just stick to what Ive done for years already **shrugs**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have a few friends who use them and love them. Just don't be wearing your favorite lace panties the first time you try it just in case! However, point is that no single method, whether cup, tampon, or pad is right for everyone.

I just deal with issues like these on a regular basis with women (mostly teenage girls from cultural backgrounds where they avoid even looking at their own genitals, in spite of the fact that many of them are pregnant by 15). There is no ideal solution for everyone. What I've learned in my job in working both with women and men on various issues is that my body is not a template for everyone else's.

-Mike

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I do agree that its not right for everyone. You do need to not be afraid of your body to use it, but most women (at least in the western culture) are used to using tampons so should not have a problem with it.

I still think that it should be used more widely though, or at least publicised, considering how much damage used santiary protection does to the enviroment and also considering that many women experience varying levels of discolmfort when using convention sanitary protection, that may be aliveated by using a mooncup. Mooncups can also reduce the embarrasment some women feel about their periods, about 'smuggling' towels or tampons into the toilet, and the noise the wrapper makes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

teeny_tiny_gnomeMember
28 posts

Posted:
Ive always been intrigued by these things and have considered getting one myself. I think the waste reduction factor is a big thing as well as saving money (being a student tis more money to spend on the booze lol)

I also agree that yes people shouldn't be pressurised into using them but the least women can have is the option of whether to use it or not as there are millions that probably have never even heard of the mooncup and would use it

The love shack is a little ol place where we can get together.....

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I have used one of these for years and swear by it. To this list of benefits I would add reduced cramps. I'm pretty sure a lot of the cramps/aches I used to get during my period were tampon related. I have noticed this when "caught short" and I had to use tampons again.

I have never had an issue with leaks, and I empty mine only twice a day, while I would have to change a tampon every 4 hours to avoid leaks.

Most problems people do seem to have is generally down to not using them properly. For example a friend of mine told me she had given up on her mooncup because of painful suction when removing it - it turned out she was tugging on the stalk (which is really best cut off) and not squashing the cup to break the seal.

This link is to a very handy post about folding/insertion which gives some excellent variations that actually work better than the ones advised by the manufacturer:

Image heavy!

We generally only ever hear about press on pads, applicator tampons and non-applicator tampons. A cup isn't going to suit everyone, but if you want to go eco-friendly and cheap, there's still about a dozen alternative menstrual hygiene products out there, if you look hard enough!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

I do agree that its not right for everyone. You do need to not be afraid of your body to use it, but most women (at least in the western culture) are used to using tampons so should not have a problem with it.

You would be amazed. And it's sad. First, Prickly, I appreciate and respect and celebrate the fact that you're comfortable enough in your body to insert something in your vagina and empty and clean it a few times daily. In my opinion, everyone should take a few minutes to liberally explore their own bodies, women and men, because to know thy body is to know its issues. And to know its issues is to prevent disease.

Unfortunately, the population I work with is lower-income, poorly-educated, and minority. In spite of the fact that my teenage girls are sexually active as young as 10-11 (!) and that almost half of them are mothers by age 20, the vast majority will not use tampons or any other device that must be inserted into the vagina because their mothers never discussed their anatomy with them and the subject was always taboo. To them, their genitals are "dirty" and they won't touch them. Most won't use tampons, either. When I do pelvic examinations I always offer my patients a hand mirror so that they can see what I'm doing and so that I can show them their own anatomy. None so far have accepted the offer. It's very sad to me to see this attitude. This is why I can't sell any of my patients on the idea of using the NuvaRing for contraception.

I have similar problems with my boys. Now we guys are raised from childhood to be comfortable grabbing our penises (well we need to pee, right?) but yesterday I had to take an 18-year-old's hand and put it on his testicles so that he could feel his own epididymis (the cord at the back of the testis) so that he would know that that's normal and not a lump. And then I had to hammer into his head that testicular cancer happens in 15-35 year old men and that he needs to do his exams.

It's sad, Prickly, that so many people aren't comfortable with their anatomy, and I suppose this entire post has been a hijack of this thread, but there are so many women out there who are just not comfortable with their own plumbing...and never will be.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
surely it's more discreet to "smuggle" a tampon into a bathroom than to clean out a mooncup? ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ubblol very good point!

I think that I would be very interested in them if they weren't in the UK and therefore I'd actually paying 3 times as much because of exchange rates! I have often wondered if there was another solution to all the landfill created by sanitary products, because as Mike has said, our society isn't open to discussing things like this therefore I had no idea other options were avalible to me.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
I've seen ads for rad pads in magazines and stuff Rougie..*runs off to search for links* ... Rad Pads

I couldn't find an aussie company that sells anything like mooncups but if you really are interested maybe look in a chemist or at health food stores (they usually sell some environmentally friendly bits and bobs that isn't food) shrug

hug me!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Actually now you mention it, I think I have heard of those before!

Totally noting down the shops near me where I can investigate! Thanks ezz! hug

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
Ive never heard of NuvaRing before doc. I think its gonna be worth looking into.

As for moon cups, i really want to try one, but i can't imagine cleaning it out in public places.

I suppose it would be worth getting one for when i am at home.

Oooh so much to think about. smile

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Moon cup - difficult if you live in a van without water...... hee hee. But fantastic to raise awareness of evnironmentally sound everyday products clap thank you PricklyLeaf.

Try the alternatives smile

Rad Pads are ace too - like modern versions of just using and cleaning rags, but so clean, easy, comfortable, healthy, and most of all re-usable. No more throwing skanky horrid unbiodegradable mess out into the environment.

bounce

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was discussing these with my mum tonight (shock horror me talking about these things with my mother!!! eek i suppose that comes with moving out and having an adult-adult relationship, but anyways...)

she said that rad pads were probably just moderns versions of what they used to use and that they'd leak like crazy. basically, she was totally against them. (she was for the mooncups though, as soon as i told her they were better for reducing TSS risk) and that radpads were probably not very clean at all (i'm guessing because of the old stuff they used to have)

any comment from anyone?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Simultaneous post - rad pad stuff above biggrin

There's been a lot of research and development since shoving your pants with rags. They do not leak any more than a normal pad and feel more comfortable, though with any pad you are still just mopping up what comes out so the chances of leaking are higher than internal collecting things.

ubbrollsmile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
such a lovely way with words you have FNF!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
She's right though! I had a long discussion with some friends at school as to which evil was preferable. There's just no nice way to describe the "leaking", "mopping up", or the smells that go with it despite what the package says (I think they put some stuff on pads so they won't smell, but that has its very own evil smell). Or on the other hand, as one of my friends said, "shoving a cotton plug" up. Which is why people don't like talking about it in the first place... and some men get all pale and leave the room ubblol

I guess the only time most people could really use the mooncups is during the night, unless they spend lots of time at home. Apart from it not being very "discreet" or indeed tasteful to wash one of them in a public place, there are places as fluffy says with no water, or that are dirty enough to make you not reuse anything that's been there. But since you bleed less at nights anyways and don't produce much waste, it doesn't matter that much there.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i just had to create artwork for a poster regarding environmentally friendly alternatives to tampons.

its mainly directed at reminding people that you shouldn't flush tampons but recommends mooncups has some handy advice all the same.

thought i'd post the text for it here smile

Written by: a poster

Did you know that:

2.5m tampons

1.4m sanitary towels and

700,000 panty liners

are flushed down the toilet every day?

It takes a tampon six months to biodegrade, a plastic sanitary towel liner lasts indefinitely

Parabens, a chemical preservative which is contained in lubricated tampons (e.g. Lil-lets) is not only an oestrogen imitator, it doesn't break down out in the environment

Plastic wrappers and applicators (which come with tampons such as Tampax Compak Fresh) are not biodegradable

Millions of used tampons and sanitary towels find their way out to sea with the raw sewage - becoming fertile breeding grounds for bacteria such as Hepatitis A and polio

75% of blocked drains are caused by flushing sanitary protection

What can you do instead?

1. Natracare makes 100% organic cotton tampons and sanitary towels.

2. Use a Mooncup (available from Boots). Re-usable and lasts up to 5 years.

3. Use a Keeper. (see https://www.menses.co.uk/issue.htm

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
You seem to assume that everything gets flushed down the loo? (I know a lot of tampons and pads are, but surely here would be the easiest way to make a difference if a woman is comfortable with the brand, size and type of sanitary stuff she's using?)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
you should never flush a santiatary towel down the loo! eek

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Oh Mooncups, hours of entertainment. They've sold them at boots for a long time. Well I say sold, but I dont remember selling one... ever!

All the girls who I used to work with were like... EUGH!!

Ha... still laugh now...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
birgit and jo.

yep, i said that to the author too.
the poster has loads about why you shouldn't flush yet no suggestion/instruction to use the sanitary bins that i'm sure are in all our toilets here at work...

i just lay out the copy and make it look nice - i don't write it wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
So where do those posters go? In bathrooms? And is it for someone who sells those alternatives, or just from someone that thinks it's worth a campaign? And most of all, I can't help but imagine your artwork for it. I'm sure the one you did wasn't half as funny/disgusting as the pictures flashing through my sleep-deprived mind!

I saw one ad (sorry but I HAVE to share) that to me is the ultimate "use condoms" ad... it had a girl with a newly unwrapped tampon and the line "Would you put it inside you if somebody else had been using it?" written below ubblol Pure brilliant.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
they go in toilets, on the backs of the doors.
and its a general campaign run by hr/office management in an attempt to reduce the chances of our waste systems being 'abused'.

i guess they wanted to take the opportuinty to promote more environmentally friendly alternatives to tampons too.

and 'artwork' doesn't literally mean 'pictures' in this case birgit ubblol
artwork just refers to the document in general.
though i did produce options with pictures - mainly 'water' based images like arty photos of drops of water on glass and that kind of thing - they wisely decided to go with the text only version smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Hmm..

The only advertising I've seen for mooncups, ever, is an a5 sticker on the inside of a toilet in the pubs in Hastings.

The sticker must be years old, has lewd graffiti written on it and has bits of it ripped off.

Really the only bit visiable from the advertisement is 'Mooncup'. I guessed it had something to do with the blob, but its nice to find out what it actually is..

Fortunatly for me, the type of contraceptive I'm on means I don't get periods anymore.
But am comming off it I think, as it has turned my brain upside down and inside out and I've been really mean to people, and shouted and screamed and ranted and I don't like being mean or being shouty.

So, periods boo, but mental health boost is a big good.

Going to look into these when the time comes, thanks for posting smile

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
TBH the only advertisments i've seen for it is said sticker, however its generally been on the back of the doors of the "long-drop" toilets at leeds festival.

dosn't really inspire confidence...

however i was interiuged (sp?) and did check out the website etc etc.

i dunno...
i'd like to try it but it's expensive if i just dont like it. if i could be certain it would be wonderful and the thing for me, then yeah i would have no probs...

*thinks*

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

*goes pale and leaves room*

Love is the law.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
The main concern for me is security.
If I'm due on my period I'm always thinking "oh god, am i on? are people laughing at me because I've got blood stains all on my arse??!!"

So the reason i like Tampons is because once it's up, thats it, no need to worry. Plugged!

In theory the mooncup sounds ace, and I am all up for helping out the Earth, I'd just need to overcome the "oh dear god, is it leaking everywhere?!" thoughts.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
jo - there are tampons that are kind to our planet too:

https://www.natracare.com/health_and_environment/your_health_and_environment2.htm

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: