Forums > Other Toys > Inability to throw in a straight plane

Login/Join to Participate

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
This is very frustrating. Learning to juggle, and while I understand the pattern I need to juggle a 3-ball cascade, I can't throw the balls up straight and they keep running off in front of me.

Any tips on more...vertical throwing?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Stand up against a wall smile

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Juggling over your bed is great:
1) it stops you walking forwards
2) it's less far to lean down and pick the balls up

I think pretty much everyone has trouble with the balls running away from them at first, but I promise you it's a phase you'll soon leave if you keep practising smile

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Regretfully my room is an attic room, and above my bed is about 2 foot of room. Why do the dratted things have to ROLL? rolleyes

One went under my bed earlier and it took me about 5 minutes to find some way to get at it and remove it again. *sigh* It'll come with time.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
When i teach people to juggle at the local circus group there are four things i get them to remember.

1. the juggling beat is just 1 2 3 like the ticking or a clock
2. dont stress out bout it otherwise you will just get annoyed take breaks
3. Always start with your legs in a solid postion if you move forward face a wall you shouldnt move to the sides that much with a solid base.
4. Everything has its own time it toke me months to learn to juggle properly i just didnt give up. It then toke 3 months to juggle rings and 3 weeks to juggle clubs once you got the flow and pattern dont stop throw tricks in and show off.

mike

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Fifthly to that,

Imagine a cicle at just above eye level, about 30cm in diameter, and try to throw each of the balls individually through the circle. They want to go up one side of the circle, and back down ont he other side.

juggle <-- like that.

Well, actually, nothing like that, but you know what I mean!

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Its very difficult to stress out - whenever I get bored/annoyed with one set of toys I pick up the next again smile I am steadily getting longer cascades (by individual throws, but steadily regardless) before the inevitable ball rush, so its all good.

I always see it as a 6-throw pattern, 3 from right to left and then 3 back again for a complete cycle. But it is neater 1,2,3 though.

Its the keeping still I need to work on. What sort of juggling tricks are there...I know _nothing_ about juggling apart from the pattern for the 3 ball cascade, which I have known for years. Any recommendations of simple things to try, once I have the 3-ball under my belt?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Are you Jewish?

Do you own a crazy tie?

Wheres your next meal coming from?

ubbrollsmile

Try those, then when you know them, theres siteswap to get your head round! ubblol

Good luck, and remember, there are loads of jugglers on this site who are always more than happy to help you, so feel free to ask.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
As far as your plane problem goes, I had exactly the same thing when I was learning 3 balls. The solution is definitely juggle up against a flat surface. If your bed doesn't have enough vertical room, put a pillow on a floor next to a wall kneel on it. The lower the better, and the closer to the wall the better. Give it a few days of that, and you'll have it. Good luck!

If you're not getting stressed out when you drop them, you're most of the way there already! Most people give up because they drop the balls too many times. If it doesn't bother you, your there. Just keep going.hug

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Do you own a crazy tie?

wicked links as always jon biggrin

have you seen that guy's world record?!??!!!

you soooooo need to attempt to beat that one... biggrin hug biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
"If you want Nathan to attempt to break his record at your church...give the Dorrell's a call."

Juggles holy water praps?

KnonamBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I learned to juggle by just picking up 3 tennis balls and throwing them all over the place untill I could catch them and sorta figure it out for myself. There was nobody to ask if I was doing it correctly. It just felt right in my hands.

I had that problem too at first but just give it time and practice and youll get the hang of it.