Forums > Social Chat > Ringsel: Buddhist Relics

Login/Join to Participate

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Came across this quite fascinating phenomenon. Even though I agree with a lot of its teaching, I am not a follower of Buddhism but I still think this is something interesting to share with my fellow HoPpers.

Often when Master Buddhists passed away and their remains cremated, pearl-like beads known as "Ringsels" are found amongst the ashes. There are currently no scientific explanations to why such phenomenon occurs and it is believed that these beautiful relics embodies the positive spiritual quality of the deceased masters.

https://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=65,2412,0,0,1,0
https://www.kathokgonpa.ca/RelicTour.htm
https://www.maitreyaproject.org
https://www.maitreyaproject.org/en/relic_gallery.html

A collection of Buddhist Ringsels Relic is currently on a round the world tour. Anyone seen or heard of this?

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Look like kidney stones to me wink

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Look like kidney stones to me wink

For a bunch of vegetarians who don't drink, their kidneys must be quite messed up to have stones that big! LOL!
EDITED_BY: Lowan (1156414571)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
sounds weird to me and I am a Buddhist. Even if this ain't a hoax, I still wouldn't go with any explanation like embodiment of the spiritual quality or anything likewise, but look for a simple scientific explanation.

Anyhow, we can't determine anything by just looking at pictures and guessing, for more information we would need the actual "beads" and more information on them. As we don't have them, I'd leave it at that.

And: Buddhism is also about letting go and detaching from the material world. So it would be rather illogical for "Buddhist masters" to try to cling to this world and for Buddhists to worship material things or "the Masters" instead of pursuing the Buddhistic idea as such. So actually the beads ain't even important.

But of couse this view could be just typical for my branch of Buddhism, and maybe Buddhists from other branches will tell you something else.

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK so how's yr religious history?

Tibetan Buddhism (where these relics come from) is a bit like the Roman Catholicism of Buddhism... elaborate ritual and robes, heirarchical priesthoods, veneration of living individuals, bells and smells etc.

Now you may remember that one of the triggers of the Reformation (the start of Protestantism) in Christianity was objections to trading in/veneration of relics...

It was very strange to me during my 7 years in Tibetan Buddhism (in the same 'order' that this tour comes from) to see Westerners who would roundly reject such business in their own culture, taking on stuff like this as part of the 'exotic Buddhist package'

One of these relics is from Lama Thubten Yeshe.. who I knew when he was alive.

He was not particularly interested in us adopting what he freely called 'superstition' but was very interested in us leading intelligent, joyful, free and ethical lives...

SO I took up poi... wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
I'd absolutely agree with Gabe.

I'm from the FWBO, which might be compared to a Protestant movement in Buddhism (following your analogies). The basic idea is that Buddhism in Western societies will definitely be different from Buddhism in Tibet or the Asian region in general, because the social structures, the culture, the habits, the language, etc. are just different. So instead of adopting Zen or Tibetian Buddhism on a one-to-one basis, the FWBO approach is more about how to integrate Buddhism in YOUR everyday life. There is not much about "relics" in the FWBO, the members of the order are dressed in regular clothes, and we are working with rather flat hierarchies.

And yes, it is exactly what you said:

Written by: newgabe

leading intelligent, joyful, free and ethical lives...

which is one of the reasons why I took up poi, too biggrin

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006