Forums > Other Toys > Fire Snakes (hardware)

Login/Join to Participate

AavaniBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
So I am looking to make a set of fire snakes for a friends birthday. The design will be a little diffrent than the ones HOP has to offer, but I can't seem to find the metal bit used to anchor the rope to the chain. I have searched high and low and cant even find them at local hardware stores...

wtf is it called even...

Matt Goehler
~eoipoi~
rope dart

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
It may well be referred to as a crimp, possibly a something or other type of crimp. Other than that I'm afraid I can't be much help.
Have you considered splicing the rope onto a ring? Or does kevlar not splice well, I've never worked with it, but for most other ropes that would be a more secure option.

AavaniBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
The main reason I wanted to use the metal bit instead of sewing with Kev thread was for looks mainly. That and I know he is rough with his toys (this needs to be durable). I can just magine a flaming piece of rope flying into the audience. *haha* err damn thats not funny:P

Matt Goehler
~eoipoi~
rope dart

AavaniBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Anyone else wanna take a stab?

Matt Goehler
~eoipoi~
rope dart

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
On mine we got a piece of pipe, fit the kevlar rope into that (with the end still covered in glue) and then squashed it in a vice. After putting a bolt through the pipe/rope we then squashed the other end flat and put a hole in it to attach the chain.That worked well enough.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Why have any metal on your fire ropes at all?
Why not simply tie a knot at both ends of a piece of kevlar rope and then use that?

Im sure I have never seen that anywhere... ubbangel wink

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aavani

The main reason I wanted to use the metal bit instead of sewing with Kev thread was for looks mainly. That and I know he is rough with his toys (this needs to be durable). I can just magine a flaming piece of rope flying into the audience. *haha* err damn thats not funny:P

Splicing isn't sewing. It involves weaving the rope back into itself and done properly it is exceptionally secure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_splicing
I would use an eye splice.
Splicing works well with softer cottony ropes, and not so well with prickly plasticy ropes.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
The only problem I can see with using a splice, it the bulk of the actual splice itself. Given that you'll probably be using 3/4 or 1 inch line ( and can actually teach yourself to splice braided rope ) you'll be left with a big bulky "eye" right up near the handles.

I'm not going to say how mine are constructed, but I will say that the construction is so questionable that I need to check them thoroughly before every burn. In fact today might be the day to install that backup safety system I've been thinking about.

The pipe idea sounds like the most secure method.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kieron

On mine we got a piece of pipe, fit the kevlar rope into that (with the end still covered in glue) and then squashed it in a vice. After putting a bolt through the pipe/rope we then squashed the other end flat and put a hole in it to attach the chain.That worked well enough.

You can see what they look like here smile

As far as I'm aware they are very secure. Kieron hasnt reported any problems yet, so I'm very pleased with them ubblove

Like kieron said, metal tube, stick rope in with glue on, squish down in vice, drill hole, add nut and bolt, saw off excess bolt and file down for a smooth finish and sharp bit free.

Then squish other half of tube down in vice, dril a hole and attach whatever handle you wish to on it smile

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
"Why have any metal on your fire ropes at all?
Why not simply tie a knot at both ends of a piece of kevlar rope and then use that? "

I've never found the idea of having entirely kevlar fire ropes very appealing when i'm soaking them that close to where i'll be holding them. If only soaking a head, yes. Though i've never spun fully rope ones and wonder how well they spin.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
They are ubblove

biggrin

AavaniBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
Awesome I think I have enough info. We will see how they turn out!

Matt Goehler
~eoipoi~
rope dart

ardenterSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
If you try full ropes with nothing else, you should be very careful of the part you are holding onto catching on fire.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or you can alternativly simply not dunk the handles in your fuel wink
So dont dunk them too deeply as some fuel will be drawn up through the wick anyway towars your hand, unless you whip the rope with kevlar thread.

shrug

AavaniBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
I will post a pic as soon as they are made. I plan to have at least 3inches or ball chain between the wick and the handles....err it will work:P

Matt Goehler
~eoipoi~
rope dart