• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Poi is cool according to Marie Claire magazine!Good or bad?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
icklepurklegirl

icklepurklegirl

Total posts: 116
Posted:Dear lord...whilst browsing through my housemates trendy fashion mags, I found poi in the 'whats hot' section of Marie Claire!
Watch out for business women spinning near you soon!
Seriously, is this the end of poi as a community of like minded individuals via the death knell of corporate branding? Or is it a possible new influx of lovely spinners?
opinions?

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

Delete Topic

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:skully - you make the assumption that the only reasons you'd be against poi becoming 'mainstream' is either because you do poi because you think it makes you look different/cool or you are a performer worried about gigs.

neither of those apply to me yet the issue still bothers me - its *far* more complicated than you make out...

consider the implications of:

cheap, sweatshop-produced poi underselling quality bespoke manufacturers (e.g. hyperloop)

generic poi classes focused primarily around money making and teaching only the 'moves' rather than encouraging 'play' (i.e. exploration of movement with poi, self-discovery of patterns/moves, self-expression etc.)

inexperienced people deciding that they can spin fire long before they're ready and with no-one to guide them

supermarkets stocking poi and undercutting independent online and real-world shops

and for the record, i was *kidding* when i suggested selling out to swanky gyms wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:they were selling poi at Butlins!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:I know you were kidding, but... it's such a good idea to make money! And you COULD teach it in a fashionable yet responsible way, and make sure they buy the right toys and all smile Though I was only kidding, too, I can't see myself working for a gym ubblol

Though let's be honest, inexperienced people playing with fire is not much to do with a sellout. More with bad teachers and alcohol and drugs, and it's happening all the time! Don't think the typical Marie Claire reader will go straight for the fire, but rather for flashy sparkly things. And I'd stereotype them as slightly more careful and scared of burns than your average hippy spinner, though I may be wrong.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Skulduggery
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain

Total posts: 8428
Posted:Yes Cole maybe I was being a little bit simplistic.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:hug skully hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

GothFrogette
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy

Total posts: 3999
Posted:i personaly have no problem with it, more people should spin IMO its so much fun... hehehe i infected lots of people in my town and its wicked seeing them all in the park etc having fun. i would prefer to see this than the usual drinking etc. Heck they even stop drinking as much as it means they can not Poi without hitting either themselves or others.

kids drinking or kids poi-ing... yeah poi wins every time.They make me so proud.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

TotalEclipse
GOLD Member since Aug 2006

Total posts: 120
Posted:I've been sparking poi off in all directions to various family members and friends of mine, and its great to see them getting a kick out of it. While there might be more people thinking about doing fire long before they are ready, there will also then be a heightened awareness about the dangers. Any horror stories will go very public if it is a big thing, and fire accidents will probably remain at a constant proportion of spinners.

I for one spend much less time (ironically, considering my current positon) on the computer and/or bumming around since I took up poi and staff properly - I notice the difference in my badminton play as well. I spend less time sitting about, and its good. If that gets transferred to others - brilliant!

Delete

Twisthem488

Twisthem488

Total posts: 187
Posted:I'd be all for it. Remember when Yo-Yo's became the cool thing to do over here in the states? Everywhere you went you could start playing around with people and have fun. There more of an emphasis on yo-yoing. I even saw an article or two in sports illustrated about big comps. Companies sales were going up, and so they started comming out with better more revolutionary designs. I dont think poi will become mainstream, but I dont see it as being a much of a bad thing if it does.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:it'd be better than no-one knowing what poi is!!

Stranger: "what's poi?"
Me: "well, it's like swinging balls around on string"
Stranger: "oh,,,sounds...great"

Poi is fun yay! and it might keep some of these youngsters off the streets and into the fields to play smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

poig

poig

marmite and nutella sandwich

Total posts: 1590
Posted:Poi was being done at Soul Survivor as well (don't ask what it is)-it's everywhere! Yay biggrin

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:*bump*
has any one seen an influx in poi-ers?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:I'd say it just to get spanked by Durbs. wink

Thing is, it's been in alot of magazines and tv shows through the years and this debate comes up each time. Lots of threads about it.

Just like Cardio strip and all that was hot. Whatever.

In the next month edition it's something else and this is forgotten...leaving it for all of us to whap ourselves gleefully with! biggrin

Nope, no influx.
Just the same old tree huggers as always. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

polarity
SILVER Member since May 2005

polarity

veteran

Total posts: 1228
Posted:Poi at Soul Survivor?

I think Froggy may be partly responsible for that too wink

It'd be interesting to see the site's server logs, to see how the number of people signing up changes.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:when will yoyo be cool again?

damn I don't do poi that must mean I'm not trendy.. Damnit and I try soooo hard. wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

poig

poig

Posted:Yoyo got banned in the U.K ubblol frown Too many kids were strangling themselves (probably 1 knowing the health and safety these days)

Thanks polar, did you mean froggy or goth frogette or someone else completely? wink

EDITED_BY: poig (1164643607)

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

Minispin

Total posts: 110
Posted:poi will get banned coz of that eek

Minispins Gunna spin you!

Delete

Mynci

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Posted:Poi will get banned because it's lame wink no other reason other than groin pain (I just can't get passed that ubblol ) .... yoyo's strangle people... now why havn't I tried THAT one yet ubblol must be in the advanced moves section of splitting the atom...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted: Written by: poig

Yoyo got banned in the U.K ubblol frown

where and when did that happen?!

there was a yoyo competition in gloucester earlier this year:

i wonder if the police know about this illegal hotbed of dastardly crime...

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted: Written by:

and they will all have glow poi (fire being far too dirty of course)

woo, bring it, they'd all be buying Hyperlights, that way I can see at least one of my friends happy and wealthy doing something they love biggrin

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

poig

poig

Posted: Written by: coleman

Written by: poig

Yoyo got banned in the U.K ubblol frown

where and when did that happen?!

there was a yoyo competition in gloucester earlier this year:

i wonder if the police know about this illegal hotbed of dastardly crime...

wink

cole. x

It happened recently, i got told by a relation, so i'm not totally sure it's tue umm

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:offtopic

i think they must have been referring to this story:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=consumer&id=4781053
br>
its not even a yoyo - its a dodgy rubbery toy thing.
watch the video and you'll see how it could easily end up wrapped around a kid's neck while stretched which would then choke them as it tightens up...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

poig

poig

Posted:No- i know about that-that was a while a go, but they definantly said yoyo umm

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:(that story is from last week)

but if they definitely said yoyo and this country, they're making it up i reckon tongue wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

poig

poig

Posted:umm
I'm very confused now *implodes in confusion*

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Sorry to transition back on topic but I missed this thread the first time through.

Poi wasn't cooler in 2003. Nor was it cooler in 2001 when I wrote this thread on the Poi Fad.

It wasn't cooler when you started. It wasn't cooler when I started. It won't be cooler when some newbie starts it tomorrow.

It's not going to be more or less cool when they start giving them out at starbucks.

It's going to stay exactly as cool as it always was.

It was you that was less cool back then. Your less coolness made the poi seem cooler by comparison. Now that you've gotten cooler the poi seem less cool when they haven't changed at all.

cool

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:what if you weren't cool to start?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

=Flashpoint=
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

=Flashpoint=

Pasta of Muppets

Total posts: 2719
Posted:Hang on, i'm *still* not cool!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Delete

blu_valley

blu_valley

fluffy mess

Total posts: 197
Posted:...and I'm pretty damn sure that I've gotten a little less cool over the years...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Delete

Mynci

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Posted:true wink
i however get cooler evey passing minute the only time I'm NOT cool is when I'm flailing my arms around with a pair of poi....

I have to say it's not the poi that's cool, it's the person doing cool stuff with the poi... I couldn't make poi cool if I spun in a freezer

Delete

Neon_Shaolin
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

Neon_Shaolin

hehe, 'Member' huhuh

Total posts: 6120
Posted:That's your new years resolution for the year Mynci sorted...

Now to get a freezer big enough for you...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Delete

Page: 123