Forums > Social Discussion > Croc hunter Steve Irwin has died in an accident!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Breaking news..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/2/10ebw.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.

"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.

Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".

He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.

He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.

In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo.

The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Written by: steve's dad

He certainly did die doing something he loved doing, and that's a lot better than getting hit by a bus...

That's a damn beautiful quote right there. So true!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

Irony perhaps. I dont find the urge to laugh out loud about it, and then post on a forum that I giggled when someone died. I think that is disrepectful and cold.

Different people, different reactions, Valura. I might share your opinion, but shrug

Besides as a diver I know stingrays and am completely bewildered by this event. I somehow missed the link to the video of the accident, could someone post it for me again, please?

And yes, I do believe that this video should be shown. Stingrays are very peaceful animals and only attack in self defense. I'd be curious how close he had to get or what the situation was like - to be better prepared on my next dive.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
The tape shouldn't be released EVER, the poor guy(s) that had to witness it said it was 'traumatic...it's someone dying' why would they want other people to watch that?

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I get your point, pixie. But as I said: Stingrays are VERY peaceful animals. They lie buried in the sand on the ocean floor, hard to be spotted by a diver.

It can be his last demonstration on wildlife and "how (not) to" approach it...

Motivation to watch somebody die? "Curiosity" would be too profane to express my motivation... as I said, stingrays are peaceful, fishermen get stung by stepping on them in shallow waters... I wonder whether he touched or threatened him in any way - to spread and backup my principle "STAY OFF WILDLIFE!!" Even though they are no killermachines they deserve to be left alone by humans...

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
The stingray felt threatened, they were just to close to it, and it felt trapped so it lashed out. If I were to watch it it'd be out of curiosity too, but unless Terri and his family say, that tape shouldn't be watch.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Certainly agreed upon this one.

But what does it take to make a stingray feel trapped and defend itself? IMO there are myriads of unexperienced divers out there, who urgently need proof in order to finally leave the (aquatic) wildlife alone.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
He was swimming above it, in shallow water, the camera man was to it's side, that's how it felt trapped.

One more thing, and I dont wanna turn it into a rant, but whoever posted that link, what the hell were you thinking!? There are young people on this forum, and you dont just post it where you feel like, it's disreptectful.

That whole day should be kept to his family, and unless they tell us anythings else that's how it should stay.

As for that tape, I dont want my last memery of Steve to be his death. That'll stick with you forever.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pixiejester

One more thing, and I dont wanna turn it into a rant, but whoever posted that link, what the hell were you thinking!? There are young people on this forum, and you dont just post it where you feel like, it's disreptectful.

I am not sure who this was aimed at, but I haven't found any links in this thread to be disrespectful- they are mostly web news pages reporting the incident confused

About whether the footage should be shown or not, as I already said: If that is what he and his family would have wanted/want- which is being reported to be true then so be it. To add to that, yes I think I am a little curious as to how these animals attack now, and agree with Firetom that valuable lessons can be learned BUT I would have issues watching someone being stabbed in the chest. I had the misfortune to be with a colleage when he was stabbed in the arm. I didn't witness the actual stabbing, but the aftermath was traumatic enough- and he didn't die.

Even memories of that event are enough to know that I could not cope with watching this footage, and I think I am quite unshockable. I think a lot of people may watch it because it is being so publicised- and I fear some may just for sensationalistic reasons...and not be prepared for how it will actually affect them.

One would hope they would put severe warnings directly before it is shown.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think they should put together what they filmed so far and broadcast it, but miss out the final bit where he had his accident. They probably will actually and fill up the rest with some images and RIP sort of shots.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
thing is, according to news reports, he wanted his death to actualy be broadcast. He wanted people to see that he was dealing with dangerous animals and that if that was the way he met his creator then that's what he wanted people to see.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
before steves untimely death he was interviewed on a childrens telly show, he was asked all sorts of questions like....

"where dose you love of animals stem from, your favorite animal etc"

he was then asked........

" so, steve...................what was your favorite childrens show when you where growing up?"

he thought about it for a second and replyed.

" aww mate when i was growing up there was so many good shows i used to love, thunderbirds was amazing but there will always be one show that has a special place in my heart................

STINGRAY"

ROTFL ubblol

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Ravehead have you not read the rest of this bloody thread?

ooooops

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
when i die - if anyone suddenly decided that they cant make bad jokes about me because im dead - im going to come back and haunt them. perhaps thats just my wierd sense of humour though. wink

are the deceased off limits from humour? perhaps thats room for a different thread (i think the myers-brigg indicator uses catagories as 'thinker' or 'feeler' which would be a good reference)

my reaction to the entire thing was best decribed as a 'rueful giggle' - sure its sad he's dead - condolences to his family, that man did alot of good for the world which he clearly wanted to protect - maybe the humour is in the irony of being killed in the process of making another documentrty to show how beautiful the natural world is? the double irony is being killed by a relatively peaceful sea creature when he had been wrestling crocs for goodness knows how long. thats probably why i had a bit of a 'rueful giggle.

Insensitive? who knows - its just how my brain works - i still feel emotion - but my brain will always tickover and find some humour in this crazy world we live in - any will especially find some way to laugh at myself.

E. ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1157784645)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Here we go... take 2

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
nah mate Im out.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
O.k then, I will.

No, I don't think the deceased are off limits from humour.

I do however, think that posting such jokes in a thread people are obviously using to leave tibutes/condolances, and less than a week after the guy has died is not apropriate.

Sure maybe Steve would be looking back on his accident and laughing (?!) at some point..but right now maybe he would be thinking more about his family, and how they are never going to see him again. I don't think he would be finding that humerous.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ditto bad taste ravehead, bad taste

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
Yes. i have been offended by a couple of the remarks made on this thread.

i think a separate thread should be created for those who want to laugh and discuss his death. i thought it perfectly clear that this thread was for remembrance and condolences.

I know not everyone is all that affected by Irwin's death, but this is a place for people he did touch. find your own thread to berade this great man.

soapbox

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
 Written by: misscorinthian

Written by: pixiejester

I am not sure who this was aimed at, but I haven't found any links in this thread to be disrespectful- they are mostly web news pages reporting the incident confused

About whether the footage should be shown or not, as I already said: If that is what he and his family would have wanted/want- which is being reported to be true then so be it. To add to that, yes I think I am a little curious as to how these animals attack now, and agree with Firetom that valuable lessons can be learned BUT I would have issues watching someone being stabbed in the chest. I had the misfortune to be with a colleage when he was stabbed in the arm. I didn't witness the actual stabbing, but the aftermath was traumatic enough- and he didn't die.

Even memories of that event are enough to know that I could not cope with watching this footage, and I think I am quite unshockable. I think a lot of people may watch it because it is being so publicised- and I fear some may just for sensationalistic reasons...and not be prepared for how it will actually affect them.

One would hope they would put severe warnings directly before it is shown.

It wasn't aimed at you, but someone did post the link here, cuz someone said (something along the lines off) 'if anyone has a link to it, post it AGAIN' which means it was posted but proparly removed.

And you're right, warnings should be posted with it, so people dont watch it.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
rolleyes oh plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaese............so this is supposed to be a tribute thread, a discussoin........ get a sense of humour people!

if this is a tribute thread.......... will it be printed out in and delivered to his widow? i doubt it.

your all ghouls, being all "woe is me what will we do now" to put your opinion across, well i have my own opinion and it is as valid as the next persons. it may not conform to the fluffy beliefs of some but at the end of the day it was a frigging joke.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
ravehead, I didn't see anything wrong with your joke, rather laugh then sit round crying, right? well that's how I see it anyways.

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
I don't think its the fact people joke, cos yeh they will, but its the way it was done! in this thread there are obviously people posting who were effected by his death, people that may well be offended by jokes such as that. OK so don't agree with their opinion, they may not agree with yours,but the least people can do is respect other peoples opinions. yes this works both ways, but if someone is effected by something its just nasty to make jokes about it there and then.
there is a time and a place for these things, and i dont think this was either! so maybe a seperate thread would be apropriate here?!
by all means, joke, laugh, cry, have your own opinions, but respect other peoples too!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING

Endless visions fill my head – this man – as large as life
And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife
Because the way I see Steve Irwin – just put everything aside
It comes back to his family – it comes back to his pride

His animals inclusive – Crikey – light the place with love!
Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above
The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch
Living out his dream and in that classic ‘Stevo’ crouch

Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek
It’s one thing to be honoured as a champion unique
It’s one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved
It’s another to be taken in and genuinely loved

But that was where he had it right – I guess he always knew
From his fathers’ modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo
We cringed at times and shook our heads – but true to natures call
There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all

Yes the more I care to think of it – the more he had it right
If you’re going to make a difference – make it big and make it bright!
Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first!
But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst

A world so large and loyal that it’s hard to comprehend
I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end
To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration
May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation

…My daughter broke the news to me – my six year old in tears
It was like she’d just turned old enough to show her honest fears
I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
His little girl explained it best…she said “The crocodiles are crying”

Their best mate’s up in heaven now – the crocs up there are smiling!
And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling
As sure as we’ll continue with the trademarks of his spiel
Of all the tributes worthy – he was rough…but he was real

As sure as ‘Crikey!’ fills the sky
I know we’ll miss ya Steve…goodbye

RUPERT McCALL 2006

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
What I meant was it wasn't a tasteless madeup joke, it was what Steve had said in the past. If it was as bad as some of the other jokes I've seen (not just on here) I wouldn't have said it.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Steve is meant to layed to rest (or already has been, I'm not sure) at his Zoo, which I think is a nice place for him.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Yes its definitely the most suitable place. He loved that place more than anywhere else

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
I love this pic...

Non-Https Image Link

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
these people are idiots

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
OMG that's horrible!

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

these people are idiots

cole. x

Yes. They certainly are. frown

Page: ...