Forums > Social Discussion > Croc hunter Steve Irwin has died in an accident!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Breaking news..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/2/10ebw.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.

"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.

Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".

He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.

He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.

In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo.

The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
RIP Although you body is no longer on this planet you soul will forever remain in our memoarys and hearts. Although your death was premature you died doing what you believed in and what you cared about.

All our thoughts are with your family now though this terrible time.

Rest In Peace To a man who made the world a better place

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
RIP Steve Irwin.

A man with a passion, that spread to others.

You will be missed.

frown

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
I am at a loss. I just don't know what to do with myself. I really didn't think I would be so affected. but I have been crying all morning.

i love the Crocodile Hunter. I feel blessed that steve and Terri and Bindi and Bob let us all into their lives and hearts. I feel a connection to their family. I love nature and subsequently nature shows and i loved watching the passion and sheer awe of Steve. My deepest sympathies to Terri, and i hope one day that Bindi will take over and run the zoo just like her daddy. I know that Steve has made a huge difference all over the world and I know his spirit will live on. All we can do is remember his conservation and educational message and pass it on.

We miss you Steve! frown frown beerchug

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
bye bye steve hug frown

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Doesn't the fact that a stingray is a relatively placid animal make you wonder what he was doing to provike it though?

He didnt intentionally provoke it. It was an accident through and through. A little respect from people "raining on the parade" is proberly a good thing right now...

I feel for his family the most. Terri was hiking on cradle mountian and found out after the rest of the world.
I have spoken to Steve Irwan on the phone before, helping to set up insurance for his house which is on the Australain Zoo land. He was a pleasure and is truley a great man for the effort that he made with Australias wildife and conservation.

Its an aim in many peoples life to make a positive change in the world and I personally think that Steve Irwan did just that, and would have passed knowing what a difference he had made in so many animals and also peoples lifes. I for one respect him for that, even if I did find the 'crikey' buzz irratating.
RIP Steve

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
He will be sadly missed...

But didn't take em long did it???
Found this on web

"Steve Irwin wasn't killed by a stingray, he was killed by Chuck Norris in a Ray Suit..."

"Steve Irwin should've been wearing sunscreen, that protects from harmful rays"

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
In bad taste Moka in bad taste........I mean the body's not even cold yet......as already discussed lets keep this thread RESPECTFUL!!!!!

R.I.P. Steve ubbcrying

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
IMO:

Steve was a bloody decent bloke. He loved his family, he loved his wildlife and he loved his country. His death is a tragedy because he did touch so many peoples lives (even if it was just through a tv screen) by demonstrating his passion for wildlife and conservation in everything he did. He will be missed, by many little tackers around the world, to whom he was a hero, the 'Crocodile Man'.

I always thought he was pretty invincible myself... frown

Currently on the right side up of the world.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
you cant help but laugh really, obviuosly when any good person dies its not a good thing and its a sad situation (rip and all that ), but when i heard that steve irwin died by stingray i did crack up from the inside, it is almost too funny to be real, i hope that other people, can appreciate or come to appreciate the humor of this tragedy. i hope wherever steve is now he is having a good giggle too hug

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: oli

you cant help but laugh really, obviuosly when any good person dies its not a good thing and its a sad situation (rip and all that ), but when i heard that steve irwin died by stingray i did crack up from the inside, it is almost too funny to be real, i hope that other people, can appreciate or come to appreciate the humor of this tragedy. i hope wherever steve is now he is having a good giggle too hug

eek eek eek

You are kidding.

Its not funny at ALL Oli. All I can think of is what if his wife or child read some of these comments?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:

I'm greatful somebody said that before I did.. hug
I did the same.
Was watching the news with family and laughed out loud. Felt quite bad about it actually..
I (dare I say it) found him quite annoying.
But he is now a piece missing from what must have been a very happy family frown

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

eek eek eek

You are kidding.

Its not funny at ALL Oli. All I can think of is what if his wife or child read some of these comments?

Valura, some have a differing views on death. It's a tragic event and even more tragic for the family he leaves behind. But it has some irony in it, wouldn't you agree?

Creates more of a legend, than the headline he died in one of these events. I think it was a good way for him to go, he didn't have to suffer long and he died whilst doing what he liked to do most.

When looking at it in a few years time, I'm almost certain that even his wife will find compassion for some of these comments...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:

yeah i know what you mean. it is sad that he dies but the first thing i said was Crickey!!!! in a very bad accent. and hell i loved the guy and cried loads

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

yeah i know what you mean. it is sad that he dies but the first thing i said was Crickey!!!! in a very bad accent. and hell i loved the guy and cried loads

Me too!!! It was the first word that came into my head and i thanked him for the comedy value.

Love is the law.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Written by: GothFrogette

Me too!!! It was the first word that came into my head and i thanked him for the comedy value.

Me Three.:( but smile

I think there's certain people that walk this earth that just ooze charisma and humour. Steve Irwin was one of them.

Yes there were times when i watched programmes and found him slightly irritating, and ones where i was amazed by how much he cared about what he did. There were also other times when i had tears rolling down my cheeks with laughter, and times where i was left completely stunned and bewitched by what i was watching.

Some people have the rare quality of having a really special sparkle in their heart.

He was one of those people.

I knew one of those people once who also died unfortunately young, and his funeral was one of the funniest days of my life. It was filled with jokes about some of the silly things he used to do and generally took the p*ss out of him because his "sparkle" and humour was what we all loved so much about him. We all left in tears, but they were mainly for joy not sadness.

I've seen all sorts of jokes circulating the internet regarding his death today, and yes admittedly, some of them are in rather poor taste, but others are actually quite funny, and I have faith that his family will see it that way too, after his wife chose to marry him, and how could you not love humour married to man like that? smile

Don't rest in peace, you're too young to.
Shake it up a bit up there for us will ya! wink

grouphug angelblue biggrin

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
RIP Crocodile hunter.

He made a few of my Sunday mornings too and it was amazing to see his true and honest fascination with animals "there is another one *jumping in the brush re-emerging hugging a cobra* look at this beauuty"

His films have certainly helped to create enthusiam for wildlife which is the fuel for any preservation efforts and he has taken away the pest image of some dangerous animals which is vital for a healthy eco-balance.

That he made money doing so can hardly be used against him.

Oh yeah he had it coming ... but that was apparently his life and it ended like he lived it.

He wasnt fake so he will not be forgotten.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well if there is an after life that all living things go to i am sure he is there wrestling the crocs that used to be bags. He was indeed a great and very funny guy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
According to CNN, his wife and family were alerted before it went to the news. I feel horrible for his children the most. I saw an interview with Bindi yesterday, from when she was 5 or so. She was saying how silly her dad is, how her favorite thing was to play with him in the pool because he threw her really high and how she loved him so much. How she couldn't wait for her new brother to grow up with him. It was so sweet and heartbreaking.

Jack Hanna, a more subdued yet very important in the U.S. wildlife preservationist,educator and conservationist released a public statement that Steve's enthusiasm and charisma helped bring to the public forefront the issues concerning global wildlife, where those with more subdued natures had tried for years. It was a lovely eulogy.

That mans passion for life was unparalleled. I very much appreciate the zest and zeal with which he lived.
His enthusiasm for his job inspiring.
His charisma and presense is something so many trained performers will never have, and yet it was natural for him.
His dedication to his family touching.

However, I would like to say that while a couple on here are saying how he made millions blah, blah, blah...have you ever seen his work abroad?
I have.
He helped refurbished zoos and save wildlife refuges around the globe, not just for crocs or large creatures either. Much of the time he wasn't even at the Australian Zoo because he was travelling to save animals in some remote area.
When one of our zoos here burned, he was one of the first to come help.

That man did not see animals by size, or focus on just certain ones he thought were entertainment worthy, and he didn't just focus in his backyard. He saw the world on the whole and appreciated everything in it, no matter their size.

I think that we are not blind at all to say that he was a great man. I have seen far less good-hearted people be on the list for sainthood canonization and far more politicians be celebrated in their deaths (not for their deaths), who did not deserve an ounce of the respect that Steve Irwin should get.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
BRAVO Pele ....summed up nicely wink

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:

i am totaly with Pele and i think he should be known as Sir Steve.... hell they knighted the UK rugby team for hecks sake

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
https://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/art...oadcast_1007314

Should the death of the Croc Hunter be broadcast?

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
If he really said those things, and it really is what his family wants, then I guess so.

I don't think I could watch that though.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
oli, i also laughed when i heard about it. mainly cuz last week my american friend was here and we were going through the vids at ebaumsworld, one of them was of him getting bitten by a snake. and he totally deserved it (not dying... the bite) for poking a deadly snake.
i just couldnt help but laugh at it. but it's still sad he died, just kinda ironic.
and i think they should air it if thats what he wanted.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

https://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/art...oadcast_1007314

Should the death of the Croc Hunter be broadcast?

You know what? Yes.
He lived his life to show the potential danger in these animals. He lived showing that we not only need to preserve their habitats, but that they need to roam free.

He has always shown his bites on tv. When the alligator enclosure was flooding and he went in to sturdy up the fence, he was bit and they showed it.

When he was bit by snakes, or spit on by the cobra, they showed it...and the subsequent med attetion to show what happens.

Even when Terri was being bitten they showed it.

It was part of the point.

So yes, they *should* show it. To not would be a travesty in the scope of his life. However, whether or not I will watch it, well, that is another story.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
https://www.break.com/index/steve_irwin_tribute.html

Tribute for Steve, this is really the first thing that got me sad and made me realize that he`s actually gone.. frown

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying That was nice

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Thankyou for sharing that fyre, it brought a tear to my eye. frown

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
yeh.. makes me sad everytime i watch it :/

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

Page: