Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I received my copy a couple of days ago and I've got to say it's pretty amazing- really high quality of spinning and production from the entries.

Thanks once again to Malcolm and HOP for providing this opportunity to the spinning community. I notice that the price of the DVD is less than £5!- that's a real bargain and I'd recommend that everyone reading this gets themselves a copy.

The case looks a lot better this year, nice simple lilac design showing the idea of the spinning community around the world.

One thing I would like to see on future COLs would be a menu to save cycling through all the entries to get to particular ones, I think that even the most basic DVD writing packages have the ability to create a basic menu.

That aside, I reckon that this is the best COL ever.

The entries fall into two categories- those based on demonstrations of skill and those which are exceptionally well produced (visual quality, editing etc); with several falling into both those categories.

It's interesting to see that there are also two distinct styles of spinning- slow/graceful and very fast indeed- and we seemed to have finally reached a point where the skill level of the fast spinners has reached that of the slow ones

Also a lot of very effective pair, group and syncronised spinning- a look at the excellent 'fire Groove' shows how effective three people doing basic moves in time with each other looks.

My first flick through left me feeling a little negative amount the perponderance of fire in the dark, it seeming that everyone was on fire, with me feeling that it didn't accurately represent the actual proportions of fire to non-fire of our community.

However, having gone through the DVD several times, I do have to admit that, much of the fire is skillful fire.

Nevertheless, some of the skillful, but non-fire, stuff, really does stand out as a result of being surrounded by the rest- hopefully everyone will notice this and be more inclined to send in more daylight videos next year.

IMO it was good that, this year, fire-breathing was not permitted; while it's down to personal choice as to whether anyone practices this health-damaging spectacle, I really do appreciate the fact that I don't have to watch it on COL.

====================

I'm not going to go through every entry, as there are 30 in total and I've only had the DVD a couple of days- I'm finding that pretty much all the entries have something special when watched more than once.

Circumstantial Evidence- Very polished double staff routine with costume and a couple of fire lamps which seem to improve the lighting a lot.

Elias on Fire - despite the name, Elias was one of the few people not on fire, for which he has my gratitude as it enables us to admire his exceptional level of ability with double staffs, including some very neat contact moves.

Planet Zips - Fire, but skillful fire, with the female of the group having a very nifty dancey style.

The Story of the Lake - starts with graceful lakeside flags and goes onto an interesting combination of fire poi and fire-hands, then onto some scarily-long fire ropes; all skillfully done.

One Wheel Dave - that's me; possibly my last appearance on COL as my mates just bust his camera frown (Cheers to Tempest for once again doing the filming for this entry)

As always it's difficult to comment on my own stuff- any feedback from others will be appreciated.

The Amazing Rubber Heart Duo - very effective use of Singaporean-news-woman-voice-over talking about their world tour, cut with clips and images of it at the start. Based on one of their street shows, given a interesting look at how spinning can be performedin a live audience context- some truly excellent multi-staff passing. I also loved the background music.

Robert Bruce - another master of the 'slow spinning' style. Difficult moves and combinations made to look easy and relaxed.

Faisca - I'm not normally a fan of fast spinning, but this is good stuff, reminiscient of glowstringing.

Instruments of the Now - interesting because of the group members voice-overs detailing their various philosophies of spinning, much of which seems based on similar principles to the spiritual principals of martial arts: this kind of stuff is easy to pontificate about, but here it's well backed-up by the high levels of skill showing that they clearly have put in thousands of hours of practice in their chosen arts. Nice to see a bit of fire-devil-stick in there.

Fire Groove - Professional is the word that comes to mind- seems to have been shot on various film sets with a variety of effective costumes. Mainly syncronised spinning with beautiful music. If ever a film producer required some atmospheric spinning, this group would surely be the high on the list of possibilities.

Fire Sisters - UV surreality of the highest order (with matching music) smile it's always good to have something so totally different on the DVD- I especially liked the staff fight.

Infinitos - well thought out and rehearsed duo routine.

Dee D'Caro - very tight poi- the first time I saw this I wasn't really paying attention and so missed the fact that there's some meteors in here, done every bit as smoothly

as the poi.

Pheonix - excellent temple-like location with good use of fire-lamps to boost the light levels; well thought out paired routine and an unusual one-footed staff spin.

Arsn - As always, superb slow graceful sock-spinning, this year with some nifty throws; the final scene of handing over the tools of the art to the next generation was a nice touch smile

~SYNGE~ This is the last one on the DVD and I liked it a lot; with very effective use of good stills cut into the action; I also thought the music was great- unusually for COL it was some kind of Melodic Death Metal

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

As I mentioned before, if the routine is of high technical standard, then to copy them move for move, using the exact same body/hand positions, would require a lot of skill and effort- probably more so than simply making up a new routine.

I think many choreographers would be offended by that statement. It puts most of the value of a piece into the ability to learn and execute it.

monkeys ate my brain

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Wow, I totally missed something. Didn't this use to be a list of my top favorites?

I read the origional post from MCP, and personally I believe she had every right to her freedom of speech in it.

The sad fact of the matter is, there are no rules protecting from copied/stolen routines. Theres even examples of this in the cirque de demain and Monte Carlo competitions, and Ive personally seen a handstand artist perform a number he's trying to sell a number that he vagrantly stole move for move, same music same costume (outside of the one trick he couldn't do of course). And even if this is not criminally wrong, its sure as hell morally wrong, and I believe deep down the people who do such bogus things know this. So call them out! You people should be ashamed of yourselves! Show a little self respect and origionality!

And another note, isn't the concept behind boycotting a good entry because of the average standard being so low illogical?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
who said I was logical? You have met me... don't you know this already? wink

Loved your entry thou, shame it's close to the end. I keep forgetting about it cos of my mindstate by the time I've got to it. hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Please don't get me wrong Dave, hats off to anyone who's actually putting anything together from something like COL to the most basic webcam recording.

But you are asking for peoples feedback and so I gave you an honest opinion.

A bit of advice freely given?

You cannot really ask for peoples opinions then argue with them. You ask for feedback because you want to listen to what people think not tell them what to think.

Well you can but people will only think you are a being a w*nker smile

Written by: onewheeldave

Are there any other equivalent vids/dvds to COL?

I'd just watched the Sphereculism (sp?) DVD before COL and I'd say that both the production and the content was impressive and inspiring. If a bit trippy. ubbloco

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, I have put in my order for COL so I will see soon how close this routine is to Dave and Di's Spin Psycle / FlameOz double staff routine...

but I am presuming that it is more than vaguely similar.

As to how it could have happened...

Well first, has anyone approached them/written and asked? I am quite happy to once I've seen it and made up my own mind.

Secondly, it occurs to me that these entrants are from an Asian country, no?. I havne't seen it yet but I believe they are from Japan. It is usual, is it not, in many Asian cultures to directly copy a 'form' or training sequence from the 'master'. In every kind of learning and commerce, rote learning and copying is much much more common and accepted than Western countries. So possibly this group don't see it as badly as we do...

Is there anywhere on COL entry conditions that says a routine has to be original? OR is it one of those cultural assumptions we make that it would be shameful and wrong for it not to be?

(I would look but have to go to work now)

ps I have edited this to correct a mistake I made with the nationality
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1160011363)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SYNGEGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
Thank you Dave and everyone that enjoyed my video. My name is Matt...aka ~SYNGE~......given to me by the one who introduced me to poi.....Serene. I started spinning in Jan of this past year. At the end of Jan,, I attended a poi workshop in Vancouver taught by Nick Woolsey....he is a spinning GOD in my book wink

When the idea of putting together a video for COL was brought to my attention, I said,"there's no way......I'm not good enough". A day later, a night photographer named RichardBrian contacted me about doing free photo shoots......I couldn't pass up the offer. I noticed from watching the other COL vids that NOONE added stills into their video....AND......I honestly could NOT take the techno music. I then decided to contact my favorite band that I found on Myspace.....A Dark Halo. I showed them some vid of my earlier spinnings and asked them about the rights to "Burn It All". They gladly agreed to help me out on my quest to make a "different" and unique type of video.

Feeling that I could not hang with all the talent in the COL list.....I figured I'd make sort of a music video/collage to show that I could do various patterns and transitions.

My self titled video is the first video that I ever edited......and have grown to LOVE doing it. Now I just need better video equipment wink

Brian and I started shooting 3 months after I began spinning. Seriously.......I am honored to be among the ranks of those that made the cut.

I look back at my older footage and laugh. I HAVE progressed SO much since then.......and now....having Dee D'caro as a roommate......my spinning talent is exponentially increasing.

We both want to take our performing to the next level and entertain the world.

I'd like to thank all of you for the kind words. I also would like to thank A Dark Halo for being the koolest down to earth band that I know, RichardBrianimages, Nick Woolsey for helping me to "do the math", Yuta for being a great inspiration, and Serene for introducing me to my love....my passion....for poi.

You guys rock! Hope to do some more entertaining for the next COL.

spinning in Vegas......
~SYNGE~

P.S. What's wrong with "melodic death metal"??? hahahaha

Oh!!!! And does anyone know when the top vids will be announced?!?!?!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Malcolm

Some free online hosting services you lose sole ownership of your video once it is uploaded.. but you will need to read more about that. So be careful when putting stuff on the internet. It may be morally wrong to copy, but you may not have a leg to stand on if someone does. Plus if you agree to You-Tube policy then are you not saying "I am happy for you to copy/perform my works"?

i dont think thats correct, the agreement is for them to be able to copy and distribute your video not to be able to perform the routine, as the copyright agreement is to the user submission ie the video itself not replicating its content, i believe the qualifying statement "as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service" conveys this

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Great minds Malcolm wink

I was thinking about Matt's DVD today, the same time you were writing that post.

Only just saw it this weekend and as you say, there really is so much in it.

So I am about to go *bump* the relevant thread so LOTS of people invest in some original and wonderful work!

And back on topic of COL, I am more concerned that it seems to not have a menu / easy access to favorite bits. That really does make it less useful...

Malcolm, is it too late to fix that??

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Thats fair enough, its silly to compare matts dvd to malcolms, they are not the same thing.

Love is the law.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm beerchug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm smile

Getting to the other side smile

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:

PS: We are not made better by rubbishing others

what is, to your mind, the difference between rubbishing others and constructive criticism?

Because to my mind so far there has been a some constructive criticism i.e. "i'd didn't like it for x, y, and z reasons" and people pointing out that someone has broken the "rules" and therefore deserve a degree of criticism.

In my experience my most useful learning experiences have come from constructive criticism. Not the least of course was learning to take it wink

Of course don't forget the vast majority of your feedback has been positive smile

ubbangel

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I might consider contributing, but I'd also have to consider how undignified it would be to be on COL, with such a low standard.

well, some see the glass half full, some see it half empty and others grab the bottle, drink it empty and then tell ya their own stuff at home is miles better ...

Given that Col 4 winner was meenick with a special edit of what also became dervishly yers, Col 5 winner was Andy with still one of the most stunning spins of all time, 2nd Jools with an amazing dance that inspires many to this day and Rubber heart coming 3rd with their breathtaking duo, Col 2005 including fab spins from Heraclitus, arsn and oli amongst others and now Col 2006 with lots of diverse and fab stuff, such a broad sweep smells trifle arrogant if not say ignorant ...

Think the judges have noticed the plagiarism observation but 1 post may have sufficed to alert them - otherwise sue those shameless crooks in The Hague or call in the UN security counsel ...

Anyway, maybe can we get back to the original topic of what we liked about those spins and show respect for those people who put in the effort to submit something ...

Any word from the jury yet ?

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
So, I have finally had time to sit down and watch the whole thing. It's wonderful.

I thought the purpose of COL was to share the art. This video provides alot of inspiration.

I personally prefer to see whole or partial routines, so I can see the transitions. Closeups are lovely for a few seconds, but make it hard to see what is going on.

I think the promo video format is OK, if there are lots of neat toys and/or moves.

Here's what I liked. I put smiles by my top 12.

smile Ninaruna - great two person stuff in a nice setting. the waves looked a little challenging.

smile Pyroptix - fabulous, flawless doubles staff

smile Elias - you adorable sweetie. great double staff video shot at Lawrence Park (I used to work there as a gardener!) I like the above camera angle. One day I'm going to get that weavy move, thanks for so patiently trying to teach me!

Eastbourne Festival of Fire - fire umbrellas, fire tails, fire on stilts, yay!!

Planet Zips - it is wonderful to have the philippines in for the first time. welcome. lovely style.

Crazy Conflagrabion - nice hyperloops and isolations and a man with no shirt! yay! my main complaint about this video is that there are not enough men without shirts!

smileThe Story of the Lake - most beautiful setting in the first shot and great flags. Nice fluid dance style, neat hand torch - poi combo, lovely rope routine.

Dragon's Dream - great music and pretty close-ups

smile One Wheel Dave - nice trees, great meteor stuff. Also liked the one-handed stuff and the throws. Great angle on the juggling shot at the end.

smile Rubber Hear Duo - What a fun video! you guys are the best staff jugglers. Love the behind the back throws. - Antii - nice to see a little of your contact staff at the beginning. would love to see more and great to meet you in Finland!

Blend - 2 person hula hoop! fire sword,behind the back thread the needle, poi torches... these are a few of my favorite things... nicely blended

Instruments of Now - I like the philosophy of poi, the prop combos, the great devil stick and the fire ropes. (how can you not like fire ropes?)

smileFire Groove - The best costumes and settings. beautiful. and nice moves.

smile Fire Sisters - i'm pretty happy with our video.

Arachne - I love the giant fire fan! The secondary image is nice for the first 30 seconds or so, but then it gets distracting. great outfit

smile Fire Storm - Elias again! yay! what a nice surprise. Cute, entertaining video with lots of toys; fire whip, swords, back flips, acrobatics, etc. wonderful.

Shakura - love the single fire ball. it's one of my faves. the hooked swords are neat. fabulous double staff. looks like bender likes to be on top?

Rope Dart - very neat. when I finally decide to study this toy, I'll be glued to this video.

smilePoi Duo - smooth, great moves, can see what's happening.

smile Dee D'Caro - this guy is amazing!!! neat meteors will be studying this more later.

smile Phoenix - Wow! great contact staff. love when he catches it on his foot and spins it. loved the two poi in each hand, the fire ropes, the double staff and the balancing act at the end. Wow!

Arsn - lovely. great isolations and hyperloops. is that your baby? he looks like a natural.

Clayton Aldred - nice contact staff

SYNG - the use of photos is a neat idea. The melodic metal and the gas mask were a nice change of pace. nice one-handed stuff. you are doing amazing for only doing it for three months! congratulations.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
I wanted to thank SYNG and Clare for writing about their experiences in making their videos.
I spent about a month and a half on ours. Of course, it ended up quite different from our original vision. Lindsay was pretty busy, so I edited the music, which was done by my friend Teresita. We learned to spin fire together, so it was like having another fire sister in the video.
I found the fabric for the costumes and had them made, as well as finding the masks and alot of stripey socks. I also made the black light staffs. Lindsay made the dreadlocks and did the face and body painting. And helped alot with the routine.
At the last minute, we discovered that my old green flags didn't glow enough! So, I had to switch to white.
Zero Gravity Circus was kind enough to let us use their theatre and black light canon. My wonderful cousin Ian shot the video (for the third time!).
At the last second, I had two assistants cancel, I was totally stressed and wondering "why the heck am I doing this?"
But after I saw the final cut, I realized why: Because I wanted to see a poi video that told a story and used black light in a totally different way. And I did.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
well, this entry was a lot different from our last 2. instead of having multiples shots and splicing them together, our goal was to get everything in one continous take. The trick was to do it, while still being interesting and entertaining. The upside to this is that you when get it done, its done quick. The downside is, obviously if you screw up, the take is unusuable. Add that to everyone's busy schedule, and it came down to only having one night to shoot in...and it rained right before the shoot. Unlike our other shoots where we had plenty of time, and the hardest part was doing something cool...like finding a pond that was deserted enough wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

SYNGEGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
IT'S ~SYNGE~........~SYNGE~ ! NOT SYNG....I DON'T SING ANYTHING! ~SYNGE~ AS IN BURNING FLESH AND/OR HAIR.......LOL...IT'S ALL GOOD wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
In reply to malcolm. (Becuase maybe his comments are 'aimed' at me.)

[ I am unable to watch all online videos to check if something is copied. And I am not about to. ]

Nobody suggested you should. OWD also said you wouldn't be able to do this but I ignored its implicit statement that I had implied this, which I hadn't. After all, not everybody can be as interested as me in watching videos online... I have a lot of free time.

[ COL as stated above is NOT a best of the best compilation. Some people will, year after year, believe that it is and hence say it is crap. ]

No but it is a competition, you would expect it to attract the best of the best, especially with a large prize. Unfortunately each year it only seems to attract one or two of the best. I understand that that's what you have to work with. It's not your fault the standard of submitted entries is low.

Which makes it a shame that you have shortened the time each entrant gets. I'd rather than a few long entries by good spinners than a 'diverse' range that includes a lot of overlap in styles and a lower level of spinning.

[ Each year people get upset because they are better, or they rubbish it for their ego's sake. ]

I got dissappointed. Again. So yes I am rubbishing it, I'm saying it didn't live up to my expectations. How they ever got so high after previous COL's (??) is due to the expectation that a larger prize money would attract more talent.

[ I have heard it all and each year it happens all over again. ]

That's a shame. Maybe if you took more notice of the comments, then it would become a better video and you wouldn't have to put up with annoyed whiney customers like me each year? I'm sure you get hundreds of ass-licking hippies loving it each year, and hence can happily ignore anyone with critical faculties.

[ It takes great courage to put a video up for all to see be it on a DVD or online. Slagging people for having a low standard is easier than submitting something better.
And which action helps the community spirit. ]

The first part of that obviously doesn't apply to me. But I would happily destroy the community spirit in order to remake it into something that would be more critical and really push forward the art of spinning. You really don't want me to copy the style of linda's post and say what I really thought of each entry, and not just the cleaned up comedy versions. I'm tempted to do this, but unfortunately I don't feel anyone would take the advice and next year all the same mistakes would be made. That and it would probably be deleted.

[ Sure lets be honest and not sugar coat everything, and remember to also encourage people to try harder, and mention how great it was that they shared, and mention the things they also did well. ]

I try and do this anyway. Apart from the sharing bit. I'm not a frickin' american group therapist.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

Personally, I thought that by adding a bigger prize was a better idea.

I really thought so too! Reality is stranger than fiction... confused

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
a nice big prize can work wonders, but for some of us - read me- having a digital vid camera would help lots.

I dont have access to one so cannot enter frown

will try for next time though (I hope)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
I think COL 2006 is alot better then last years biggrin

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I think COL shouldn't be a competition. Since it's not a best of the best competition but a presentation of the firecommunity, i have no idea of the criteria on which the top3 videos are determined. I'd rather see something like giving everybody who makes it to the dvd a 100-200 dollar giftcertificate to the Homeofpoi store. Maybe a special mention and 200 dollars more to a few vids. Since there isn't any kind of consensus of what is considered best, this all seems too random. I really would want to see a best of the best dvd but I think the community needs a video like this also. But it shouldn't be a competition.

Point your toes.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I have to admit this is where the confusion lies. In having a competition, everyone asumes that only the best entries would be accepted. When however an overall display of the fire arts is aimed for, then it should no longer be a competition, but a compilation. When the whole perspective of the current fire arts is to be attained, then there needs to be a lot of clips of park players just starting, as poi and whatnot is starting to get really popular at a skyrocketing level, and lets face it, the most/average who play are beginners. However, putting clips of this 'in competition' with people who have been professionally fire performing 5+ years would be completely ridiculous.

I personally believe however the competition aspect of COL should be emphasized. I find watching performers who are far better than me inspiring, which than pushes me to go further. Watching numerous mediocre fire clips often just makes me really frustrated, and I start thinking, why the hell do I even bother putting in so much effort?

Lets face it, there's numerous possibilities for beginners/intermediate level to post on the internet for positive criticism. Why not create an inspirational best of the best? Or at least with an emphasis on pursuing the fire arts to a higher level of excellence?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

shaySILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
check this out:

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
I agree with you entheogen, I like it as a competition. mainly because it motivates people to do their best and partly because i'm more likely to invest a little bit into a video (costumes, good camera rental, new toys, etc.), if there is an itsy bitsy chance of getting something back. biggrin

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by The Antti

Point your toes.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, done the deed, watched the vid...including Masara in Daiba.

Omigoodness don't worry bout a thing Dave and Di, the first bit is suuuch a rip off, but soggy as noodles. The rest of their routine is fine in a feral firefan/adequate doubles kinda way...at least there's not a predictable fire chain finale... oh, hang on....

But I can see why it is on COL.. the mad grin is indeed priceless, and it is the doof ambience rather than the moon- and-water so poetically prevalent elsewhere...

Otherwise than that my fave bits were:

Dragons Dream: Can't see the 'tricks', but the centred joy of the lovely solo spinner were exactly what the Instruments of the Now lads are chatting about.

I liked their bit too, despite falling about laughing... we indeed have a new (verbal) instrument.. firedance meets psychobabble = Pyrobabble!

Loved Arsn of course, Robert Bruce, Clare and everyone else who put in the smooth clear flows. I did find myself, like MCP, occasionally shouting at the screen.. usually things like *stand up straight boy* or *synchro means at the same time you sloppy puppies*

And overall I like COL:

I like the combination of full professionalism and people doing it for the love of it... that actually says something that I love about this scene around the world.. the (usual) lack of snobbishness and elitism.

Some clips may not be the most fancy tricks but you could show anywhere and they'd look good. Kfire for instance. So we are witnessing the beginnings of the production-based Fire Video.. bring on FTV...

But I booked an appointment at the optometrist when I'd watched half of Ninaruna before I realised that it was Luke and not Viv! Good thing I saw you this summer or I'd still wbe worried if you ever got out of that tidal cave alive! hug

ps I have posted this in two threads cos it is relevant to both... not spamming, promise!)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I feel bad saying what I'm about to say..I feel I should be going 'Wow' after watching this..but I didn't...

Too much

"Ooo fire isn't it oh so spiritual"

"Look at me I'm a big show-off"

"I am in the dark and nobody can see me"

Not enough

Smiling

Who on that DVD looked like they were actually enjoying themselves..?

Where were the smiles?
I'll admit, there were some..but the astomphere created by some of the videos hid the fun that some of you must have been having!

I'm going to refrain from writing a little review for each video for fear of hurting peoples feelings.
Knowing most of the winners read this forum puts me off saying "Well to tell you the truth I thought that was a bit rubbish"

I will say however I was lucky(?) enough to see the Eastboune Fire Festival in the flesh.
I was there with some of my friends from college.
"Oh wow do you really do stuff like that?!"

Maybe im biased as I've seen (and done?) so much more advanced stuff than these guys were pulling off...I thought the whole thing was a bit tacky.
And the camera was shakey.

Oh! And Fire Groove...
Nice spinning, lovely in fact, but I really didn't like where the video was filmed.
It was like a cross between an R'n'B video (tropical setting? check, scantily clad women? check, light and smoke machine? che...what?)
Then I was thrown back into the days of school discos, which for me made it look a little cheesy frown

A bit disspointed, and confusingly, feeling bad about myself for feeling this way confused

Cwazy_Wabbitnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Knowing most of the winners read this forum puts me off saying "Well to tell you the truth I thought that was a bit rubbish"

I will say however I was lucky(?) enough to see the Eastboune Fire Festival in the flesh.
I was there with some of my friends from college.
"Oh wow do you really do stuff like that?!"

Maybe i'm biased as I've seen (and done?) so much more advanced stuff than these guys were pulling off...I thought the whole thing was a bit tacky.
And the camera was shakey.

(snip)

A bit disspointed, and confusingly, feeling bad about myself for feeling this way confused

Thanks for the constructive cricism, when shot, I didn't have any knowledge of the competition. I did an edit of the 15 minute performance and did a couple of highlights videos to music.

I then noticed the competition on this site and decided to enter, cue a rushed week or two running around getting approvals from the talent. I then spent time running round getting some new music I could get approval for because I dont think the music used live or on the highlight reels would get approval.

To be honest after showing the talent the revised entry they were a bit down after feeling rather good about the highlight videos but we decided to enter, better to try and fail than fail to try.

I wasn't particularly hopeful given the tips on the video competition

not using"auto focus" - my bad, but didn't have time to set up the cameras for a fixed focus point at the middle of the stage, the lack of light drove the cameras nuts at times, very frustrating.
using a tripod - two camera angles, one handheld, one static, trouble is due to the point above, the static one didn't have that much footage. The position of the handheld could have been better, in between the crowd and the stage, but didn't have time to get there and was tiring holding a camera above ones head for 15 mins.
multiple camera angles - tried, but see the two points above.
having some extra light so we can see you - point taken and hopefully, if I enter next year that will be resolved.
filming in a nice location - not much you can do with an open air stage on a pebble beach in low light, but a point to take on board for next year.
dressing up - I though a lot of effort went into that by the talent.

Anyways, I was surprised when I got the email confirming I was on, so much I gave a whoop in the comfort of my own home and phoned the talent the good news.

My comments on the DVD are earlier on this thread, I feel priveleged to be on the DVD, I think the talent are quite happy and proud too.

The funny thing is watching it together the talent is dissecting the moves and the performance whilst I am dissecting and analysing the technical aspects of the video.

I am quite happy to admit that there are some videos there that blew me away either for the quality of the performance or the technical aspect of the edit and I feel privileged to be on the same DVD. Nonetheless it is inspiring to look at what needs to be done to raise the bar for next year, a little more time to arrange some music, to set up the cameras, get some equipment and consult with the talent as to what moves they want on the video as highlights.

Bring on next year's competition.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
Salut....

.....i just watched the col dvd .....and after i had seen all the entries I actually was wondering wheather the competition is about the best costume, background or video edit......
.....I thought it's about spinning, throwing, dancing, juggling...etc.
people who take part at this competition should be able to control their toys/props and I couldnt see many who were able to do that......loads of self expression in different ways, but if i would be wanted to judge this competition and all the entries this year.......I can only share gabes attitude.....people watch your back....and if you want to be synchron work on that!!!!
apart from that.....
there were two outstandingly wicked entries, unfortunately you couldnt see all their abilities as the entries were only allowed to be 3 minutes!

First of all this Phoenix-Fire Project.....those two are smashing wonderful,....impressive and they can control their body and their props.....but they are even better than what you can see on the dvd.....still wonderfully done for only 3 minutes!

my all time favourite on this dvd will still be THE AMAZING RUBBERHEART DUO: you guys rock....sooooooooo much.....and you improved so much......you were the only two who made me smile, laugh and impressed me at the same time.....you can control you thousand staffs.....your body.....and you even integrate some kind of performance...which is awesome...my compliments! you put sooooo much time and love in your performances........how shall i compare with that???
thx for those 3 minutes of pleasure and fun......lovely to watch again,....and again and again.....hug

.....one wheel dave: I did love the juggling part at the end of your entry......esp. the angle you chose!!!

apart from that.....i did like ninasaru as well, but i expected more......or it just hasnt been the best performance i have seen by them so far....or lets rather say it like that i have seen better ones from them, but they sended in a different one!

dan: interesting! very dan i'd say! wink

anyway Oikeen hyvää onnea, antti!

wink

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

Page: