Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Super speed/Finger spins w/o thumb?

Login/Join to Participate

LokiiBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
I'm fairly new to staff spinning and am fine with 3/4 finger rolls (with the thumb) however despite much practise I can't get it spinning fast enough to look great with smaller staffs. I find it easier practising this with batons and want to really nail it. So would be really appreciated if anyone could fill me in on a coupla questions...

- Does anyone know what type of spin a majorette/baton twirler generally uses to get the fastest spin?
- And do spins without thumb propulsion actually exist?

Aside from the Art of Staff DVD and Off Jazz (Hat and cane) videos, are there any other really good links or dvds that show spins in VERY slow motion - I don't have the bonus of being able to slow the videos down on this computer... arggh!

Thanks! rolleyes

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I have never been taught anything with staff up until very recently when I started combing the internet for things, but I can spin a short staff extemely fast through my fingers, but only for around 2 rotations. In order to continue the fast spin, I then need to figure-8 the staff to the other side of my body (where I can repeat the fast spin again), to provide the "break" for my hand to recover its proper position. I use the short fire twirling stick on HoP, so its fairly batonesque.

Now, I filmed a video of this, holidng the camera with one hand and the staff in the other. While this doesn't provide the best view it is the best I can do at this time smile I'll upload it as soon as I can compress it slightly.

Not sure whether that is what you want...but thats all I know cool about speed spinning anyway wink

If other know lots of useful things I'd be very interested smile

Let me know when you've seen and decided whether to save the video, because it takes up almost all my account space. The link is here
EDITED_BY: TotalEclipse (1157227185)

LokiiBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Downloaded and saved smile

Excellent, that looks really effective! I'll study it properly and see if I can follow it tomorrow, thanks so much TE, very very kind of you to do hug

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Anytime ubbrollsmile

If its too fast or you need a different angle or something I am willing to give it another try and see if I can't make it any slower on the slow bits smile

I am now wondering whether I can get a fast one sided fingerspin going....*decends into rambling mutters and goes off to see what can be done*