Forums > Social Discussion > how clued up are you about the latin american fire scene?

Login/Join to Participate

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I am doing some research about the Latin American fire-spinning scene.

I'd be really interested to know what people know about the scene in the Latin American part of the world. It does not matter if you have been there or not, in fact if you know absolutely nothing about any fire-spinning that might go on in that part of the world that's just as interesting to me as if you do.

Fire-spinning exists in lots of places that the vast majority of us are unaware of. I would say the main centres of activity are Thailand, Oz, the US and western europe. But this of course doesn't mean that other areas don't produce some fantastically inspiring work in the art.

What are people's thoughts on this?

thanks
Lozjam x

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well here's an appropriate contribution from me wink

each one reach one....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I saw a group doing a firespinning act in Palenque, Mexico.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
figured they'd have something over there.
are there any mexican HoPpers?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
there are loads and loads of south american jugglers, and quite a few of them are on jugglingdb.com
they would certainly be able to point in the right direction...
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
kiss ubblove hug2 kiss hug2 ubblove kiss

there's my useful contribution..........

wink

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
brill! thanks Rob, that website lead me to loads of links biggrin

thanks to all the comments so far. @ 87wt2gxg7: yeah sounds about right eh? it takes a lot of digging, but I'm determined to unearth the scene over there!
@ fluff: back at ya wink kiss hug

much jam,
Lx

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
I met a guy at our bournemouth meet - who woked out there (mexico) for about 2 years performing in various clubs - apparently its a sort after thing and he still has good contacts (so im told) , he tried to convince me to go out again with him......although at the time i was commited to pyroflow....... oh for hiendsight eh wink

I got his number still - he runs circus skills workshops for reprobate kids now, down near swanage smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
you know in Brazil they call poi "swing" smile

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
sounds like even more good reasons to go to south america

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
One of my best mates girlfriends is brazilian. She has recently gone back over there for a bit to wait for a new visa and has started spinning poi.

Apparently she said there's quite a few people near where she lives who spin (or swing) poi.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
cool, I found a forum for circus skills and fire spinning: www.malabares.org
and there's even a bit about meet ups in all the main areas in brasil... though people dont seem to post much shrug

cool

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i saw some juggles and such in uruguay, but no fire. i wasn't precisly looking tho... i've only randomly seen fire as a common pedestrian in california, of all the places in the world. (Not that I've been on more than three continents).

One thing they did in parts of uruguay was juggle/etc/etc in front of your cars at a long signal and then go round with a tips hat right before the light/signal turned green. i thought it was pretty cool.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

One thing they did in parts of uruguay was juggle/etc/etc in front of your cars at a long signal and then go round with a tips hat right before the light/signal turned green. i thought it was pretty cool.

I saw that in mexico with a fire devilsticker...advantage to doing it is that if you mess up, your audience is in metal shielding and the next wave of traffic is a clean slate biggrin

That guy was SERIOUSLY good at devilstick though. Amazing to see.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu4LgCLJBlQ

This is a compilation of video from the fire performances during the 3rd Annual Latino Circus Festival in Bogota, Colombia in March of 2005.

Point your toes.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
kewl!