Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I received my copy a couple of days ago and I've got to say it's pretty amazing- really high quality of spinning and production from the entries.

Thanks once again to Malcolm and HOP for providing this opportunity to the spinning community. I notice that the price of the DVD is less than £5!- that's a real bargain and I'd recommend that everyone reading this gets themselves a copy.

The case looks a lot better this year, nice simple lilac design showing the idea of the spinning community around the world.

One thing I would like to see on future COLs would be a menu to save cycling through all the entries to get to particular ones, I think that even the most basic DVD writing packages have the ability to create a basic menu.

That aside, I reckon that this is the best COL ever.

The entries fall into two categories- those based on demonstrations of skill and those which are exceptionally well produced (visual quality, editing etc); with several falling into both those categories.

It's interesting to see that there are also two distinct styles of spinning- slow/graceful and very fast indeed- and we seemed to have finally reached a point where the skill level of the fast spinners has reached that of the slow ones

Also a lot of very effective pair, group and syncronised spinning- a look at the excellent 'fire Groove' shows how effective three people doing basic moves in time with each other looks.

My first flick through left me feeling a little negative amount the perponderance of fire in the dark, it seeming that everyone was on fire, with me feeling that it didn't accurately represent the actual proportions of fire to non-fire of our community.

However, having gone through the DVD several times, I do have to admit that, much of the fire is skillful fire.

Nevertheless, some of the skillful, but non-fire, stuff, really does stand out as a result of being surrounded by the rest- hopefully everyone will notice this and be more inclined to send in more daylight videos next year.

IMO it was good that, this year, fire-breathing was not permitted; while it's down to personal choice as to whether anyone practices this health-damaging spectacle, I really do appreciate the fact that I don't have to watch it on COL.

====================

I'm not going to go through every entry, as there are 30 in total and I've only had the DVD a couple of days- I'm finding that pretty much all the entries have something special when watched more than once.

Circumstantial Evidence- Very polished double staff routine with costume and a couple of fire lamps which seem to improve the lighting a lot.

Elias on Fire - despite the name, Elias was one of the few people not on fire, for which he has my gratitude as it enables us to admire his exceptional level of ability with double staffs, including some very neat contact moves.

Planet Zips - Fire, but skillful fire, with the female of the group having a very nifty dancey style.

The Story of the Lake - starts with graceful lakeside flags and goes onto an interesting combination of fire poi and fire-hands, then onto some scarily-long fire ropes; all skillfully done.

One Wheel Dave - that's me; possibly my last appearance on COL as my mates just bust his camera frown (Cheers to Tempest for once again doing the filming for this entry)

As always it's difficult to comment on my own stuff- any feedback from others will be appreciated.

The Amazing Rubber Heart Duo - very effective use of Singaporean-news-woman-voice-over talking about their world tour, cut with clips and images of it at the start. Based on one of their street shows, given a interesting look at how spinning can be performedin a live audience context- some truly excellent multi-staff passing. I also loved the background music.

Robert Bruce - another master of the 'slow spinning' style. Difficult moves and combinations made to look easy and relaxed.

Faisca - I'm not normally a fan of fast spinning, but this is good stuff, reminiscient of glowstringing.

Instruments of the Now - interesting because of the group members voice-overs detailing their various philosophies of spinning, much of which seems based on similar principles to the spiritual principals of martial arts: this kind of stuff is easy to pontificate about, but here it's well backed-up by the high levels of skill showing that they clearly have put in thousands of hours of practice in their chosen arts. Nice to see a bit of fire-devil-stick in there.

Fire Groove - Professional is the word that comes to mind- seems to have been shot on various film sets with a variety of effective costumes. Mainly syncronised spinning with beautiful music. If ever a film producer required some atmospheric spinning, this group would surely be the high on the list of possibilities.

Fire Sisters - UV surreality of the highest order (with matching music) smile it's always good to have something so totally different on the DVD- I especially liked the staff fight.

Infinitos - well thought out and rehearsed duo routine.

Dee D'Caro - very tight poi- the first time I saw this I wasn't really paying attention and so missed the fact that there's some meteors in here, done every bit as smoothly

as the poi.

Pheonix - excellent temple-like location with good use of fire-lamps to boost the light levels; well thought out paired routine and an unusual one-footed staff spin.

Arsn - As always, superb slow graceful sock-spinning, this year with some nifty throws; the final scene of handing over the tools of the art to the next generation was a nice touch smile

~SYNGE~ This is the last one on the DVD and I liked it a lot; with very effective use of good stills cut into the action; I also thought the music was great- unusually for COL it was some kind of Melodic Death Metal

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ma'tina

.....i just watched the col dvd .....and after i had seen all the entries I actually was wondering wheather the competition is about the best costume, background or video edit......

Thats something I would like to know too to be honest,
so just a general question... were the entries judged on spinning ability or the video background/editing? confused

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
thx valura,

thats what i was wondering as well, as you can see in my earlier post....is it more about spinning or the video itself...?

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
In my ever-so-humble opinion, CoL is a video competition.
It's not a poi/staff competition, it's a competition about who can make the best overall video

In my mind, the top 3 was spot on - they were the 3 most watchable videos - none were overly dancey, none were overly arty, none were overly technical - they all had a very good blend of the above 3.

On a side note, I think it's bordering on very rude to criticise the top 3 in this manner - it implies (not very subtly) that you thought 1 or more of the top three don't deserve to be there. Which is fine if that's your opinion but surely is fairly harsh on those in the top 3 who deserve to feel rightly proud about their acheivements.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
COL Rules:
"#17 Judges decisions are final and no correspondence shall be entered unto."
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/video_compilation.php

Having read the same debate 5 times already, for COL 1-5 i recommend you don't go there.
Take that as a "no comment".

I rationalise it as the winner is "whichever video Malcolm and co like the best".
Sometimes I agree with their result, sometimes i don't. Always it doesn't matter, as I am not one of the Judges.
But always for me, there are a handful of clips which stand out from the rest, and usually the winner and runners up are selected from that bunch.
COL gets better ever year.
Bring on COL 2007 biggrin

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

On a side note, I think it's bordering on very rude to criticise the top 3 in this manner - it implies (not very subtly) that you thought 1 or more of the top three don't deserve to be there. Which is fine if that's your opinion but surely is fairly harsh on those in the top 3 who deserve to feel rightly proud about their acheivements.

Um durbs, how are the top three being criticised? I dont understand. I just wanted to know if the spinning or the video presentation was quite important, so arsn and I can make some changes for next years video.

Since you have suggested that its a combo of the two we will now make a change to have more importance on the video aspect of things as well and not just concentrate on the techy spinny side of things.

confused confused confused
I had no intention of being rude to the winners of this years competition, I was just asking a general question. To be honest Im a bit hurt at that assumption.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
hug Wasn't really aimed at you smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ohhhhhhhhh I see.

*sneakily backs out of the room*

smile hug

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

IOn a side note, I think it's bordering on very rude to criticise the top 3 in this manner - it implies (not very subtly) that you thought 1 or more of the top three don't deserve to be there. Which is fine if that's your opinion but surely is fairly harsh on those in the top 3 who deserve to feel rightly proud about their acheivements.

i didnt critcise anyone....i was just asking like valura......to find out what this is all about.....

dont know why you have to get rude towards us......but i just dont know what is rude about asking what the important things about this competition are.........i dont even know all of the people who took part so why should i be rude to them???

- Ho Sa -

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
oh oh ooooohhh grouphug
no one being rude, just miscommunication, yes?

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*slaps self on arse*

My bad redface Mis-reading things which aren't there...

Sorry hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
...although in someways my point still remains.

Example - I entered a poi competition a couple of years back (Don't ever do this btw, they suck...).
Anyhoo, I ended up winning one of the "sections" which I was quite proud of. However, then one of the other competitors friends' went straight up to the judges and was asking them why they'd chosen me over their friend and how they could justify this (same points being raised - was it technical ability, or presentation etc.) - right in front of me.
This instantly turned my, i felt, vaguely deserved pride into feeling both guilty (because it wasn't really that big a deal and I wasn't that bothered about winning - nor did I think anyone else was) and actually quite offended that this person really didn't think I deserved to win and was demanding of the judges how I could possibly have done so.

So in my mind - when some winners are announced, and the first comments people post aren't "Well done winner-people - they were excellent videos" rather "Hey judges, what is the competition about? I thought it was meant to be the best blah blah blah" it still has a hint of "This entry/entries didn't deserve to be in the top 3".

But anyhoo...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
hug for Durbs. Against this background your reaction makes perfect sense. I ain't gonna start a discussion about the pitfalls of electronic communication, hermeneutics and subjective realities now (it takes too much wine/beer to get through those discussions) ... nor do I claim that those concepts only apply to you ...
but as I don't have anything content-related to say, I'll leave the floor to those that really wanna discuss COL 2006
*sneaks out*

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Durbs... hug

Doesn't really make sense now that the original post has been changed, but thats for the best....

See you next week smile

Getting to the other side smile

SYNGEGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
Ok.....so I'm curious........HOW are they judged?

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I got my copy over the weekend and I've watched it through about 6 times already (I find watching spinning almost as hypnotic as doing it). I thought everyone was just fantastic! I have favorites like everyone else, but it was so lovely to watch all those clips of people with very different stlyes of spinning, props, costumes, locations... all the variety makes it such a good dvd and my non-spinning friends watched it all the way through too.

It's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts, this is what makes the end product of such great quality - it is inspirational.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
The compilation gets a bit better after watching it a few times. I guess there's something good for everyone. In making a presentation of the whole community it is a success. Then again the level could've been set a bit higher. But we can't know what videos were sent and which were left out so I don't know..

I'm looking for good performances, routines or just something personal and exceptional. And with that criteria the compilation was a disappointment to me.

My favourites were Ninaruna. But this is pretty much based on seeing them perform live and knowing that they have something really beautiful and personal and also technical. Unfortunately the video didn't reach their true level.

I liked the Pyroptics routine a lot. Not really my style but sort of technical and really smooth and surely works as a professional performance in raves etc.. It looked like he could've used more space to move a bit.

Dance of the three.. My favourite video video. I'm not sure how I would've liked it if I didn't know Dan. But I like that someone goes past the clichés of firespinning and has enough personality to go through with it.

Fire Groove. Sure you are beautiful and I'm sure you make a good living with what you do. And I can appreciate you being "professional" in what you do. But I can't understand why you settle for it. I hope you would set higher goals for yourselves. What you do now just leaves me cold and frustrated. I don't see any real dancing in your firedancing and doing something simple in sorta syncro doesn't qualify for a coreography.

I guess those were the ones that really stood out. I liked some of the poi vids being more about feeling than technique. I liked Synges photographs also.

I know not much good will come out of this but let me b...h a bit more.. more or less seriously. I will never forgive Arsn for the sock poi kick up. It's sad that Josh from Phoenix Fire Project had the best contactstaffage on the dvd and all of that was crap compared to his level now. Nothing personal but I think I will never understand One Wheel Daves style. And I hope I will never see the Clayton Allred "style" of spinning staff anymore in this life. And the song for Instruments of the Now makes me want to kill someone.

There.. I said it.. Pheewww..

Anyway..

Yeah..

Point your toes.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Originally posted by The Antti
I know nothing good will come out of this but let me b...h a bit more.. more or less seriously. I will never forgive Arsn for the sock poi kick up.

rolleyes, Seems like a bit of a wasted b#tch if you ask me... watch that part again, it was a stuff up that I just continued on with... but ofcourse you'd never know that prior to me saying so... rolleyes

I just want to say, that I respect your opinion, but would like to also say that I'm abit disappointed in the way that your choosing to void the rest of the set just by one move that, you, don't like at the begining... watch the rest, then tell me your thoughts... smile

What's wrong with poi kick ups anyway... did I miss the memo that they were out of fashion... I must have forgotten to leave a forwarding address... tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ok, im gonna have to go and watch it again.... i didnt even notice a kick up....... excellent set though, and i love the poi swap (where you dont actually let go).

Antti - youve managed to put into words, my opinion on 'proffessional videos'. the last col had more of the same. Great costumes, great locations, great coreography(sp?), but absolutely no spark. i think sometimes improv, or more personal choreographed sets are better to express yourself completely.......

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

addict
446 posts

Posted:
My god.. have they been in fashion? wink I don't think I can give any useful real feedback on your vid. You're a good spinner for sure. I just don't get anything from a sockpoi parkspin video. And I guess I am too anti-sock. And you don't have to respect my opinions. You do your thing. I'm just btchng.

Point your toes.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Damn.. Now you made think about what I post here.. And I have to take back my comment about OWD. Or atleast explain myself if I talk trash..

I like the vid. The mood and music is good and the birds and all. Locations are minimalistic but nice. I like the camera work except for the shot from behind the bush. A nice presentation of different equipment. You have a personal style of moving about but I personally don't really like it. That's what my comment was about.

And oh yeah.. Clare sucks wink

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Whimper...

I feel my fragile ego shattering and breaking...

ubbcrying

'The' Antti... if you don't like my 3-minute video, I just don't think I'll ever be able to dance again....

Muppet.

tongue
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1162905077)

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Join the club. I've never been able to dance.

You know I love it.

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Is that why you just stand there chucking a staff about?
Meh... what am I going to do?!

tee hee hee...

You can dance... you just need hip-wiggling practice smile
Rarr... you'd be even more hot...

Thanks... glad you liked x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Clare you are such a groupie.

Antti, Its about time i kicked your ass...

Love is the law.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
thx my loverly......anttis can only feel antisympathy for (sock)poi ?!?.....we should have known earlier......why else did he get the name antti?????!!!.......but you cant get even more hot....and you dont need to......you burn down all the hearts of women already! wink
you know that i love you and your girl also.....so enjoy life again...... hug

take care,
tina

- Ho Sa -

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
wave ado

how are you honey....???????

hug will see maiuki and others in the next days....they all come to my place.......before heading to asia....and elsewhere......feel hugged hug

take care,

tina

- Ho Sa -

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ooohh... come here and say it to my face.. And bring my shirt while you're at it.

Point your toes.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
are you talking to ado or me.....anyway i will say it again...even though i think you are talking to ado......

YOU ARE HOT honey........!

have a nice day,
tina

- Ho Sa -

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
That does it... in the school yard after break...

Love is the law.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Hahahhahahahahahahah..... It was meant for Ado-P but works for both I guess...

Damn.. Get back on topic! Let's make another thread for "Antti found a meaning to his miserable life in internet fame and cybergroupies"

Point your toes.

Page: