Forums > Help! > Windows IIS vs Linux Tomcat/Apache servers

Login/Join to Participate

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
I need help!

(please watch for differences between internet and intranet)

I have been developing websites/applications for a while using ASP.net/XML.

Some of these sites have been setup on 'clients' servers (intranets etc.) and a couple on my own.

Up until now i have used win serv 2003 - IIS on the servers.........
However, im building an intranet site currently that is going to incorporate some content management software for this guys internet site (located on a webhosts server).

So basically he can access his intranet on a local server and run the software there, which sends the updates to the website server. The reason its a piece of software (as opposed to a web page) is that it needs an idiot proof front end, and needs to update multiple files on the server at once. He has already purchased the software package, so i have to run with it, and apparently is all ready to work once installed.

Problem is that this software is not compatible with IIS and ive been told it needs to run on Apache (which i know little about). This obviously means he needs a Linux server instead (not a problem).

I have never setup or hosted anything on a linux server before and am quite intimidated about it to be honest!
Is it worth me learning to use Apache, or is there another way around it?
Has anyone setup a system like this before?
If it were able to run on IIS this wouldnt be a problem........

please bear in mind that this is my hobby not my job.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yes you should learn apache, but you can run it on windows. Just grab a copy of xampp if you want to learn on windows and have a play.

IIS really isn't worth knowing IMHO, it's a waste of time.

AS is ASP. I learned it first and knowing both ASP and PHP well I can was that PHP is far better, but you should learn python and perl - or any other 'real' language.

By the way, whats this software? If it's Java based then the chances are it will be horrid.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
xampp.

I would be careful as i run xampp on my local server and if your running scrips like php that require "register globals", i can not get them to confifure and run on my xampp apache server.

not so much of a problem as php should not require the use of register globals but so prebuilt portals and CMS sites do.

im with sym... get learning, i dont know ASP but php is simple.. but some pre built sites php code differs.

poiinthepark.biz is my website that i have just finished and is running on a linux system.. but the host can not find out how to configure the php server side to allow file uploads from modules in my site!.. this is a big problem as i require this function to enable my users to upload poi videos etc. confused

any ideas SYM? .. linux server running with ispconfig.
On an apache it is located in php.ini .. this i dont know as i dont have access to a linux box.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
well, xampp should only be used for a live site if it's secured down A LOT, and it's not designed for that, it's a dev box server that is simple.

You may as well install everything on its own for a live site, everything is more secure that way.

PK, for your site, I can't really help unless I know more about the set up. What errors are you getting? You should be able to use post to save files under 8MB, but post isn't really a good idea for larger files as timeouts are common. Plus it will use more cycles on the server and slow everything down.

What CMS are you using?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Server is linux, and the webhost software is opensource called ispconfig.

My site is running on php code.

The code works fine on my dev server at home (winxp sp2, xampp apache server). File upload upto and above 1gb, transfers fine through the sites code.

Nothing transfers on the live server. There are no errors reported, it seems that the file has transfered and does not apear in the admin or in the SQL db and no file reaches the server.
I just need to know if there is a file to config to allow uploads of more than 8mb and where to find it on a linux box.

Also the same problem running a nuke portal on this same server.. (not my site).
The host is a friend and has no idea what im talking about when i said you need to configure the php.ini and he says that there isnt one for the linux box ?? (IMHO there must be).

Thanks dude.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well it's all in php.ini!

This is from my php.ini:
 Written by:

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

If he says there isn't one then he's wrong wink Just tell him to search for it, it should be in /etc.

Also, there will be a setting for displaying errors in there. It sounds like it's off, as it should be for live sites because the errors can give away too much information about your server.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Oh, just run phpinfo on the server...that'll help! If you can give me a URL for it then I'll see if I can help more.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I pretend I know what you guys are saying so I seem cool

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well, this isn't shades on a beach cool really is it?

It's geek cool.

And thats not cool.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Do you like star trek sym

offtopic

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
NO!

ubbangel

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
pah, if only, guess I'm a different geek then, but are star trek geeks uncooler than computer geeks? probably

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I don't think there is a difference.

Unless you are a role play geek, and then you are far more uncool than a computer geek. I'm not one of them, thats for sure!

No really, I'm actually not.