Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 2 poi juggling tips and tricks

Login/Join to Participate

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Ok so there is a 3 poi juggling tips and tricks thread… but I havnt got that far yet. I have been playing about with ways I can juggle 2 poi though…

There are a few base patterns that are useful:

Wibbling – one poi on each hand.. Easiest is in split time butterfly configuration I think, but learning all the variations is useful.

Also good base patterns to practise are doing circles in front of you but throwing the poi on every beat, butterflys and same direction stuff both works nicely, you can do this all separated to make it a bit easier but I still find it quite hard, ive been getting my longest runs on outwards split time butterfly as that’s what I have been practising most… but again its useful to learn all the variations.

Another good base pattern is doing throws where you catch the head then throw it again and then catch the handle again and repeat, keeping the poi going the same direction, practise doing this with both hands again try to learn all the variations. These blend really nicely into wibbles and ibbles.

Also one handed showers.. but these are tricky I reckon…

At the moment ive just been practising transitioning between these base patterns (most of which I cant do yet..) and its fun … see what cool stuff you can come up with mix in loads of stalls and wraps and stuff and things gets even cooler and more addictive…

Bear in mind that I think its easiest to do all of this in wall plane, but ive been attempting to mix in some stuff in the buzzsaw plane too, this helps if you want to turn around I think.

Sorry if this is not the most enlightening post, I just thought it should exist… anyone else got any cool 2 poi juggling moves?

weavesmiley juggle ubbloco

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Cool thread oli ubblol beerchug

I need to write a couple of patterns... as coleman said a 2 poi shower is really nice and you can do it from a split time reel or from a butterfly(from butterfly every catch change the rotational sense of the poi)also this can be done with a poi thrown in backcross(and I think all other toss juggling variations).
If you are working on 2 poi same time moves is pretty cool to turn with a double throw over your head (like 180° in toss juggling)...and another cool stuff that you can put into a throw routine is an anti-rotational throw(antispin throw I suppose) doing a kind of stall on the floor plane in front of you and give the poi a spin in the opposite direction when you throw them...I think that is really nice effect.

Last but not least: have you seen my contact poi italian style thread? I explain something that I call throttle, a kind of contact stuff with one poi, in these days I am, after months of hard work, doing it with two poi and I found that you can go into double throttle from a double wibble(but I cannot do it ... I'm working seriously on double wibble only from a little time) from a single wibble and sure you can go out this pattern and go back into double wibble or any other pattern you like... as soon as I can I should make a video of this pattern...

Enjoy!and give new ideas!!!

Acciaio devil

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i can do a 2 poi shower, but not with wibbles. and as far as i can remember i can do them all directions.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I do lots of the alternating under arm butterfly release stuff, which you can move to BTB releases to mix it up a bit- they also look good in split time, though I've not quite got there yet smile

I recently realised that you can, I *think* do continuous split time same direction releases (the ones where you release and catch with one wrist crossing the other). I can now do a cycle of three, and once thats properly tight I reckon I should be able to get a fourth and effectively make it perpetual.

Yay for 2 poi juggling- thanks for the thread Oli biggrin
EDITED_BY: Mr_Chutney (1156927670)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Damn where's Rossco when you need someone to go through throw/catch variations!! biggrin

I like to do the catch head/catch handle same direction move you mentioned Oli, it looks really nice with fully extended arms and is a great transition move too. I like it in outwards split time butterfly too but it vexes my brain and it's really hard to not cross planes and tangle as they go round unless you add one extra normal spun beats after the catch.
Just realised I've never tried the same time outward butterfly variation, if I remember I'll give it a go later smile

Would we be allowed to post passing variations in here or should that be a different thread?

ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I think at something like that <

Throttle with 2 poi in contact...

Download here

Acciaio devil

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
thanks for the replys, you can discuss what ever you want in here (with in raisons) dont let me put you off passing patterns sounds perfect smile

at chutney : it is definetly possible to do all throws continuosly (throwing each poi on every beat), im just kinda getting my head round that fact aswell... hence the thread. smile

acciaio - those anti style throws are lovely i know exactly what you mean, and i cant watch your video just yet as im using a mac, but next week i will try and look at it.

also on the subject of videos, i might make a few little clips aswell so you can see what im on about as half the stuff that im playing with i just do and ive no idea what happens ubbrollsmile

beerchug

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I'm waiting for your videos oli!

With a MAC you can see my video by using VLC(videolan-->make a search with google) and download this application ...it's pretty simple!!

cheers!

Acciaio devil

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Acciaio - your download link points me back to this thread. don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it the url.

I find contiuous 2 poi juggling doable in split time same direction. i can get a short run when using 1 hand for some reason. 2 hards use more brain power maybe...

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
tnx for the advice now it works!

Acciaio devil

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Thanks! that is controlled!

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
just managed to watch your video acciaco - very nice,peace im gonna go try and learn that now ubbrollsmile

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile
[Old link]
here I made a tutorial for this kind of moves!
smile

Acciaio devil

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
sorry acciaio i might be being a lil stupid here but do you need double weighted poi for this throttle trick cos mine seem to be flying everywhere when i try it?

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Yep I use duoble weighted poi!as the same...
beanbag in the head(135 gr) and a handle weghted with about 40gr...my poi are about 50 cm long...starting to do it with 2 is sooo difficoult try first with one!!! wink look at "Contact poi Italian Style(Throttle)" thread linked in my prev responde!
smile
Happy to see many people trying it!!! smile

Acciaio devil