Forums > Social Chat > Respect For Other People's Toy

Login/Join to Participate

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Sorry, have to do a rant thread.

I love sharing my toys. It's an amazing way to "exchange" experience and to feel what you friends are feeling during a spin. It's like you are able to appreciate and understand their moves and motion on a more intimate level. What really really annoys me is when people borrow something and then spin the crap out of it and treat it with no respect.

I can't help grasping when I lend my staff to someone and then helpless watching them throwing it 10 feet into the air before dropping it with a loud clang. I mean whats the point? Shouldn't you at least get a basic feel of it first before attempting any tricks you are not comfortable with?

EDITED_BY: Lowan (1156717492)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Unfortunatly, this stuff happens all the time.

At PLAY festival one nighttime, I lent my poi to a girl in the big top.
Didn't see them/get them back for the rest of the night, decided that it was my bed time and that I'd prolly find them on the floor somewhere in the morning.

I found them the opposite to the floor - the ceiling, or rather the scafolding at the the top of the tent.
I was quite pissed off about that...

Everybody found in quite funny, but I was really quite angry about it...
I expected everybody going to PLAY festival to know how to treat other peoples toys when peopel lend them to them. Even when I have specifically said "Yes you can borrow them but bring them back, I'll be here".

You cant really do much about these select few m'fraid, besides ask if anyone saw anybody flingy some red and white stripey socks into the top of the tent saturday night PLAY festival 2006, whenever you bing up the incident, and plot your revenge...

So, anybody see them? wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
gah! its so annoying, not only with fire toys but all circus stuff in general. most people just dont appreciate the amount of money you spend on these toys and just treat them like sticks /beanbags you can do whatever you want with them. i really dont appreciate it when people use my juggling balls as projectiles against their friends, they cost $9 each, $45 for a set of five, and are NOT meant to be smacking into things at a bazzillion miles an hour. not to mention when people want to use your juggling clubs over bumpy ashfalt! i made a point of not using my clubs on anything but carpet for the first year i had them to keep them in good condition and i take them to a weekend camp to find no less than a dozen on each club. gah. feel my wrath! mad

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
is this aimed at me lowan? i borrowed your fire poi and treated them with as much care as i could. did i do something wrong?

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Unfortunatly, this stuff happens all the time.

At PLAY festival one nighttime, I lent my poi to a girl in the big top.
Didn't see them/get them back for the rest of the night, decided that it was my bed time and that I'd prolly find them on the floor somewhere in the morning.

I found them the opposite to the floor - the ceiling, or rather the scafolding at the the top of the tent.
I was quite pissed off about that...

Everybody found in quite funny, but I was really quite angry about it...
I expected everybody going to PLAY festival to know how to treat other peoples toys when peopel lend them to them. Even when I have specifically said "Yes you can borrow them but bring them back, I'll be here".

You cant really do much about these select few m'fraid, besides ask if anyone saw anybody flingy some red and white stripey socks into the top of the tent saturday night PLAY festival 2006, whenever you bing up the incident, and plot your revenge...

So, anybody see them? wink

frown I couldnt believe someone threw them up there angry. Did you get them back in the end?

Anyways you took quite a liking to my sock poi at PLAY Aimee, and they were just fine when I got them back so it goes to show some people do take care with other peoples stuff hug

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I did get them back yes smile
LTC got them when they took the tent down, and brought them with him when he came to hastings. Lovely chap that he is biggrin
Didn't need them though, as had to buy hyperloop socks (ubblove) at PLAY to cover my loss, and had got used to them.

Tom your socks were ace! Perfect in fact! I loved them ubblove
hug

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Lowan, know just how you feel mate. My staff ends are particularly fragile and bendy. And a total pain when the bolt snaps off (You've seen this happen).

So I just don't lend it to anyone. When I forget this rule I'm normally stood there with my heart in my throat until I get him back.

If you want to protect your equipment, you just have to put up with saying no and feeling like a selfish [censored].

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Sad to hear this dude frown

Do you remember the wasted girl at Gnomelands that came up to me and Strugz saying "I used to be a mojorette so I can obviously spin your fire sticks. Let me use them. I thought you guys were meant to be friendly and open about sharing your things."

When she eventually someone did give in she hit herself several times and kept dropping it.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by: idancelikeatwatme

is this aimed at me lowan? i borrowed your fire poi and treated them with as much care as i could. did i do something wrong?

LOL! No, don't be silly! It wasn't aimed at you man! I thought you did quite well with the fire chains and to be honest I don't think you can do much damage to fire pois anyway. And its not a case of someone damaging them but more of someone being careless with and abuse my toys. redface

The situation I've described above actually happened last Sunday. After I've came home, I noticed the wick on my staff is coming loose. Kind of annoyed about that. Especially after someone threw my staff and dropped it first from 10ft, tried doing it again immediately and dropped it again at 5ft. I mean to me that like his urge to show off overweighed his respect for the property of others.

I know I sound like a right moaner and I shouldn't do that but I was well annoyed last night.

Written by: Seye

Sad to hear this dude frown

Do you remember the wasted girl at Gnomelands that came up to me and Strugz saying "I used to be a mojorette so I can obviously spin your fire sticks. Let me use them. I thought you guys were meant to be friendly and open about sharing your things."

When she eventually someone did give in she hit herself several times and kept dropping it.

Yeah, I remember her. I remember spending the whole time being extremely envious of her because I had to stay sober. I think one of the Liverpool spinners actually gave a drunk guy a pair of lit fire chains. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Lowan (1156795712)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Only time I am in public with my poi is at school (once in a blue moon) and whenever I am at a big venturer camp. I know who I can trust with my poi, and I go with my gut instinct when to let people borrow them. If I am not totally sure of who these people are I will stay and watch and if Im not happy will ask for them back, if I know the person using them I will go walkies, as I know they respect gear and will hold onto them if I get back. There are people I will allow to lend my gear to others, as I know they will be there keeping a close eye on my gear. I guess I am lucky in that the Victorian spinners are a fairly close group and know each other well.

I have had bad experiences though. At AV I was allowing a few people to spin with my gear and went for a short toilet trip. When I came back they were sitting in mud (had just been raining) and no one seemed to care. They were sitting on someone's chair and they didn't like that, so they put them on the ground. Dirt is hard to get out of the juggleart glo poi. The next day a similar thing happened, but I had lent someone my gear and went on an extended walk with some friends. When I came back they were hanging from a tent pole and it had just started raining.. wasnt happy.

Not sure why this has happened, but I recently took out one of my LEDs (luckily not my strobes) to check something and found the side to be cracked badly, and bits were falling off of the LED. I know they are only $20-$25 each, but when you're on $16.80 a week, that's a lot of money

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Bugs me with my percussion toys too. I play middle eastern music and my drums look pretty... they are also just right for me and hard to replace. I don't loan them out unless I know the person can be respectful but heaps of times people have just picked them up and whacked away bad-djembe style. No one would ask to borrow a violin, hit it on the table a few times and imagine they were playing 'music' grrrr.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Don't talk to me about respecting drums! When the choir went to Canada 2 years ago we took over a drum which was a gift to the choir years ago, and put fragile stickers and what not on it. When we got it back, the stickers had been removed and the drum was in about a million pieces.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

No one would ask to borrow a violin, hit it on the table a few times and imagine they were playing 'music' grrrr.

They do it with pianos though, serious bugbear of mine. Well, obiously they don't hit it on a table, but people see a piano, know they can make a noise with it, and start mashing the keys like they are squashing cockroaches. Either that or they try and use it as a table (I get very angry about that as I spent a week stripping and french polishing my piano when it first came to me as a victim of abuse). Of course that only happens when people come to my house, so I have a little more control. Happens a bit with my lap harp too, although people do tend to approach it fairly gingerly, and I never let go of it in public circles.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i came very close to getting my fire staff smashed to bits by some hairy arsed, woman beating babylon pig angry

and also getting myself bashed up cos they classed it as a weapon rolleyes if i was going to beat a copper up i wouldn't risk breaking my fire staff over his head

wait till he got home and petrol bomb his car more like

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
poor ravehead, was that on the weekend?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I think my experiance with the police is better i had bout 10 of them surrond me in the middle of town one time because i was carrying my devilstick over my shoulder in a plastic carrier bag you couldnt see though. so some stupid member of the public decicded to ring them up and say there was a 17 year old walking around with a shotgun over his shoulder it then toke half an hour to explain what a devilstick was with them muttering somthing bout it was able to be used as a weapon. It then toke a further 15 mins to tell them i was actualy on my way to a spin and tbh if i decided i would use something as a weapon my £30 devilstick would not be first choice. I then got a nice letter a couple of weeks later off them apolgising for stopping me and to "avoid further incdents by clearly marking the devilstick carrying device with a sign or writing" and also advised to " Avoid taking a route though the town centre well carrying said device"

LMAO I am sorry but who would of thought a set of devilsticks was a shotgun.

weavesmiley juggle ubbloco wink

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

I think my experiance with the police is better i had bout 10 of them surrond me in the middle of town one time because i was carrying my devilstick over my shoulder in a plastic carrier bag you couldnt see though. so some stupid member of the public decicded to ring them up and say there was a 17 year old walking around with a shotgun over his shoulder it then toke half an hour to explain what a devilstick was with them muttering somthing bout it was able to be used as a weapon. It then toke a further 15 mins to tell them i was actualy on my way to a spin and tbh if i decided i would use something as a weapon my £30 devilstick would not be first choice. I then got a nice letter a couple of weeks later off them apolgising for stopping me and to "avoid further incdents by clearly marking the devilstick carrying device with a sign or writing" and also advised to " Avoid taking a route though the town centre well carrying said device"

LMAO I am sorry but who would of thought a set of devilsticks was a shotgun.

weavesmiley juggle ubbloco wink

I think you explained too much. Couldn't you have told them you are a juggler and the sticks were for juggling? I suppose I will always have the benefit of doubt on my side coz I am Chinese. I could just tell them that its my heritage to practice staff and that my firestaff has been passed down through generations. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Lowan (1156869838)

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I was having fun with my friends in Helsinki last weekend, when I took my poi out some stranger immediately wanted to try them. I tought why not (she was hot wink ) the she brought her friends there aswell. we all had a good time ( I tried to teach them some basics) until some A-hole came along and took my softglow LED balls and started to spin the shyte out of them while ranting how stupid and embarresing it was to spin balls around.

I didn`t care fot that.. at all, so i took off my backbag and overcoat and took a few steps towards him, he ran away screaming "don`t beat me up, don`t beat me up!!"

well.. i guess out of the two of us, I was the ONLY one with balls eh?

(I`m not violent, I just don`t see the point of telling a stranger how embarresing or stupid something that they do is, ppl like this should be tought not to do it, it`s all i tried to do biggrin)

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
xD Never give your LED Poi to a child... >.< I recently got new poi, Flowtoy's Oggpoi. I had a mini performance outside, family, friends, neighbors and strangers arrived, coveting the exits and the entrances. After the little spin, a small group of people clapped and someone else was onstage. As i got down, a little boy, possibly the age of 8, came over to me. As he looked at me, his eyes glared of fascination by the poi. His smile was glowing and his face was grinning of joy. He seemed like a very nice kid. The boy's name is Frank, he was pretty nice... erhmm... until he got the poi that is... He asks me if he can have a go with my poi, i thought of what to tell him. After the debate in my mind, i told him sure. He grew even happier. The music was blasting from the performance that was on its way to its finish. I taught him how to do a two beat weave within a few hours of practice. He was pretty dedicated. Then the boy gets cocky, he starts flailing his arms, twirling like a hurricane. Frank is spinning left and right, literally hitting people and hitting the poi to the ground. On each collision, with each thud i could hear, i felt my eye lids twitch and body to grow stiff. The boy was shredding the poi. I told him that i had to go, and that i need the poi. He goes "NAO!!!!! MINE!!!!". "Frank... please, i really have to go, im going to be late, i have to get home" "ONE MORE MINUTE!" He continues his warpath from hell, left and right he twirls and twists, even hitting himself, i could help but to interrupt. "Frank, i must go. My parents are upset". At this point, my reaction was to tell him that ill see him tomorrow and that ill let him use it more the next day. He threw the poi at me and shouted "yay!". I then walked home, holding my poi and hugging it... Im sorry to say that i didnt see him the next day. shrug

Pretty crappy day that was..

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
.... sadly, this is why I've learned to bring a set of "practice" toys to most places.

I usually bring multiple toys when I go out to play, so everyone can play if they want to. Like, I bring my happy "girly poi" chains, I'll usually stow away a set of crappy Zuni Poi that have more than outlived my expectations for a $30 set that I've put through hell and back. Or, if I bring out my contact juggling spheres, I have some rather "well-loved" ones that went through the entire Arizona Renaissance Festival as "demo/lesson" spheres and a couple of woods alongside my preciouses (3" clear, 3" UV purple, and a set of 2" sparkly ones). This way, everyone can play, and I never have to worry about them damaging the toys I love.

As per kids stealing poi, try stowing away the LED sticks you can buy at WalMart or most camping stores and some nice, fat shoelaces. The kids can't go too nuts on them, but, if they decide not to return them, you're out maybe $7 at most.

Although, I suppose it would be rather hard to trek around with multiple staffs, fans, or drums. If you do have an older one, maybe bring that. Just remember that people who don't know what they're doing just don't understand the delicacy of most of the toys, or the cost to get/make a lot of the more unusual ones.

G'luck!

"So long and thanks for all the fish."