Page:
GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ok search has been done on here and on google and i am still stuck.

The man who runs Nuneaton juggling club is talking about putting me in a street entertainment competition? All i have to do is a 10 minute spot entertaining the crowds, All the other entrants are singers or guitarists. thing is its next saturday and i have not done anything of this kind before.
i could probably run up a costume once i find a sewing machine off a friend but honestly at the minute i am just in shock.
I could swap toys, but all i do is staff and poi. cannot even bring the fire out and don't know much staff. its different when you are actually street entertaining as people generaly just walk by and either throw money or insults, but this is just standing there and letting them watch !!!!!!it doesn't make sense, i can spin at workshops, shows etc but the thought of this scares the censored out of me

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
hey that means the man who runs the club thinks you rock and wants you to show your talents....as for the show you'll do fine as long as you have fun ^_^ hug

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
The trick to street performance is interacting with the crowd. You make them stop because you are offering them something that they don't get from the televison - interaction with a human being.
So don't just put a hat down, spin poi and hope that people give you money, talk to them, make jokes with them, get them jumping and shouting. Your show doesn't have to be that technical, as long as it capture's people's interest and entertains them.

10 mins really isn't very long to build a crowd, put on a show and hat round, so you need to think of a way to make your crowd building entertaining.

But my experience doing street is quite limited ... so I'm not exactly sure what to suggest

Not a spinner!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
 Written by: KontaktStab

The trick to street performance is interacting with the crowd.

thats the part that scares me the most

240 posts

Posted:
To be honest, its a lot easier than you think it will be.
The first time i had to compare our street show, I was censoreding myself, but one you get out there, its pretty fun.
When you are in the center of a circle of people who are all looking to you to entertain them, you suddenly have a lot of power, and it gives you a lot of confidence. Talking to people becomes a lot easier.

Best advice I can give you, never take no for an aswer. If you ask someone to do something, make sure that they do it. That way, you get the crowd's respect.

And maybe try to think of a character ... its easier to be confident when you pretend to be someone else

Not a spinner!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
pm tomorrow with all my summer's knowledge from busking....... ubblove

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

240 posts

Posted:
Yeh, ask Fluffy.
Her advice got me through my first street shows this summer
hug

Not a spinner!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
fluffy, anychance you could post a copy of all that knowledge, as I know i'd like to read it and i'm sure it would help allot of other people to.

and froggy. Go on, go on, go on

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: yoni

fluffy, anychance you could post a copy of all that knowledge, as I know i'd like to read it and i'm sure it would help allot of other people to.

and froggy. Go on, go on, go on

ditto

would looooove to read it

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
my only advice, dont look like a robot and just do the poi. As Kontaktstab said, you really want to interact with the crowd. Humor them, give them something to laugh at and be shocked at the same time. Some moves can entertain a crowd (Anti spin flowers, and rumor has it that really quick 3 beat weaves does the trick.. umm) ubblol and also... Something very very important is the children. Theyre easier to entertain, and they beg their parents to submit some money in the hat wink dont worry about it though, i am sure you will do fantastic! just have a good time!

Best of luck to you ms. frogette

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

240 posts

Posted:
If you can work it into your routine, try to get someone from the audience up into your show (not easy in a poi routine I know). They are the audience's representative, and the audience experiences the show vicariously through that individual. So be nice to them and get the audience to give them a round of applause. The audience will feel more part of the show and be more willing to give money

***Special thanks to Bob's busking worskhop at the 2005 EJC for that piece of advice biggrin

Not a spinner!

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
What about one-handed butterfly, that's always a good one to show off, maybe one-handed anything if you want, but ALWAYS show the crowd the trick with two hands first.

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hello.

The pm I sent to GF was quite specific to what she was asking, and not a general busking/street guide by any means!

I can write some things that it helps to be aware of but it'll turn into an essay, so if you still want it then that'll be a task for tomorrow.

Now, I sleep biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
I did a quick workshop in street performance at a convention. It was a very general one and not spinning based but I learned a few tricks from it. This is what I've learned from that and from my own experiences as a musician/busker/performer and from watching other people.

The guy who gave the workshop (I don't know his name, sorry!) said that the key was to capture your audiences attention before you start actually doing anything. Apparently a good way to do this is to have a LIMO - Large Interesting Metallic Object, which could be a unicycle or a chair. The idea behind it is you spend a few minutes moving it around randomly as though you're setting it up or looking for a good place to start doing something, so people start looking.

Since you only have ten minutes, you need to capture everyones attention really quickly and as you'll be spinning, you probably won't have a LIMO. Another way to get an audience quickly is to ask for their help in setting up. Grab someone who looks like they won't mind and ask them to hold something for you. If you can get a family, that's even better because it means more people looking which will attract more people passing and the kids will probably get really interested, meaning that the parents will stay and watch. Or, put some music on.

Once you've got a few people, introduce yourself. A really simple format for street performing is to tell people exactly what you're going to do and then do it, so you're almost giving the performance in the style of a lesson to the audience. Get your audience involved from the start. An example introduction would be:

"Hi, my name is ______ and I'm here today to do a quick demostration of spinning. Does anyone here know what I'm on about? Have you seen any of this type of thing before? Yes, no? Right, believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there who enjoy swinging things around their head and not all of them are in mental institutions..." etc.

Start swinging whilst you're talking - if you got someone to hold your equipment, ask them to pass it to you. So you could start with basic circles whilst telling people you're going to show them something called poi.

I was told by one of my friends who does stand-up comedy that he plans his routines by ending with his funniest joke but starting off with his second funniest, then he spends the in-between working up to the finale. That's also a good way to plan a street performance; work backwards from what you want your finale to be.

Also, tell the audience what you're doing. Tell them when you're about to attempt something difficult. Get them to chant or applaud. Hold a move for a few beats. Vary the tempo of what you do, so do a mixture of slow spinning and fast spinning. Making moves really big is also impressive, so big circles and giant weaves and butterflies add interest.

If you can, get an audience member as a volunteer and do something around them. I've seen performers ask a volunteer to crouch in front of them and then they'll do a weave around themselves and the volunteer or a butterfly that bounces in front of the volunteer and behind the performers head.

Don't forget about the safety aspects as well. Make sure you have enough space to move, have helpers nearby to keep people from moving too close and make sure you look like you're enjoying yourself.

Hope this helps.

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Some excellent advice here - on a related topic does anyone know how you'd get permission to busk in a high street or something at night with fire - I saw it done in Mexico with 3 people, 1 staff, 1 poi and 1 devilstick, and if you are playing with fire. I was thinking that at some point in my gap year I'd go and do some busking, starting with tails and developing into fire show with staff and poi. But I'd need a location and information...the advice on this thread is excellent.

Or I could run a small stall somewhere, buy up some poi wholesale and then sell them at a profit stallwise, with me as the walking advert. Any recommendations on numbers you'd need for this?

As you can see, I'm still throwing ideas around...

And good luck to Frogette!! Have a great time hug

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
ive not done any street performing but lately ive been taking my poi to work and when its quiet ive been outside the shop praticing and ive pulled crowds, mainly because poi isnt that out there yet so not many people have seen it before.

if the other entertainers are singers, musicians then its something you see every saturday in nuneaton town center, poi in its self will pull the crowd

do a 5 minute peformance then ask for a volunteer to have a go, try teach them a basic and watch people be really interested in getting into poi themselves, oh interaction just answer questions people ask which will probably be, how you get into poi, wheres it originate from, is it hard, ect

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
Your council will probably insist you have third party liability insurance, which is MEGA expensive. It's much better to do fire on private land, or organised gatherings.

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
The fire is the attention grabber, stopping people instantly, once a crowd is formed it naturally grows bigger.

Interaction may be the key of entertainment but when I spin I focus so much on the poi I dont even notice the spectators. You can however involve children, a friend let a child grab his staff and that was big fun for everyone ...

You should try create some sort of drama, ideally according to music. Show them the flames, move the poi around a bit for them to see its real ... dont jump into twirls right away.

If you mess up a trick, do it again, you get the biggest applause when the third attempt hits.

When the crowd laughts, they laugh with you not at you, so laugh with them and poi on.

You must have all fire gear soaked and ready to use before you start, once you lit up no breaks are possible other than grabbing new gear, ideally already lit. Any no-flame situation breaks the attention. That means also you must have a torch, imagine how daft it'd look if you try making a lighter work in the wind while 200 poeple watch ... make your own torch from a piece of leftover kevlar and an old jam glass mug filled with lampoil.

Ideally you dont play the heads till the very end, but go and put them out in time (wet towel).

Make sure heads are shaken off very well or people will come complaining after being hit by the tiniest bit of fluid. Also leaving a mess harms spinners rep...

I think you must be 2 at least, one to safeguard the crowd from coming too close, assisting in putting flame off etc, also that way you can alter the plays.

I havent busked yet (was hired wink) but I was told its important the hat appears while you're still playing.

Indicate the end of the performance by the artists bowing, get your applause and then people disappear within seconds, hence too late for hat.

Overall its fun, most people see poi first time ever, they are impresse by flames and dance, so no need for elaborate tricks unless off course you want to play them. Your passion always shines through ...

My 2 cents.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
As I don't perform myself, I have no advice to give, but to say good luck, and to reccommend that you check out performers.net They have a full library full of articles about all the questions that have been asked - building a crowd, using volunteers, getting permits etc, and some forums which seem very friendly where you can ask advice from people who do street performance for a living. I hope it helps hug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well after all that worry etc the comp has been cancelled so its just performance to music they want now... but i want to thank you all for all your advice and i think this thread shold be kept open too so it will help others.

Hell i am still going to work some of what i was going to do anyway even if they have cut it down to 5 min, which really isn't all that long. But our juggling club should be getting a donation for doing it so its all worth while. hug

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Well....... its done.
yes I did it a bit change of plan at the very last minute as I had to come with a quick routine to music and had about 45 min with the actual song frown but I went on did my thing, impressed the Mayoress and the people who watched. I am going to be the local papers too.
Personally I felt it was a mess and far to repetitive on the moves I was doing, I did manage to get the crowd clapping in time with the music and did my best to keep them interested in what I was doing. I even managed to turn around so I could show them the behind the back stuff from front and back.

I did think it went quite well, and not bad seems as though I had been awake since 3 am on the Friday morning eek(a total of being awake for 30 hours and spinning with out too many cock-ups I find impressive)

Thank you all so much for you help and advice on this. hug

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Congratulations, see you are talented and perfectly capable smile

Whenever your worried about doing something else new, just think about how well this turned out, and I bet all your nerves just went when you started do strutt your booty

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yeah the buzz i got from it was wicked. there was band on after too and they were playing the most amaizing 1920's/30's style swingy blues type music. was very very veru good and would of been fantasic stripper music ubblol so as i was poi-ing along to it the crowds drew in again (even though it was after we had all finished and most had gone home) we were just messing around to the music and i did make people laugh by saying "and thats the start of a whole different kind of performance which really isn't suitable for the eyes of children" getting a crowd of people laughing is a great feeling biggrin and well you know my mind's always in the gutter just going with the flow.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
hug well done froggy, i knew you could do it clap and by the sounds of the technical hitches you had you done a wicked job wow

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
*bump*
So this is not for sure at all, but I've been put on call as a performer (nonfire) for Brady Streets Buskerfest. I had called like a week ago and hadn't heard anything. Now, I need a performance concept,& costume-esque idea. Now my slot is 2hrs but the performance doesn't need to fill it all. They didn't say if I'd have a corner or be a moving act. Since I'm a fill in I don't have a lot of details

I've busked once or twice before. I like getting the kids involved. This is a professional event. I didn't quite realize what I got myself into. Maybe.

Ack what did I do?

Help, PLEASE

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

3,556 posts

Posted:
And does anyone have a video that maybe shows some good skills, or small crowd friendly performances

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Fif wink try going to performers.net
It is a huge and bountiful resource and wonderful for this type of stuff.

Now, what *exactly* do you need help with?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

3,556 posts

Posted:
(thanks for moving me)

ummmm
I've poked around there today

Don't get mad, but everything. frown

It is the first time they've done something like this. I will not be doing fire because I do not have insurance, nor am I really comfortable with it around the multitude of inebriate folks that is probably

The situation is I will not know where I am performing or whether I will be having space for a circle, power, music etc. I am supposed to fill in case someone doesn't show up. They won't tell me till Friday whether I am in or out and what my set up is. My slot is two hours but I can repeat the act

I guess my problem is how to prepare with all the variables in play

I've done done this once or twice with so so success. Generated interest, but little $
If there are kids, I'm set. They always seem fascinated. I thought about making some extra cheap sock poi so that I could involve the audience.

Faith

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i take it you have read all the posts in the this thread and the others about first time performances etc? if not i and i know its a bit of a pain but go read. lol.

best of luck though. getting audiance involvment is key, are you using music? if so its always best to get one that makes the audiance clap in time with the beat.. as i have found out... and its best to build it up. you don't really need to worry about things being far too techy, kids can not tell the difference between the most of the moves unless they are kids of spinners,but do vary it lol. Do you have insurance at all? or are you coverd by the event's insurance. this will affect the types of things you do especialy with actual involvment. the licenses and insurance you need for such things are a pain but needed. needless to say i take it you are also police checked?

hug and sorry it took me a while to reply

3,556 posts

Posted:
This is through the Milwaukee Theater Co. They will cover me with insurance so long as there is no fire. I am contracting with them, so they take care of the event licensing and insurance. They are licensed. The police over there know who I am from when I used to live there. Since I've stayed out of trouble, and gained 20lbs and never really was trouble-just hung out with the wrong crowd-the police won't be a problem. I have no record. Just parking tickets that I've paid

As for music. I think so. But I have to find a CD player with potential for batteries, because I don't know if my spot will have power. Either that or I can post up on my block's bar and "steal" their music.

I don't know how many kids there will be at the event. Brady Street is not really a kid area. Lot's of alternative folk and people who have lived there all their lives. Crazy people-literally. There is a building that houses mentally ill folk. Professors and arty folk. And dogs. Lots of dogs. Emos, hippies, and homeless folk. And drunks

I've looked at the different threads. Performers.net is a great resource too. Trust me. I've read most of it a few times.

I think my main problem is I don't know the specific details and won't. I could be moving up and down the street working more one on one or I could have a little area. This area may have power or a stage. I don't even know if I will be performing.

Costumewise I thought rennaissance-y. I thought fairy but the wings might get in the way, but then again my btb stuff is limited so...but what i thought for now-jeans cause they are comfy, short mini petal skirt, corset or bodice, snood and flat cap. Wings, maybe? Make-up I thought maybe a little ethereal or I could have some facepainters do me up smile

Faith

3,556 posts

Posted:
*sigh* I am thinking that I will not be needed. I'm sort of relieved. I will go down there and learn tomorrow so that I can be prepared and do a great show next year

Faith

Page: