Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Threeworlds - Fire Competition - Gold Coast Australia

Login/Join to Participate

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
After the great little comp we had down in burleigh about two years ago, attracting some great acts and heaps of crowd support, we have finally organsied the next BIG BURN OFF.

We are holding this one in conjunction with the "InTheBin" film festival in currumbin parklands, across the road form the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

The Details

Sunday the 17th Sept.

from 6PM.

Currumbin Parkland (opps. Wildlife Sanctuary)

Entry for Spectators is $5 adults or $10 for families.

The Prizes

The 1st place price for the Ninjas is $1000 (to spend at Threeworlds!)

The 2nd place is $300 (to spend at Threeworlds!)

And 3rd Place is $150 (to spend at Threeworlds!)

For the Grasshoppers the first place is $250 (to spend at Threeworlds!)

Second place $100 (to spend at Threeworlds!)

Third $50 (to spend at Threeworlds!)

At the last comp we saw some really spectacular fire shows, and expect and even higher quality of acts this time around. Also this time around we have two catergories.

The grasshoppers (enthusiasts)

The Ninjas (professional performers)

We will be filming the nights events and there will be live feeds to big screens!! (thanks to Jed from Film Fest)

We will endeavour to make a dvd from the footage and will make it avaiable for sale after the event.

So if you want to get invovled, by having a group enter then get your show together as, in traditional Threeworlds style there is very short notice.

Entry fees for the groups are $35 for Ninjas and $20 for Grasshoppers.

To find out more call the shop +61755260900, and ask to talk with Matt.

Details on our site at www.threeworlds.com.au

Let the FUN continue.

Threeworlds

Fun For Life.

EDITED_BY: threeworlds (1157674516)

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

Email-fire@threeworlds.com.au

SparkfireFire coach - Cirque du Soleil
89 posts

Posted:
Hopefully this time you can get your own soundsystem organised along with wet towels and extinguishers.

Last time our group provided all three.

Also maybe some judge's with spinning experience for full appreciation of technicality would be handy, especially for the ninja section.

Good luck with the event!

89 posts

Posted:
Oh oh.... also you might also want to consider a ban on firebreathing this time after the excessiveness of some groups trying to keep up with the first few acts.

Gets the grass very slippery and is not something you want to encourage in the public. Simple accident could put a big dampener on the event.

I remember Ruben was stuck with a mouth full of fuel for a full minute at the start of his act while a faulty music cue was reset. not tasty.

And for anyone checking out the footage of our performance on the threeworlds site please keep in mind we had been partying the whole day/night before (nimbin mardigrass) and had slept through our second rehearsal, hence the disorder. ( i know, excuses excuses wink

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyroptix

Hopefully this time you can get your own soundsystem organised along with wet towels and extinguishers.

Last time our group provided all three.

Also maybe some judge's with spinning experience for full appreciation of technicality would be handy, especially for the ninja section.

Good luck with the event!

whoa dood! some full on vibes there! I can tell you right now that three of the judges from the last event are fantastic firespinners and have a high degree of techincal ability. Im not just saying that becasue they are my friends either... They actually know what they are doing.

By the way, we came third two years ago at this comp and you had a lovely gig, I really enjoyed watching you perform.
Love Kristy
hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
We put these things on for fun. Not to get all serious. I admit that we are highly unorganised at times, but hey i don't see anyone else putting these things on, so someone had to do it. We run on faith and good will, and thing come together most of the time.

So for all the people that just love twirling and having fun, this is for you.

We are not focusing on the win lose thing, but more on the spirit of it. Getting together doing shows for people. Inspiring people!!

Last year the judging was done by, from memory 8 people, and more than half of them were twirlers. This year will be no different.

Pyroptix, we fully appreciate the sound last time. And your show was awesome, and i think i would have chose you as the winners, but the winning act was so different and beautiful too. (2 points difference!!so it was really close) So really creativity is hard to rate. Everyone was awesome.

The sound is sorted this time round, and we are having big screen feeds on the outdoor film screens. (part of the Gold Coast Film Festival)

I think for anyone going in this one, we would like to encourage a light spirit and less focus on winning. Only one team can win, but everyone who has a go is deserving of acknowledgement and respect.

Also like to add that ANYONE who wants to have a go should.

Last year there were heaps of people a bit intimidated by the whole COMP idea. We have a grasshoppers section this time, and really encourage people to have a go!! Hope to see ya there!!!

Thanks

Jason

Threeworlds.

P.S. Yeah no fire breathing!!!
EDITED_BY: threeworlds (1157675107)

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

89 posts

Posted:
Hey sorry i didn't mean to come across so full on. really hug

It's great that you've taken the time and effort to organise something fun for both the community of fire spinners and the public to share.

I really did enjoy coming up last time, Its a pity i cant make it this year. I hope it goes really well and I'm sure fun will be had by all. Am glad about the breathing restrictions.

hug biggrin ubbrollsmile

I hate when i sound too serious on forums frown

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
No sweat smile

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah we are being a lot more on it about the safety this time all ways round. There will be fuelling and extinguishing zones, and safety will be a consideration in the judging aspect. Fire-breathing = disqualification as far as I recall from my last discussion with the lovely ThreeWorlds lads.

It's not at Burleigh this time either, but at Currumbin, so the whole vibe should be cosy and sweet... smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Damn shame i can't make it up there for that.

Matt and amanda, you are both in my dvd. Perhaps i could enter the UberOz video as an entry for the show??? It's pretty badass, especially on a big screen. PM me a mailing address and i'll send your copy up to you.

smile

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hey looking forward to it! Sounds like it's going to be great.

Is there a ninja lineup yet?

and is it all groups (as opposed to individuals?)

Sounds like it's going to be fun smile

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
The entries are still coming in. We are going for groups again.
Individual fire twirling is cool, but i personally love watch people working together. Last time was the same. Two or more people a must. We didn't actually state it this time around but so far we only have group which is cool.

The line up is yet to be finalized and i imagine it will be finalized about 6:30 on the night smile

Hope the weather is ok, we don't have a rain plan, apart from postponing it. It's all outside of course and there is no cover... Fingers Crossed...

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
The criteria for judging will be:

Technical skills

Group work
not necessarily choreography.. could be contact, character, story telling... but more put into it than just a few people freestyling eh)

Audience response
so we want all you folk watching to whoop it up if you like something!

Safety:
if you light something, you are responsible for putting it out. No Fire Breathing. Other than that the usual stuff... not too close to people, no fuelspray etc

JaiMember
52 posts

Posted:
Im just really upset that i cant be there. I would love to go up there with some people and just play. It would be great to see what people come up with. It will get some of the best twirlers around australia and it would be great to see.

Love to all the people up there. I will come up soon to see everyone. And put me down for a copy of the DVD!

Peace.

Jai.

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
The radar is looking mostly fine on the 128 and 256 k loops as at 4:45PM Su 17/9/06. Is this still on tonight or has the earlier rain today postponed it? I need to know within 30min as I might come down . Thanks

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
UPDATES ???

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
Well, it was on. After seeing the forecast two days ago for thunderstorms in the late afternoon/evening, i was doubtful!!!
But i saw stars in the sky as we stood around in a big circle at the end of the event, gazing upwards, breathing a little.

So there was a great line up of acts. Probably not as many as we would have liked, but given the short notice it was great!! The grasshoppers were cool. Really good to see the young kids having ago, and they were really impressive!! (surprised by the skill levels)

The first prize was taken out by Gold Coaster, Steve and Dan from (everywhere) and Cairns lately, but now in brisbane. .. . and Chinta, one of the Grasshoppers.

Their show was awesome!!! Very dynamic and fluid. Their name LiquaFusion. Man they have it down!!!

All the acts were different. Some saucy, some sacred and another way out and fun!.

So i hope to get some video on the site over the next few weeks. www.threeworlds.com.au

So Big Thanks to all that helped make it happen!!! Matt and Suzy and Gabe, Rick, and Jed from "in The Bin". and everyone else.

There was a good crowd too by the way. I think there would have been a few hundred at least.

We did hardly any marketing, and next year we will pull together a much better show. Jed from "In the Bin" was talking about next year already, and how he wants it a bit more organised smile which is understandable. There was huge disorganisation with the music. People with mp3 players, laptops, cds, and not all of them were working. Pretty hard for Jed, who still did an awesome job pulling it all together.

So if Jed is up for another year we can have a lot more time to prep and let people know when it's on etc. (same time next year!!!) Now that is enough notice smile

Last night i just felt how big this could get, and how cool it is going to become!!! So lets look forward to next year with hopes for more acts and a big push for development of this art form into a more widely appreciated art!!!

smile Jason
Threeworlds

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
Finally got the video of the winners up on the site. Check out

https://www.threeworlds.com.au/life/the-n...nd-details.html

Enjoy

Jason

P.S. You'll need Flash Player 8 to view it. Most computers have this.
EDITED_BY: threeworlds (1163030693)

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Dan's in Brisbane now? someone tell him I have piles of mail for him! I've tried his mobile but maybe it's not working or in a van somewhere wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Is there any chance you can put the video back on Youtube please rather than just from your site? biggrin
I really wanted to watch it full screen frown

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
2009 Fire comp is on the 20th Sept.
To register visit.
https://www.threeworlds.com.au/store/pages/Registration.html

Or if you would like to come watch, all the details are here smile
https://www.threeworlds.com.au/store/pages/2009-Details.html

Looking forward to another great year of super good twirling.

Threeworlds
Fun For Life