Page: ...
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I received my copy a couple of days ago and I've got to say it's pretty amazing- really high quality of spinning and production from the entries.

Thanks once again to Malcolm and HOP for providing this opportunity to the spinning community. I notice that the price of the DVD is less than £5!- that's a real bargain and I'd recommend that everyone reading this gets themselves a copy.

The case looks a lot better this year, nice simple lilac design showing the idea of the spinning community around the world.

One thing I would like to see on future COLs would be a menu to save cycling through all the entries to get to particular ones, I think that even the most basic DVD writing packages have the ability to create a basic menu.

That aside, I reckon that this is the best COL ever.

The entries fall into two categories- those based on demonstrations of skill and those which are exceptionally well produced (visual quality, editing etc); with several falling into both those categories.

It's interesting to see that there are also two distinct styles of spinning- slow/graceful and very fast indeed- and we seemed to have finally reached a point where the skill level of the fast spinners has reached that of the slow ones

Also a lot of very effective pair, group and syncronised spinning- a look at the excellent 'fire Groove' shows how effective three people doing basic moves in time with each other looks.

My first flick through left me feeling a little negative amount the perponderance of fire in the dark, it seeming that everyone was on fire, with me feeling that it didn't accurately represent the actual proportions of fire to non-fire of our community.

However, having gone through the DVD several times, I do have to admit that, much of the fire is skillful fire.

Nevertheless, some of the skillful, but non-fire, stuff, really does stand out as a result of being surrounded by the rest- hopefully everyone will notice this and be more inclined to send in more daylight videos next year.

IMO it was good that, this year, fire-breathing was not permitted; while it's down to personal choice as to whether anyone practices this health-damaging spectacle, I really do appreciate the fact that I don't have to watch it on COL.

====================

I'm not going to go through every entry, as there are 30 in total and I've only had the DVD a couple of days- I'm finding that pretty much all the entries have something special when watched more than once.

Circumstantial Evidence- Very polished double staff routine with costume and a couple of fire lamps which seem to improve the lighting a lot.

Elias on Fire - despite the name, Elias was one of the few people not on fire, for which he has my gratitude as it enables us to admire his exceptional level of ability with double staffs, including some very neat contact moves.

Planet Zips - Fire, but skillful fire, with the female of the group having a very nifty dancey style.

The Story of the Lake - starts with graceful lakeside flags and goes onto an interesting combination of fire poi and fire-hands, then onto some scarily-long fire ropes; all skillfully done.

One Wheel Dave - that's me; possibly my last appearance on COL as my mates just bust his camera frown (Cheers to Tempest for once again doing the filming for this entry)

As always it's difficult to comment on my own stuff- any feedback from others will be appreciated.

The Amazing Rubber Heart Duo - very effective use of Singaporean-news-woman-voice-over talking about their world tour, cut with clips and images of it at the start. Based on one of their street shows, given a interesting look at how spinning can be performedin a live audience context- some truly excellent multi-staff passing. I also loved the background music.

Robert Bruce - another master of the 'slow spinning' style. Difficult moves and combinations made to look easy and relaxed.

Faisca - I'm not normally a fan of fast spinning, but this is good stuff, reminiscient of glowstringing.

Instruments of the Now - interesting because of the group members voice-overs detailing their various philosophies of spinning, much of which seems based on similar principles to the spiritual principals of martial arts: this kind of stuff is easy to pontificate about, but here it's well backed-up by the high levels of skill showing that they clearly have put in thousands of hours of practice in their chosen arts. Nice to see a bit of fire-devil-stick in there.

Fire Groove - Professional is the word that comes to mind- seems to have been shot on various film sets with a variety of effective costumes. Mainly syncronised spinning with beautiful music. If ever a film producer required some atmospheric spinning, this group would surely be the high on the list of possibilities.

Fire Sisters - UV surreality of the highest order (with matching music) smile it's always good to have something so totally different on the DVD- I especially liked the staff fight.

Infinitos - well thought out and rehearsed duo routine.

Dee D'Caro - very tight poi- the first time I saw this I wasn't really paying attention and so missed the fact that there's some meteors in here, done every bit as smoothly

as the poi.

Pheonix - excellent temple-like location with good use of fire-lamps to boost the light levels; well thought out paired routine and an unusual one-footed staff spin.

Arsn - As always, superb slow graceful sock-spinning, this year with some nifty throws; the final scene of handing over the tools of the art to the next generation was a nice touch smile

~SYNGE~ This is the last one on the DVD and I liked it a lot; with very effective use of good stills cut into the action; I also thought the music was great- unusually for COL it was some kind of Melodic Death Metal

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Cwazy_Wabbitnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
As a newbie, I haven't seen the previouc COL's so its very difficult to compare, however, the quality on this DVD is very high.

Agree with Dave's comments wholeheartedly, just going to add my two pennethworth.

Ninaruna - Nice setting, what little you do see is very effective, the reflections off the wet sand, the background noise of the sea. The different camera angles and cutting are good too.

Circumstantial Evidence - totally agree with Dave's comments on this, good routine, great costume, nice lighting, good music.

Elias on Fire - Liked the use of a second camera on this one, agree with Dave about the rest.

Planet Zips - I particularly like the framing in this one, not shy just to focus on getting the whole performance in frame, nice changes in aspect from 4:3 to 16:9. Multi frames at the end are a nice idea as well.

Dragon's Dream - Nice use of slow mo- good choice in music. Good camera framing again.

Blend - Interesting concept with the changes in display with the panning camera, nice fire hoop work.

Chicago Streets - I liked the choice of location at the beginning.

Fire Groove - Jaw droppingly good production values on this....I don't want to tkno how much they spent on that ot how much equipment I would need to produce at that level. oh go on then.

Fire Sisters - when I saw this on the trailer I couldnt wait to see the full version of this, I wasn't disappointed.

Fire Storm - Some nice display pieces using equipment and moves not seen on other titles.

Shakuru - Nice outfits & blade work.

Masara In Daiba - Nice gig video, would have been interesting to hear the crowd reaction in the background, but I can see the potential problems in that if you are cutting a gig performance to fit, or there are difficulties in getting the gig music cleared.

Rope Dart - Good to see a discipline not used elsewhere in the video, very skillful,& not a lot of cuts so its a fairly linear performance.

Phoenix - Excellent routine, location, lighting & framing.

SYNGE -Loved the cutting with the long exposure photographs, appreciated the differing backgrounds, great cutting to the music as well.

As for onewheeldave, nice location & performance. Shame to hear about your camera, what equipment was your mate using?

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Once again I had a great time watching the new Col. Thanks to hop and Malcolm for providing the community with such an inspiration tool. If the objective was to “provide an overview of what is out there”, the objective is over-achieved.
We see anything on fire that can be lit, from Poi, Staff, Meteor, Fans, Torches, Hoola Hoop, Rope Dart, Swords to an umbrella (guess which country). We also get a glimpse into a future as some folks crossover moves (staff-meteor-poi) or insert acro/breakdance and of course much thought has gone into choreo, sync, wardrobe and drama.
(At the reduced price) this should be a must have for any spinner.

I guess the jury will face a especially hard choice, given this years “winner takes most” award. I would see a toss between “story of the lake” and “phoenix”.

While each entry is certainly deserving appraisal and comment, I will limit myself here to my personal top dozen keep this post readable. In order of appearance:

Pyroptix: Simply fantastic double staff spin solo, well lit and well set, lovely to watch.

Planet Zips: How nice to see the Philippines having come in, a great country you should all go see for the beauty of its shores and the hospitality of its folks and now apparently also for its spinning community. While they seem to prefer the glowsticky ultrafast style, it is still nice to watch, well played and especially the girls graceful style is a highlight.

Story of the lake: Lovely opening shot with flags and lake mirror effect, elegic, enticing dance with hand torches, lovely poi and snakes flow, this girl can move I could watch this on end.

One-Wheel-Dave: The man so skilfull he should rename One-Hand-Dave. I have been a big fan since his first appearance on Col 5. Great crossover staff-poi figure 8, creative filming of juggling moves, able to find jungle in Blighty, great to hear his guitar play has advanced too. Sad to hear his “resignation” from Col, even sadder the reason, hey allowing space for fresh talents fine but broken friends camera, hope he gets a new one soon.

Rubber heart: Oh yeah I like the announcement voiceover too, and the jaw-dropping incredible double staff throws and syncs are again to be marbled at… this is so fasinating I guess next stop of their World Tour could be Monte Carlo for the Circus Prize. “You make it look so effortless” is a wild understatement …

Fire Groove: Dreamland, fantasy, this is Poi gone MTV. This is what happens when the guy behind the camera knows what he’s doing, when someone is directing the shots, when lighting, setting, choreo is done by pros. This sets a new standard in Col. This proves again how an eye candy overdose of kinky clad girls playing windmill and butterfly in a waterfall easily beats any überspinner in his backyard. Seducing, enticing, centrefold stuff, I could watch this on end too and probably will. I want to see your show. Yet I struggle to give you my vote, as I see 7 second cuts all along. That makes it hard to judge how a single burn of yours looks like, how graceful the flow would be and this is what I am finally after in an inspiration video like Col. Don’t get me wrong, I see you can play, you can dance, you are creative in every aspect of show business. But this appears a teaser for some real thing yet undefined…

Generally I see a big problem that the 3 minute limit is producing such clips. Hey, gimme 5 tries and I can do the perfect hyperloop, but in the flow of a burn ... While I understand the 30 entries target to allow variety and fresh talents, the 90 minutes seem an artificial obstacle in DVD age. Please consider how much better 3.30 min could make it next time. 105 minutes reel time should be no problem and as entries arrive edited, it shouldn’t be more work either …

Fire sisters: Another duo I have a crush on since Col 5. Again highly creative, thought trough and well played, entering new territory with blacklight, nice choreo, nice music, beautiful flags, funny inserts like the staff fight-kill-rebirth-love theme, wow.

Infinitos: Simply great, thought through duo play, outstanding skill level, you see the passion and the ideas.

Dee D’Caro: Solo poi as good as it gets, bit too fast style for my taste but respect, loved the meteor doing rotors, great setting too.

Phoenix: Simply great. Wow. This should have all elements of a winner: Different toys all very well played, acro, duo sync, choreo, nice setting, nice lighting, some drama. Will definitly go see you guys live …

Arsn: I just love to see you spin mate, this Tai-Chi style defines grace, the perfect flow with a few tricks spicing it up, this is the kind of Video I watch in slomo dozens of times to learn, I really hope to see you spin in person one day …

Clayton Allred: Barefoot hippy spinning at its best, unadulterated single burn no cuts, this is da man doing his thing and full stop. Looking at this brings me back to the beaches of Asia where I got hooked on Poi and staff, I can feel your vibes, I stand beside you watching with awe, spin on brother …

Well for anyone who bothered to read on till here, I hope you allow me my remarks even though I am not on the Vid myself and actually do not play on this level (yet). But this Col is another motivation booster that makes me go polish my planes – and strive throwing in my hat next time. Let’s see … Thanks to you all for inspiration and for giving me a great time.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I filmed a couple of times with a fire rope dart I have, however I wasn't happy that one could appreciate the rope manipulation when you couldn't see it well. Maybe I just filmed when it was a little dark. Would have like to have been quicker, but the dart i've got is reasonably heavy and difficult to spin fast. I've not fully seen the whole DVD so further comments are not in order. I do appreciate those entries with relatively few cuts. It shows some fluency, and a ability to achieve long spinning sequences without mistakes.

Not particularly happy that my name was included as rope dart instead of my HOP acronym. Did try to rectify it, but Malcom was unable to remaster the edit.
EDITED_BY: ataxia (1157531074)

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
bounce

just bought my copy... couldn't believe how cheap it was to buy! clap

Thanks Malcolm - I look forward to receiving it very soon

hug hug hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I got mine

Tis nice, clips are a bit short. Theres not enough staffs of course wink but I like it all the same.

Congrats to Anti and Tommi and Dan and Clare

Dan, yours is so bizzare I love it. Very you...

Pyroptix, nice one mate, very slick...

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Can't believe it's out sooo soon! Must have been a crazy fast editing job... well done malcolm! (and to the entrants who I guess must have made it easy.)

I ordered mine yesterday... can't wait! WooOooOWOOOOOO!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, I am extremely pleased at the variety on the compilation.
The skillz, toys, techniques give the best yet indication on where the twirlage arts are today - in that regard it is the best COL yet.

I respect that the clips were shorter. 3 mins at the speed that a lot of twirlers perform at is plenty to show your best, your repertoire's spectrum. longer entries really would have made watching the compilation an unwieldy experience.

What a gorgeous feelin to see all these people so enthusiastic about dancing, costumes, choreography and photography.

my personal favourites solo effort was the story of the lake - you shift your weight so gracefully. I admire you for that and want you to know that almost all of my practice time is spent toward polishing that style. I am excited that this may mark an lean towards post-technical, dance-oriented yumminess in future COLS.

THAAAAANKS MALCOLM!!!!
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
From the clip that I've seen on here it looks good, I'd better get practising for next if I want any hope of being in it

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

astrostringnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to thank zeroG for putting me in his top 12. and for the great feed back. My name is Clayton Allred AKA (The Barefooted hippy) I am honored to have made it on to the video and I was wondering if any one might hqve any idea's or leads for me . My intention is to make a living at spinning fire and playing music. I am new to this web site and I am not very computer literate. if anyone has any leads for me I would greatly appreciate it. and Thank you for the feed back it is greatly appreciated. You can contact me at astrostring@yahoo.com
much love and many thanks
clayton

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
Thank you so much Malcolm for putting this awesome dvd together. I managed to watch it all for the first time after the DVD got stuck in my laptop (long story) and I am very impressed.

Congrats to all that made it onto the vid, I know how much effort it is to get a vid together! I reckon my top three would have to be :

Pyroptix- awesome effortless spinning, did everyone notice the sneaky one end lit to both end lit at the beggining of the vid??

RHD-less soy but more cheese this time, it was nice to see some of their routine as well rather than just tricks.

Fire Groove-professional set up, awesome costumes and the most beautiful setting on the whole vid.

There are only 2 very minor issues i have with the dvd and one of them is personal. I reckon that a DVD menu would improve the dvd massively and make it easy to get to your favourite vids again and again.

My only other gripe would be that because I'm first on the vid I get skipped a lot ,no chapter marking between the legal text/title and my vid, even i skipped this and went straight to Pyroptix Dan!

Apart from that it's an amazing vid and at the price a complete bargain.

Ninjas NEVER give up!

capitancatGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
thank you so much everyone for your kind and inspiring words! we are so honored to be part of this video and part of the home of poi community! biggrin

the team is literally jumping through hoops due to this honor! there were so many amazing videos this year, there is so much to learn from it will take more than the whole year to go through them all! biggrin

spread the love!

captain C
planet zips biggrin

free.flow.go

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well I have some things to say about this DVD. A couple nice, a couple not, thou it's no fault of malcolms for the not nice ones.

(I could mention the bad techno music... but it wouldn't be a COL without bad techno music...)

ninaruna: Awesome routine, spoiled only by lack of being able to see some of it. But looks smooth and complicated... especially liked the big wave coming in bit.

Fire groove! Lester and his hot sisters making that music video in waynes world a firey reality! Woo! More snakes next time please!

Shakuru: bender! ubbrollsmile whens the xena warrior princess fire dancing aerobics video coming out then? wink

Elias (not) on fire: Who knew one of the 'T' birds from grease also did double staff?

firepoise: poise indeed. (good music too) ubblove

[edited by Malcolm as per site rules]

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
dam - i bet MCP had something interesting to say!

by interesting obviously i mean abusive wink

looking 4wd to watching it.......

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
If only we had a video of meg ranting at the dvd, its alway nice to have a running commentary. smile

Love is the law.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
just watched the whole dvd today. i really like alot of it, has gotten me out practicing more too smile

am too lazy to coment individually though, but on the whole, i loved it bounce

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well fair enough about clayton alldred. But I don't think the bit about plagarism should be deleted. I can't believe they had the nerve to copy flameoz's routine and then enter it in COL! well nerve or dim wit. I think they deserve to be shown up in public. Nobody should be allowed to copy somebody elses routine in such detail, it's just plain not right in my book.

Malcolm, If you had messaged me I would have made it 'nicer'.

ado-p: me ranting at the dvd? It would be a very short commentary, mostly me saying: "argh - poi! next chapter, next chapter!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I was intimating about your messge yesterday (i saw the original ubblol nice), I figured you were shouting at them on screen aswell as hop. I had another looki last night. It really does have Flameoz written all over it. Is there another explanation, maybe they were taught that routine by flameoz?

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ado- thanks! Not shouting at the screen, I'm at work! shouted a a little bit the night before, cried with laughter at some points as ever, got bored most of the rest of the time, if I wasn't cringing.

Even if they did, I still don't think they should have entered it on COL. It's still somebody elses routine. What's the point of 'winning' a competition with somebody else's work?

And where did richee's comment go? I loved it. The fire sisters reminded me of the black and white midget minstrels, and I've never even seen that show! Good job!
EDITED_BY: mcp (1158757513)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

well fair enough about clayton alldred. But I don't think the bit about plagarism should be deleted.

I also saw the original post- I don't think it was deleted because plagarism was mentioned.

An interesting discussion could be had on what, if anything, constitutes plagerism in spinning.

I think your post was deleted purely because of the offensive and insulting language directed towards the two individuals in question.

If you'd brought up the issue of plagerism in a more sensitive and constructive way, without insulting language, I think your post would still be here.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree with onewheeldave on this one, I choose to delete my comment last night as it just didn't make sense after the "Upset" part was deleted... However, in saying that your comment, MCP, would still be there if it was put in a more, less threatning way (For the record, NO threat was made to any person or persons).

MCP, about plagerism, now I can understand where your coming from and I respect that fact that your jumping into defence mode to protect friends, but ado-p could be on to something, maybe flameoz did teach them the routine on their travels... it's possible, I for one have spun quite abit with Dave and Dom when they were over here in Australia and I remember sharing moves with them. And what about the fact that a move that Bluecat taught me or even wibbles the The wibbler showed me are on the DVD, does that mean that I've plagiarised moves or does it mean that as a community we have banded together to learn from each other. Sure, alot of the moves are the same as Flameoz, but the people in question were possibly taught by them or learnt the moves by themselves, seeing as their not from one of the four major areas this site provides for (that being UK, USA, NZ, and Australia (As people count for this website, not cultural spinning count)).

Maybe we should see with Dave or even Dom, to see if they remember these people, or have these people comment on their routine themselves. smile

Just to clear the air...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
troy do you mean dave and dimitri?

i will be interested to see what the dvd is like when it arrives, as far a plagurism of spinning goes i would say that it is very much like with music there are certain notes which no one owns much like "tricks" with spinning, once they are composed into a work of art a copyright to that work falls with the creator. so what does copyright mean (guess whos been learning about intellectual property issues the last week) it means the right to copy that work of art. So if the routine is a copy of the flameoz routine then the artists will be in violation of copyright if they have not obtained permission from flameoz to perform the routine.

an interesting asside, if you pay a graphic designer to do a website for you, if it is not explicitly stated in a contractual agreement the graphic designer retains the copyright to the work and in paying for their services you are paying for the right to use the work in its current configuration, not the right to modify or reproduce it without permission.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
IN reply: OWD is right as always. But I felt offended by the people so I used offensive language. [Doesn't make it right kiddies!]

arsn: Yeah you get taught moves by someone, but these guys used the moves the footwork, the hand positions the timing, everything was the same. And it wasn't just a move, it was a sequence of them also, including the speed changes and everything.

When you copy somebody generally it's expected you make some changes to the original just to fit it in with your own style, like you did with wibbles. If you change nothing, surely your just copying, and these guys copyed whole chucks.

Plus it still stand that why enter a competition with somebody elses work?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
perhaps this is a side topic? smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i still want to touch myself when i watch the vid...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
eek I'd keep an eye on bender if I were you Valura.... wink

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
not if he is going to be touching himself! ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Escalation...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
yeah ben, type-o, I did mean Dimitri... redface

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Overall it was a nice video - Clare's, RHD's and Fire...er..groove's (maybe - lots of Fire XXXXX names...) stood out especially.

(Is that Bender in the video btw? With tiger hooks? Nice smile)

But for me, there was still too many badly lit, blurry footage of people spinning in their gardens (or beach) - which was specifically mentioned not to do in the Rules/Advice section of the competition page.

The difficulty I always have with COL's is to warrant spending money on a DVD, it should be better than the standard of free-downloads-from-the-internet videos that are scattered throughout this site and indeed the rest of the web.

Filming in the backgarden in jeans and no t-shirt (for example) personally doesn't cut the mustard - and what you end up with is a DVD with about 6 re-watchable clips and several which aren't. Fortunately at this price, this is fine wink

This has nothing to do with the quality of the spinning/dancing or anything else - it's simply a matter of production/editing.

Oh, and if you mess up and tangle/drop - It's ok, you can re-film/edit it...

And for the record, my entry was filmed from different camera angles, in costume, at an excellent location - only it's still on camera somewhere in Australia wink

Next year...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh yes, and menu/chapters would be lovely ubbangel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude