pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Ok, my friend made me some sock poi yesterday (really nice of him) and I was wondering are there any moves you can do with sock poi you cant do with normal poi and other way round.

And what's your favorite poi.

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
it dosnt matter if it is made from a sock or not, what matters is that it has a weight at both ends.. it dosnt have to be the same on each end..

my favourite poi are made from socks though, 3 socks per poi...

but there are moves (throws) that work with poi with both ends weigthed that will not work with poi with only a weight on one end.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Oli, do you mean you weight your poi with socks, or that the body of the poi has 3 layers?

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
You didn't have cone poi as an option and my fav poi of the moment are Hyperloop cone poi. I guess I'll have to click sock poi instead.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol don't hyperloop make fluffy poi too? wink

anyway, the only option i really agree with would just be 'poi'

but I think fire is probably still my favorite to watch, so I'm going to click that so I can have a peek at the results

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pixiejester

I was wondering are there any moves you can do with sock poi you cant do with normal poi and other way round.

What do you mean by *normal* poi? confused

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Any poi, to me normal poi is my fluffy poi.

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
Any form of tangle/knot moves are so much easier with socks, but i haven't come across any moves that are one or the other specific...

I voted socks but eventually i'll make some fire poi that are as friendly to me as my sock poi.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
definitely some kinda sock type poi... my favourites *were* my stripey sock/tennis ball ones...

now it's a toss-up between my new HoP glow/sock ones and pip's recipe...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
If I could have LED-lighted sock poi with tails, I would be in heaven. Socks for ease of spinning, tails for daytime fun, glows for dancs. And the angle between sock and tail would be awesome.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I got another pair of glow poi last week, that makes my 7th set, and my 3rd glowly set smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: oli

but there are moves (throws) that work with poi with both ends weigthed that will not work with poi with only a weight on one end.

and vice versa, i been resisting counterweighted poi for ages because i love the effect of throws without couterweights....

ok, so you can get nearly the same thing with the weights, but its a damm sight harder, like throwing perfect flats, but with floppy things....

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
 Written by: oli

and vice versa, i been resisting counterweighted poi for ages because i love the effect of throws without couterweights....

ok, so you can get nearly the same thing with the weights, but its a damm sight harder, like throwing perfect flats, but with floppy things....

T wave

I agree. I like the effect you get when you throw an unweighted poi, and the feeling of satisfaction you get when the chain slaps into the palm of your hand ubbloco

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
How does that work? I can't get throws to work cleanly at all without counterweights. When I throw un-weighted poi the handle will swing out to about vertical, then the weight of the head makes it plumet straight downwards. Whereas with weighted handles I get a kind of isolation effect where the handle and the head each turn around a point somewhere along the chain depending on the wight ratio. But the handle kicks all the way round and lands in my hand with the satisfying plonk that wolfbro describes smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
depends what your using, generally if the head isnt heading straight for the ground then it can keep rotating.

with anything other than socks,get to the point that youd normally let go and as you do, flick the handle down and away from you with your thumb.
If you do it hard enough its almost like the poi jumps back towards you, best done with cones + single knots (not weighted)

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tom_Shill

When I throw un-weighted poi the handle will swing out to about vertical, then the weight of the head makes it plumet straight downwards.

yup. hence you can do really sweet behind the neck catch stalls from high throws....

and if the head is going in an arc then the tail follows nicely...

im not saying that its the best, just that there are things you can do with unweighted poi that you cant with weighted ones..

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
I quite like my flag poi, but I have to say that I'm wary bout fire poi now. Last time I used them I was doing five b and the tangled and one of the heads swang up and I burt both arms on the screw heads ... left be a bit wary of fire poi.

jessiecatSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
my favorite poi of the moment are my fire poi cos I just got back into burning, this always seems to happen to me just as It gets to winter! However I have also just bought some really pretty ones with red chiffon scarves for tails for the daytime and made a new pair of sock poi cos I am determined to learn some hyperloops and airwraps this year! Ahh, I just love em all really!

fire pretty