Page:
pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've been looking through some of the threads and don't understand some of the tearms used.

*Beat (I'm guessing thats one full swing)

*TTN

*TTT

if anyone's got anything else they'd like to add to the list, please do, it'll help us newbies that dont use 'poi language'

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
beat - swinging something has a beat, like a metronome, or most things musical. you can think of it as any point in the swing you want really, but most of the time people think of it as the point the poi head is at the bottom, as if it was beating down on something.

TTN - Thread The Needle, butterfly style poi trick.

TTT - erm, dunno, haven't seen it anywhere, I even tried searching ?

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
BTB - behind the back

Wall plane - spinning the poi in front or behind you (left to right or vice versa)

Side plane - spinning the poi along side you, like a weave.

3bt or 5bt - signifies 3 beat or 5 beat or whatever

Isolation - a category of trick where the poi head and spinners hand move around the edge of the circe, and the centre is halfway up the poi string.

Wraps - where the poi is wrapped round a body part and sprung out in the other direction.

Thru-wraps - same as a wrap but you move the body part so the poi keeps spinning

Flowers - name for tricks involving putting small circles round the edge of a big one (crap explanation, see flower threads for more detail)

Antispin - where the poi are moving one way, but your hands are moving in a circle the other way.

Fountain - Forwards 3bt weave to backwards 3bt weave in the wall plane with the transition done low down, then backwards 3bt weave to forwards 3bt weave with the transition done high. (Note: there is plenty of discussion as to whether there is a windmill at the top, I don't think so myself)

Hope that helps!

smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
BTL - Between the legs / Bacon Tomatoe Lettece
BTH - Behind the head
RH(S) - Right Hand (Side)
LH(S) - Left Hand (Side)

I reckon that TTT is a mispelling, unless they meant Through the tongue.. umm Do you have a link to where you saw it please?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
And then there's UTL-Under The Leg, meaning lifting one leg, not to be confused with BTL, where both legs stay on the ground.

OTH-Over The Head in ceiling plane, not to be confused with BTH, which is done in walll plane.

And my personal favourite, FTF...Fisting the Fairy...which is just another term for TTN

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Thanx guys!!

The TTT, is here, 4th post down

[Old link]

though is does say next to it, 'turning the time'

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

And my personal favourite, FTF...Fisting the Fairy...which is just another term for TTN

LOL... I had to laugh when I saw that!!!

eeekmember
38 posts

Posted:
nut cracker.... another term for butterfly

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
theres an encyclopoidia in spherculism.net. but you need to sign up. and i think spherculism is still kinda [censored] up so it might not work.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I tried to find the wikipoidia the other day and it wasn't there frown

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
This is of wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_%28juggling%29

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
courtesy of spherculism.net:
Encycopoidia Omnimodus

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i love the poidia...

Sorry everyone, just noticed the wiki's not online at the moment. But that link above goes to the forum where we discussed all the terms. I kinda prefer people to use that anyway, cos it encourages discussion as opposed to setting things in concrete.

That forum has all the information you could ever want about poi terminology. Everyone (who wanted to) discussed every term we could think of for months. Sorted out discrepancies between international dialects and crystalised the terms into a fairly agreeable lexicon, The Poidia.

The content of the wiki is on the server, but the wiki to access it isn't. The wiki is on the development site without the content.

So i'd suggest using the forum link above for now, any questions can be asked in there. Then the new site will be here soon enough.

For an interesting read check out the 'Plural Zee Alpha' thread from a few years back wink

Not sure about 'turning the time', but maybe check out 'Box Planes' and 'Trinity'

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Ya, TTT, given the context in which it was used, I understand it as being something like an "invented" term that only applies to three point flowers. Maybe Tom can expand on what he meant by it.

While we're on it. Could box planes and atomics be considered variations on the same theme? I was playing with atoms last night and at the end of my burn, started playing with "box stalls"

Damn, I forgot all about the trinity idea, not only is it great if you find yourself performing in the round, you can also use is as a way to change the direction your poi are spinning in by turning your body a full 360 deg. ie fwd weave--> 120 deg turn to rev weave-->another 120 deg. turn in the same direction to fwd weave again-->a third 120 deg turn, and your back to your original position but this time spinning rev weave.

Is the term "fakey" still alive and well? I don't see it used here on HOP at all?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ahhh, just read the link and can fill in the gaps now i think...

'turning the time' is a nx?-specific reference to 'clock time'.

read [Old link] smile

at its core, its simply manipulation of relative speeds (i.e. 'timing') when poi are moving in opposites.

meditate on how you get between same-time and split-time butterflies and all will be revealed meditate

clue: its loosely related to polyrhythms ubbangel

[Old link], although its not suprising as that thread mentions just about everything to do with poi, ever wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Atomics can be considered 'Inverse Box Planes' and vise versa(but don't hold me to that)

box plane stuff tends not to lead to tangles, atomics do. ie when doing atomics if you go one way the move works nomally, if you go the other way, you tangle.

Fakies are brilliant. I always teach hard stuff by dropping fakies into a pattern then switching the fakey for a throw or wibble or tangle etc.

Arashi showed me that thing where you do a regular butterfly (cross points top and bottom) then keep it the same but rotate the cross points around the circle. Sounds easy? It's uberHard. Great drill, even if it makes you look like a numpty.

Trinity is great, don't forget the horizontal planes. That goes for boxes too.

laters,

m

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

[Old link], although its not suprising as that thread mentions just about everything to do with poi, ever wink

cole. x

Thanx for that link, useful!!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I read Nx's thread on atomcraft, the one where he described the direction of spin for atomics as mesh, and clash. So are the main differences between atomics and box planes determined by the "overlap" between two right angle planes. Am I correct in stating that atomics do overlap to some degree ( in my case I have my hands as close together as possible in an attempt to make a sphere) while box planes have no overlap?

I tried that ttt drill, yep,,,I felt like a newbie, but I like those kind of drills, they make everything else ( that I know how to spin ) feel so much easier and fluid by comparison

Trinity in horizontal planes?? I do use it with my 4btCS, but I hadn't thought of playing with it using boxes

But back to poi language. One thing I find helpful is to think about moves in terms of pieces of other moves. For instance, today I was working on horizontal atomics ( overhead ceiling plane, like on the front page of Fire Toms website ) and it dawned on me that I was actually spinning the top half of a corkscrew along with the top bit of a flower.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

it dawned on me that I was actually spinning the top half of a corkscrew along with the top bit of a flower.

I love having those revelations. Messing about with weave the other day I realised that BTB weave is not actually a backwards weave, but a flipped upside down one. If you bend over backwards doing weave, moving the cross point up over your head in a big arc until it is directly behind you, the poi are doing exactly the same thing as they do in a BTB weave, which is more of a reflection of a backwards weave.

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
 Written by: eeek

nut cracker.... another term for butterfly

ubblol ubblol ubblol Ohh soo true, especially when it goes wrong ... it sucks being a bloke sometimes

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
TTT = trust the trees, my mates daughter told me that the other day, and here it is on here, :cosmicforces: wink

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ethnobot

TTT = trust the trees,

Ok...what's that?

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
nothing relevant to poi, just 'trust the trees' which is TTT as requested on this thread.
if your climbing a tree, you have to trust it, then it is less likely to break a branch at you, or eject you forcibly into another dimension, or graze your elbows, or drop fruit on your head, suddenly decide to have a 20yr growth spurt in 5 seconds thus enprisoning you in its sappy, drumming trunk or any other malicious things a tree can do to you...

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
i just started poi i normaly do staff any advice?

Scooby

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Try all the poi lessons, learn the basics, and have fun!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
all right i'll give it a shot

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
The Encyclopoidia over on spherculism can now be found here. It's a pretty extensive list of defined poi terms, enjoy.

It's still a work in progress, soon to have a nice makeover and update.

TTN is more useful to think of as a 2 beat butterfly

TTT is not a generally used term that i've ever heard of

Poi video lessons can be found in the spherculism gallery here.

m

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
shame on you for not having negative space in there, young man. spank

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and 'hug'

ubbcrying

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
the atomic terms are just something i made up to describe what was said before about atoms tangling when done in a certain way, but that dosnt mean you can spin atoms in clash, it just means you have to move them.... wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
bluecat spank

Community projects rely on the whole comunity to get involved, i didn't actually write a single one of those poidia terms because i wanted to know what the community meant by each of the terms, not what i thought it meant.

But i'll add negative space onto a list of terms that need explaining. Perhaps you could suggest a meaning for us wink

and hug

Page: