Forums > Social Chat > International Car Sales

Login/Join to Participate

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
I'm posting here because I know this board has a good international readership and I'm looking for international answers.

Here in the US, new cars don't really have a fixed price, only a suggested sticker price. When you go buy a new car here you expect to spend an hour or two haggling with the dealer to get a decent price. The price you pay depends on your negotiating skills and 2 people can pay several thousand dollars difference for the same car.

Do other countries do new car sales the same way or is there a fixed price that everyone pays without haggling?

Thanks

"Better to burn out than it is to rust" - Neil Young

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
OK, I guess people who play with fire aren't allowed to buy new cars

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I don't even have a driving licence let alone a new car. ubblol

Having never purchased a car this info could be wrong, but I think in the uk most New cars are priced up and you pretty much pay whats on the ticket unless you trade in and old car. There may be a little bit of leeway, but not a huge amount and I think it's more likely that they throw in freebies, like mats and hubcap upgrades, than lower the price.

Once again I point out I've never bought a car so that maybe wrong.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm not too sure about brand new cars maddog, but i think it's more of a case of how mant extras you get thrown into the deal, second hand cars you can haggle down like crazy though

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
Thanks biggrin

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i reckon it all depends on your bargaining power

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Most cars are overpriced to the tune of a couple of thousand that you can negotiate off. Certain brands are cheap and you can't haggle, Daewoo and Kia are two that are fixed price.

Show them cash and you'll get something off. Want finance and you won't.

Popular models won't be discounted, if the car has been in the lot for a while they'll try and shift it. I once got a very decent car half price as there was a fault on the ECU that made it constantly rev at 3000 and it had been sat on the lot for 6 months. It cost me $80 to get fixed.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
Skulduggery was right i think for the U.K. I may only be 14, but i know from my parent's experience that unless you import it, there's a pretty much fixed price.

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It changed drastically in recent years, now you can get decent deals in Germoney... Buy online and you get up to 20% on Kia, 15% on Audi... 21% on Opel (Holden)...

Dealers bargain depending on your neg. skills and it slowly becomes like the US... especially if (internationally) shopping on mainland Europe the deals get pretty good...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink