thedykeonenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
im new to posting here, so hi everyone, and sorry for the boring content of this post!
im sure this has already been posted somewhere, and i have looked, but couldnt find it!
so......
i have just bought my first fire poi. a friend gave me brief instructions on how to 'break them in', but said to have a look on here for a better guide!
so can anyone tell me the best way to start using them, to help them last a bit longer, and so i can get the best out of them?

thanks

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Here's [Old link]

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

thedykeonenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
thanks

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
dip in paraffin for 10 minutes or so. then light. when finished re-dunk and leave to dry, then light next and time re-dip etc

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Any insights as to WHY all this dogma surrounding breaking in wicks is supposed to help in some way? I've heard all sorts of things, including soaking wicks for 24 hours before a first burn, storing wicks immersed in fuel, and using specific types of fuel for a first burn.

How does this actually make a difference to the life of the wick ? I understand the bit about smouldering at the end of a burn, however that's more a characteristic of an oily fuel than of the wicking material itself. My wicks do smoulder when I burn kerosene, but don't with white gas.

What's the point of soaking new wicks for more than a few minutes ? just how much more fuel do these things absorb after the bubbles have stopped coming out of them?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I reckon when they're 'smouldering' what you're actually seeing is parraffin vapour...

Cake or Death?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

Any insights as to WHY all this dogma surrounding breaking in wicks is supposed to help in some way? I've heard all sorts of things, including soaking wicks for 24 hours before a first burn, storing wicks immersed in fuel, and using specific types of fuel for a first burn.

How does this actually make a difference to the life of the wick ? I understand the bit about smouldering at the end of a burn, however that's more a characteristic of an oily fuel than of the wicking material itself. My wicks do smoulder when I burn kerosene, but don't with white gas.

What's the point of soaking new wicks for more than a few minutes ? just how much more fuel do these things absorb after the bubbles have stopped coming out of them?

im not sure why, but if they're not soaked the kevlar will be eaten if they burn for long. happened to me and my friend at PLAY, we didnt soak the fire poi we made (completely out of fire rope, most comfortable fire poi i've played with), and the wicks were monkeyfists so they burned for like 7-10 mins. when we ended the burn the rope was glowing red, we washed it and it was almost completely eaten at one part. so i guess it's important.

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poiboy

Written by: stout

im not sure why, but if they're not soaked the kevlar will be eaten if they burn for long. happened to me and my friend at PLAY, we didnt soak the fire poi we made (completely out of fire rope, most comfortable fire poi i've played with), and the wicks were monkeyfists so they burned for like 7-10 mins. when we ended the burn the rope was glowing red, we washed it and it was almost completely eaten at one part. so i guess it's important.

I suspect its along the same lines as if you get a pair of jeans, and wrap them into a tight ball, and dip them in water for 30-40 seconds or so they are still dry in the centre of the ball. The longer you leave them, the more throughly soaked they are, and so there won't be dry kevlar getting roasted.

Written by: *HyperLight

I reckon when they're 'smouldering' what you're actually seeing is parraffin vapour...

Surely if there is paraffin vapour, then said wicks would still be on fire?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
But surely if you leave your wicks immersed until the bubbles stop then your wicks are saturated right through. Mine sure are, I've even probed in amongst the folds of my cathedrals just to see.

The reason I'm curious about this is because I burn with white gas and at the end of a burn my wicks are bone dry ,which means that every time I light up, I'm effectively spinning with new wicks

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Stout, have you ever seen ballerinas break in new shoes? You want to talk weird new-toy dogma, you need to watch them go to town on new point shoes. I watched three ballerinas "break in" new shoes by smashing them on the stage, rubbing powder all over them, hitting them with a hammer, taking a lighter to them, dropping them. When asked what they were doing, they all said they had to do these steps in a particular order to properly ready the shoes.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Never used white gas so wouldn't know...I assume that if ALL the fuel is gone, it can't smoulder either, so there isn't a problem.

Using paraffin, the wicks are still slightly fueled when they go out, so there is the potential for smouldering, which I can see would damage the wicks.

So it all seems logical to me. I might be talking crap though...you never know.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: thedykeone

im sure this has already been posted somewhere, and i have looked, but couldnt find it!

AHA finally found [Old link] that I started ages ago.. knew it was here somewhere.. dunno why it didn't come up in a search called new wicks.. or maybe it did but on page million or something...

Enjoy yr spinning! hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Right, I've come back to this thread having experimented with the wicks on a brand new smile twirly staff of mine. I dunked the end in the paraffin and bubbles came, and went. However, looking back about 15-20 minutes later, bubbles were still coming out, but they were very slow. I came back to the wick about half an hour after that and shook it, and lots more bubles appeared (most of which were probably stuck under the wick, but there were more than you would thing would be stuck there).

Which, I suppose, means that the wick is still taking up paraffin, albeit in small amounts, almost an hour after dunking. I would continue the test for longer (I will do another test on my new cathedral fire poi) but I want to set fire to my staff sometime today and the other end still needs to soak.

so I will go and soak it now ubbrollsmile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
What is your staff made of? Does it have wooden dowels in the ends that could be soaking up parafin too?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
My staff is the HoP fire twirly stick, not the pixie stick but the other short one. While I'm sure it must have dowel to prevent the heat transfer, the ends are metal-capped and no dowel is visible... I suspect that the answer to your question, in terms of fuel soakage, is no smile

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
When i bought my first fire poi set the instructions with them said to soak them in fuel for twenty four hours. I'm impatient so i gave them half an hour in parafin and started to burn them immediatly. I've been burning them regularly for about a month now and i haven't had any problems with the wick.

Am i just lucky?

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'd say no... I think most of the reason people suggest soaking them for a long time is to give them a chance to soak up more fuel. Newer wicks won't absorb as much smile

Cake or Death?

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
No worries then. biggrin

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

silly_rillyBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
So for the first soak before you light 'em up, does it matter what fuel you use?
Does it have to be kero, or can you use white gas or lamp oil?