Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Here are some "electric glowsticks" that I've run across...https://www.glowin-a-fuseproductions.com/OnlineStore/awesome_new_toyz/2.htmhttps://www.glowin-a-fuseproductions.com/OnlineStore/awesome_new_toyz/1.htmhttps://www.villagestreetwear.com/elglowstic.htmlhttps://www.glowstickfactory.com/battery.asp------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
has anyone actually bought any of these?I'd be really interested in what;"reasonably good impact resistance' means IRT to using them as Poi smileJosh

FiReSpRiTemember
23 posts

Posted:
::drools::oh.. i want a set!too band i have no money and my credit card is maxed, huh!? frownoh well.. maybe for christmas, unless one of you nice people wanna get em for me... ::grins::------------------What we call human nature, is actually human habit.

Its hard not to play when theres so many toys.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Are these things going to be a repeat of theKrill lamps that looked so cool at firstbut turned out to suck?Now that playing with fire has lost someof its initial allure, I'm getting moreinterested in working on my skills andperformming indoors. Streamers are greatfor daytime use or under black light.Chemical glowsticks are nice in the dark, although only the superbright 1-hour versionsare really bright enough, and you still needto add some additional weight in order tospin them (at least for me.) Unfortunately,I have some environmental issues with the regular use of glowsticks.I've seen the HOP LED balls, but thesethings are just too dangerous, IMHO. Idon't really mind thwacking myself, butI am worried about bystanders. One guyI talked to knocked himself unconsciouswith a set. frownPele showed me some very simple and elegantLED poi that were basically batteries wrappedin bubble-wrap. They aren't pretty to lookat when examined closely, but look fine inmotion, and appear to be durable and safeto boot. I've been planning to make myselfa set as soon as I have some free time.Now, it would be cool if I could just buysomething that really worked. TheBladelights look cool, but I still havemy doubts...-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've used the bladelights. They are nothing like krill lights. Bladelights are basically three LEDs, a very simple circuit board, a battery, and a housing. Krill lights are more complicated, much heavier, and use a different technology.The bladelights that are currently available can be adapted to poi, but are sub-optimal. I adapted a pair by wrapping duct tape over the battery doors, and then attaching D-rings with a hose clamps over the duct tape. I eventually broke one of the lights in one of those inevitable butterfly collisions.Problems: they are too long (8"), too lightweight (barely 2 oz--I needed to add dummy wicks to get enough weight), don't include any kind of attachment ring, have a battery door that tends to fly off, have a weird battery size (ideally they'd take something like AA or AAA so that we could use rechargeable batteries), and, as Malcolm said, don't stand up to hard use. I've already shared these observations with Malcolm.Even with these problems, they make a good alternative to glowsticks. They are bright, and have two blinky modes in addition to steady-on. Even though I broke one, I had gotten the hours-of-use to dollars ratio into the same range as glowsticks.Once Malcolm gets his poi-specific bladelights worked out, I think they'll vastly preferable to glowsticks, and I'll be first in line.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
jesus!! those things are 8 inches long...I would be hitting myself constantly trying to spin them. I spin very close to my face and after months pf spinning with 6 inch sticks, i would be in trouble with those extra 2 inches..(hear that ladies?? bigger isnt better) [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">Super'------------------[/image]"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
They have these little keychain LED flashlights at Target and Best buy that work well. They come in blue, red, orange, green. I took a pair, and put a wire-tie (for bundling computer wires) around the rubber button to keep them on while spinning. I have two blue lights, and they seem to be pretty robust. I am pretty good to where i am not hitting them together. They are heavy enough, and come with rings. It works for me.I am also interested in BUILDING some high intensity BLUE LED POI. I want to make them strong so they won't bust, and power them with AA batteries. I just need to figure out a strong housing (possibly clear PVC)anyone else interested in brainstorming some ideas?

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

FiReSpRiTemember
23 posts

Posted:
Frodus...where in target did you find those keychains at?i just went to 3 different places looking for them.. couldnt find em anywhere. infact i couldnt find any kind of LED lights. are they called something else maybe? or did i just have a few major brain farts somehow!? frownoh, and one more thing.. how much do LED lights run? are they a lot more expensive than regular lights?------------------What we call human nature, is actually human habit.

Its hard not to play when theres so many toys.

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
I found them in the flashlight section near the car automotive stuffThey cost me $5 a piecenot too bad eh?

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
crazyraverdude- thx 4 putting that up 4 me, i havent been able to find those online or irl.malcom- hope your design works, thanks 4 taking the time, i think ill wait till your version comes out (more faith in you than bladespinners) to purchase a pair.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
redbrother,np. smileFiresprite,Try using hard Styrofoam Balls. Works absolutely awesome. smile I used a exacto knife to carve out the inside of it(after I chopped it in half with a hack saw) for the batteries and wiring. 3000mdl(I think that's the unit it's measured in..*shrug*..3000) LED's in various colors at Radio Shack cost $2 a piece. Battery Casing another $2. I bought the styrofoam balls at "Jo-Anne Fabrics" (arts and crafts kind of store..)The only flaw to my design is how to turn them on and off. Any ideas anyone???? =)[This message has been edited by CrazyRaverDude (edited 08 May 2001).][This message has been edited by CrazyRaverDude (edited 08 May 2001).]

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
When you say "turn them on and off" do you mean like a power switch, or are you looking for a way to flash them? If you want to flash them, there are a number of alternatives, but all of them require a soldering iron and a little bit of electronics knowledge. You can use the old standard TTL 555 series as an LED flasher or something more dedicated like the LM3909. (gads, it has been 15 years aince I have done any hardware stuff and I still remember the chip numbers.) In any case, I'm planning to get *really* fancy with a PIC (microcomputer) chip with a microphone and g-force sensors on my LED poi. stay tuned for details...-p.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
pj,I meant turn them on and off. (like..where to put a switch in a styrofoam ball???)But it's good to know that you know how to make them flash as well. =) I have basic electrical knowledge, and am very familiar with a soldering iron. However, I'm not familiar with those particular parts. But I'm sure I can find them at Radio Shack. :PWould be interested in seeing your electrical schematic on your beta poi..*grin*I would be interested in poi that made noise as the g-forces increased.. smile (Or maybe even just when 'struck')------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-