Forums > Social Discussion > Mooncups - something all girls should have

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I'm really suprised this hasn't been metioned before on this site, if it has I'm sorry, couldn't find anything despite extensive searching. And yes, this is a very random thread to post after not being on this site for ages, but there you go.

Ok, perhaps this is a bit of a taboo subject for some, if so, look away now. For those of you who haven't heard of a mooncup, you can find all the information on this website here : mooncup homepage It's basically a silicoln cup, which you insert a bit like a tampon to collect all your period, but it has many advantages over normal sanitary protection.

It's green - you don't need to use many, if any pads anymore (or tampons) so it's much better for the enviroment, your not flushing them down the toilet or filling landfill sites.

It's cheap, for around £20 you can have up to ten years of protection, saving yourself around £360 if you use one for 10years.

It's better for you - no risk of toxic shock syndrome, no dryness/soreness from tampons and towels, no chaffing.

There are many more advantages, such as not having to carry bulky san pro around and you don't have to try to smuggle it ' discretely' into the toilet. No more shoving tampons up your sleeves or taking your handbag into the toilet! No more noisy wrappers.

It has to be said that it takes a little bit of getting used to, but after a few goes you get used to putting it in and taking it out, and you have to cut the stem to get the length right. Once you have, however, you can barely feel it.

The 'ick' factor. I was particulary worried that it might be a bit, well, disgusting, but suprisingly its no worse than tampons and towels. I think this is the thing that puts most people off, but you don't even have to look at the blood when you empty the cup and clean it if you don't want to.

I'd just like to point out i have absolutly no connection to the mooncup company except I happened to buy one of their products and think it was amazingly good and wanted to tell everyone about it. I think you can get simular products known as keepers.

The best thing about it is you can try it for three months (for some it can take this long to get used to it) and if you really have problems that can't be solved by the helpful team, then you can get your money back. But believe me, you won't want to give it up.

So why isn't something that makes sense in every way, not least for the enviroment, more widely known about and used? I guess partly that the huge corporations that make millions pounds a year selling sanitary products, don't want to advertise (such as in schools- the tampon lady) something that will make their products nearly redundant.

If you want more information, then try googling, here are some links I found useful:

The official website again review another review

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
come on now...do you really worry that much about it? couldn't you pre empt your period and plug it earlier with said mooncup? not that i know a damn thing about periods.

oh shite...just noticed that really bad pun at the begginning if my post! ah well...it can stay there for comedy value

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
pre empty your period? im confused ubblol

Written by: jo_rhymes

In theory the mooncup sounds ace, and I am all up for helping out the Earth, I'd just need to overcome the "oh dear god, is it leaking everywhere?!" thoughts.

i get that with tampons anyway though jo

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
what you talking about freya? i didn't make a grammatical error...honestly wink

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

1,007 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubbrollsmile

in theory you could idance. but i and other women who arent on the pill dont know exactly when their period will start each time.

and its not like you can keep it up there for the full duration of the period, you still have to empty it two or three times a day.

which just isnt practical when you have to use public toilets. frown

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
You can put a mooncup in before your period starts to pre-empt it, and its a lot safer to use a mooncup to do this than a tampon as there is a greatly reduced risk of tss with the mooncup (tss with mooncup use is basically unheard of).

As for the public toilet situation- you don't need to empty it as often as you change a tampon so there are many less times of needing to clean it in the first place.

You can wipe it out with tissue, or take a bottle of water into the loo with you to clean it out. Alternitavely you can use a disabled toilet, where they nearly always have sinks in them.

I heard about the mooncup a few years ago, also at leeds festival toilets and thought no way, thats disgusting, its not for me.

Then recently from talking to people, and my best friend getting one made them a whole lot less scary, and here I am now, telling the world how much I love it.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1,007 posts

Posted:
the disabled toilets thing is a good idea.

although i dont think i'd fancy taking one to a festival with me...porta loos and moon cups dont go methinks ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Just for practicality, having to locate a disabled toilet and possibly blocking it for a wheelchair user can be difficult, and isn't very nice. And people will probably give you more looks if you take water to the loo than they will for a handbag. Not that I think that many people are actually that worried about being seen going to the loo with a bag?

I was just wondering about the tampons and tss, I know it happens, but why would it happen less with a mooncup? Is it maybe nearly unheard of because less people use it? After all, once you've cleaned it with paper from a public toilet it's bound to be not that much better than a tampon. I always thought it was more about how clean your hands are, but I have to admit I never read up on it so far.

I'd put a hug for Ado here, but he's done the manly thing and left ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thanks cole hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
It's because the mooncup is a smooth surface, that doesn't harbour the bacteria well, rather than a tampon which is made of cotton (or similar) that provides a huge surface area for the bacteria. More information here...TSS and the use of a mooncup

I wouldn't worry about blocking the disabled toilet. My mums in a wheelchair, and if someone was in the disabled toilet, she'd just wait to use it like you would a normal toilet. Unless you're planning to take camp in there then there really isn't a problem.

I think that when girls are taught about sanitary protection in school then they should be told about mooncups as well as towels and tampons, so at least given the option, and to help break the scepticism that exists. Just like they teach about many different forms of contraception (or at least they did at my school).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
When I was at school I had the idea of inventing a huge suction style vaccuum cleaner type thing, which sucks your period out in about 3 seconds! Awesome!!! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:

When I was at school I had the idea of inventing a huge suction style vaccuum cleaner type thing, which sucks your period out in about 3 seconds! Awesome!!! biggrin

Shh Jo! My womb can here you!

Year 10 PSHE learning about backstreet abortions...aargh...
Makes me get psuedo cramps!

Talking about egg harvestation, abortions, vacuums(?! ubblol) makes my inside lady bits do a funny turn!

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:

And you assume noone else did? Think again:

https://www.mum.org/MenBloExtrac.htm

If I have one thing to say it's "EEEEEEK!!"

Someone earlier commented about them only being available in the UK. There are several other brands available elsewhere with better exchange rates. There's a bunch of links here:

https://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/profile

The Keeper especially is very widely available, and if I remember correctly, they now do a hypoallergenic silicone one, as well as the original latex (which I wouldn't recommend as an anaphylactic latex allergy in the nethers just isn't funny).

And MUM (the first site) also contains *tonnes* of directory links to every menstrual hygiene product ever concieved.

I am now slightly concerned at how much I know about this gubbins so I'm shutting up now! redface

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
eek oh my god!! that's hideous!!!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ubblol it would be funny if you could just vacuum it all out every month. Although a friend told me that she knows someone who can control her muscles to like... expurge it all at once, well most of it... that would be a neat trick, you would have to call it, "going to do a number 3" or something.... ubblol

ummm, back on a more serious note i am wondering why i have never heard about mooncups before.. i mean i have heard mention of it, i didn't know what they were called or how it works. And yet in my house we seem to receive every eco-product catalogue in existance, and hang around all these nice little eco/organic shops, and i've never seen them... yet they have them in boots?! I've seen the biodegradable natracare stuff but no other alternative... but then it's a bit of a weird idea, before this thread i was lead to believe that in existance somewhere was something like an inverse tampon, made of rigid plastic that would've been extremely uncomfortable yet eco-friendly... even with a degree in 3D design it didn't occur to me it might be squishy silicone rubber... makes so much more sense now!!...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I had that idea, too!!

Off-topic about the disabled toilet, I once was visiting a friend who worked at a hospital. I needed the toilet to inject some insulin, but could only find disabled ones on the corridor, so I used one of them. When I came out (didn't take long) a wheelchair driver, her company, AND a hospital employee were shouting at me for using it...

being disabled doesn't mean people have any tolerance for the people they want tolerance from wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NOn

you would have to call it, "going to do a number 3" or something.... ubblol

ubblol ubblol ubblol *finally stops laughing* Why is that so funny?!

I was thinking, between these Nuvarings and Mooncups, some people must permanently have some object shoved up there!

Certainly a very interesting subject, and something I will think about. Shame you can't use it for post natal bleeding though, looks like I shall be walking round with a pad the size of a pillow in my pants for a few weeks then frown

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

1,007 posts

Posted:
 Written by: url=https://www.mum.org/MenBloExtrac.htm

A menstrual cup from the mid-19th century...(From Diseases of Women, 1922, by Dr. Harry Crossen)

does this mean that periods are a disease? umm

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
sure they are! and we get them because we ate that apple!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

1,007 posts

Posted:
ohhh, i need to brush up on my biblical studies.

so we get periods and pain during childbirth?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I was thinking, between these Nuvarings and Mooncups, some people must permanently have some object shoved up there!

Speaking of....what ever happened to that poi up my ladygarden poster?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FreyaJ

ohhh, i need to brush up on my biblical studies.

so we get periods and pain during childbirth?

AND pain during periods, in many cases! And in some even during ovulation. shrug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
as I get older I am now blessed with cramping and mild squirts before my period. Lucky am I rolleyes

Birgit you should be able to inject where you bloody want. Not have to go into scabby loos to do it like a junkie. Grrrr..
I must admit its easier when its someone else jabbing you, looks less junkielike.

I like the idea of mooncups and the Nova ring .

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
it would so not be fun for me, i work in a really small office, there are like two cubicles in the womens, and to use the disabled you need to ask for the key....

to have my (female) boss walk in whilst i'm cleaning a moon cup makes me embarassed just thinking about it.....

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

Birgit you should be able to inject where you bloody want. Not have to go into scabby loos to do it like a junkie. Grrrr..
I must admit its easier when its someone else jabbing you, looks less junkielike.

Well, I do in lots of places, but not restaurants or planes for example. I'm sure people would *let* me, but I'd feel very uncomfortable. And I can understand how a needle can put people with a phobia off food, or possibly cause someone on a plane to panic even if I don't look like an islamic terrorist.

I've injected myself since I was 5, couldn't stand other people doing it to me!

And spanner's right about the disabled loos. Also if anyone just uses them they'll get into as disgusting a state as other toilets, and for someone that HAS to sit on the seat etc that's quite unfair.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

1,007 posts

Posted:
all the disabled loos around here have those special lazer keys that only disabled people carry, which is great for disabled people...and bad for mooncup! ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Maybe you can make some money by designing and selling a Mooncup Cleaning Set wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

1,007 posts

Posted:
what about special toilets for mooncup users?

oh how nice, this site says that "believe it or not you can use your own sterile urine to clean the cup"........ umm

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Maybe special parking spaces aswell...or is that perhaps going too far? wink smile

1,007 posts

Posted:
nah, parking spaces are a good idea too...

i think perhaps i should have put a wink graemlin after the special toilets comments ubblol

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FreyaJ

what about special toilets for mooncup users?

yes! of course!! now what a wonderfull way to be discreet... much more discret than taking your handbag to the regular toilets!!!

hahahhahaha, oh dear! i can just imagine it.... ubblol

Page: