Forums > Social Discussion > Croc hunter Steve Irwin has died in an accident!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Breaking news..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/2/10ebw.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.

"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.

Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".

He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.

He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.

In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo.

The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hope those idiots realise that their actions are both reactionary and ultimately disrespectful to the memory of Steve Irwin who spent his life trying to preserve wildlife whilst still (admittedly sensationally) pointing out the dangers of such creatures. frown

It may be jumping the gun to assumed the death of the stingray are linked but it's too closely linked to be a coincidence. Seems more likely that this was just an exucse for people to fuel their own bloodlusts instead of actual retribution. angry

It kind of reminds me of Peter Benchley who wrote the original novel 'JAWS' who said he regretted writing the book the way he did as the book and the resultant film has played a hand in driving the Great White Shark to to near extinction.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I heard on the radio this morning that this wasnt a case of people mutilating them for that sake. They dont condone it but it has been happening for years, apparently fisherman cut off the tails to avoid being stung when unhooking them

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
It's true... I've caught a stingray (Accidentally) before, and I'll tell you now a shark is easy to catch compared to one of those things... You put 'em on the deck, beat 'em with an axe handle, and then lop their barb off before they can get you...

But yes... There has been a surge of them recently...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
It's made me so angry than people have been "seeking revenge" on these creatures.
The Stingray which killed Steve Irwin was protecting itself, it was a defence mechanism.
The whole point Steve Irwin was making with his work was "wow! isn't nature amazing, and we should conserve it, and love it".
I think he'd be disgusted with these morons. I can't believe people can be that stupid frown

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I agree Jo, if they're meant to be fans of his, then why are they undoing everything he worked for. It's crazy.

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
hey, Steve's memorial will be on Animal Planet tonight for anyone who is interested. it is on here at 8pm tonight (tuesday) Central time in USA.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
yeah, it's going live in Aussie, USA and Asia, but not in UK, gonna have to wait to see it.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I'm wrong, for anyone in the UK, it's on at middnight Animal Planet
EDITED_BY: pixiejester (1158700579)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm jumping in on this late but I saw him in an interview a few year back. He was specifically expanding on the fact that he hated being called "The Crocidile Hunter" as he spent his life trying to SAVE and PRESERVE crocodiles. He hated even more being compared to "Crocodile Dundee" who WAS a crocodile hunter (even having croc skin boots which Steve would certainly never have had.)

I guess he never really escaped that incorrect label, even in death.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
OK. This is sick.

My flatmate found on www.youtube.com several videos claiming to be Steve Irwin's death footage. I knew that none of them were because the video hasn't been released to the public as it was in the hands of the coroner and has probably since been burned like the Brandon Lee footage.

But the awful thing was the various videos were of stingrays swimming about then at the end there was a cue card that said something like 'to view full video long on to www.bloodmoney.com'

People making money out of the death of others. Sickening but Hollywood's been doing it for decades...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well, if somebody's cashing in on his death...

at least it's only his daughter.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
They did Australian story on the Irwins last night and spoke of the Series Bindi was doing with her dad soon to be released. Was a bit sad to think there wont be more new footage. Bindi has the same zest and life that Steve had and will be a force to be reckoned with in her own right.
Terri though looked haunted. frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Steve who?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: ...