MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
So, I think I have a stomach ulcer. Haven't been to a doctor yet. I was curious if anyone had any information about how to deal with this with as little doctor interaction as possible. I got no med insurance or anything. How long can ulcers go untreated before they become serious? Im also scheduled to go to Burning Man on Saturday so I wanna make sure I dont get hurt with this thing. I really hope this doesnt limit my fun.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Ouch, hopefully some of the HOP Docs can post some good info, but here is my 2cents. Try not to stress out too much, eat PH neutral or slightly basic foods. Avoid acidic and or spicy (really basic) foods. Avoid alcohol. Drink plenty of water.

Why do you think it's an ulcer? I assume you havn't sen a doc yet? The pain isn't in your lower stomach area (below your belt) is it.

Take care
Cody

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I read the symptoms and it sounds exactly like what I got. The pain is high in my stomache... Dull gnarly pain. I dont think Im gonna be able to avoid alcohol too well at Burning Man. Im also gonna need to breathe fire which Im sure wont help at all (Im kinda thinkin that might be how I got it in the first place).

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
there's tons of things that can hurt the stomach, including stress. I would recommend seeing a doctor, but I can see how that's not easy without insurance... don't know enough about the US to even guess at how expensive that would be.

Common sense says: If you insist on not seeing a doctor and/or firebreathing at least give your stomach a rest, eat easy-to-digest stuff and leave out any tobacco and alcohol and make sure you get enough sleep. The fact that you point some of these things out means you know they're problematic, so try and be nice to yourself, cause if you should need a doctor in emergency it's going to be even more expensive!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Hey Icon I get these every now and then.

Make sure you see a doctor.... trust me untreaded they will get ALOT worse then it is now. ... I left mine for 3-4 days thinking it would just go away.

Ended up not being able to sollow or eat anything for about 1 week. Lost ALOT of weight and was quite sick through the duration.

Went to the doctors he gave me some good feeling pills and within 3 days I was back to normal.

Trust me you don't want to put it off that is if you have a stomach ulcer wink

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah... The main problem with this is just that Im going to be spending 10 days in the desert starting 3am Saturday where mass chaos will ensue. After talking with Lightning, Im gonna go get some antacids which will hopefully get me through the next two weeks when I can really get treated.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Hey Icon, sorry to hear about this. I just wanted to say that in addition to the advice already posted, really pay attention to how your stomach's feeling when you're out there and don't push too hard. I know you're young and all but still. I like me my whiskey and wine off-playa, but at BM I don't drink at all. So coming from a drinker, it's easy to not drink at BM.

I'm guessing you're doing fire breathing in Conclave or some other performance? I doubt anyone would hold it against you if you didn't do it because of your symptoms. It's not like you don't have other fire skills to offer. I know you probably really want to and don't want to bail and all but if you think breathing fire is what caused it I don't see how doing it some more is a good idea.

I don't want to harsh your buzz or sound like your mommy or anything, but temporary pleasures are really not worth messing up your health. Just be careful. I like you and would hate to see you do long-term damage to yourself.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Is firebreathing with a stomach condition worth it?

Many ulcers here are caused by a bacterial infection, H pylori ,and are treatable with a course of antibiotics.

HOPtechno page about ulcers

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yo've probably already gone to BM.. and I don;t at all mind sounding like your mummy...
You don't have to avoid either alcohol or firebreathing. Just don't do them yourself.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If I remember correctly, that bacteria is always present in your stomach mucosal lining. It is opportunistic, and that opportunity comes from a decrease in blood flow to your stomach. That decrease can come from Stress. Since your probably too young to have other vascular issues that can attribute to a blood flow decrease to your stomach, stress is the main culprit. Antibiotics can do more harm than good sometimes. IMO take the antacids like Lightning told you and do everything you can to reduce your stress and general activities. I know that may be next to impossible heading out to the playa, but you may need a few early nights and some good sleep early in the week as not to ruin the climax. You need to allocate as much of your blood to your stomach so it can heal, exercise and stress focus the blood to your muscles and brain, starving your stomach.

Chill man chill. cool

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I see you've allready spoken to Doc but anyway as I have experience with both (BM and stomach ulcer but not at same time):
First of all: You don't easily get stomach ulcers unless you're very (very) stressed, drink too much alcohol and are above a certain age (at least in your thirties). It's more likely to be a stomach infection but if left untreated, that could lead to a stomach ulcer. As already mentioned above, stay clear from acids. No citrus fruit or their juices. No chewing gum, honest. The chewing causes the stomach to produce acids but if no food comes then the acids start working on the stomach wall!
There is medication to take but you'll need a prescription.

Most importantly: Have a wicked time at BM!!!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I can recommend safe general herbal and natural remedies, that would be helpful regardless is the source of the pain is ulcer or not- at least temporarily until you can get a solid diagnoses and treatment plan. Most of them are reasonably accessible ... The first off the top of my mind are a tea of slippery elm- for burning man you may need to buy tablets and chew them if making tea is a difficult- and some good heat stable acidophilous bacteria. Chewable deglyzzirided sp? licorice tablets could also be helpful.

If you knew it was an ulcer, there are specific herbal formulations for that, both soothing and antibacterial components along with dietary changes to help rebalance the digestive system.. But I would not begin those until you have a diagnoses.

PM me for details if you want, or go to your local natural health store, and find someone on staff who is qualified to make recommendations. Most stores have at least one or two people with some pretty solid herbal and nutritional education. It is worth asking if you can not afford the usual medical system.

Good luck!Do take care of yourself, ditto what everyone else said re drinking et al!
~A

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
*bump*
i gave birth to an ulcer smile
anyway...they are taking a conservative approach and treating it with prevacid, and not antibiotics because i have no insurance, and can't afford them unless it's necessary
i read a bunch stuff online, some say cayenne is good in tiny doses, or lime juice...everything appears to contradict each other...75% are caused by bacteria, i read, but i have always been "special"
i gag on bananas and cabbage
does anyone have any remedies, i thought chamomile and peppermint teas, seperate...the peppermint is supposed to have some antibacterial properties...
does this include prepackaged teas or just putting leaves in your hot water
help please
is there anything else i could ingest that naturally has antibacterial properties, like cranberry joice
essentially i hurt and don't want to

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

3,556 posts

Posted:
well i guess nevermind frown

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Oh, nobody came to your help. Sorry, only read this now.

Uhm, I'm a bit surprised at the lime juice helping as it's acid. I'd think that would be a nono.

Peppermint tea is always good for stomach aches as is chamomile. Oh, sweety, I hope you get better soon. You've had this for a while now. I know how painful it is. All the best to you hug.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

3,556 posts

Posted:
the prevacid and peppermint tea seems to help, i won't know for another couple of weeks or so if it healed

thank you for hug

today not a good stomach day
*makes some chamomile tea*

Faith

Curly_SueSILVER Member
laughter is the way to get through life
179 posts

Posted:
If your pain is off to one side it could be a pendicitis (very serious) I would go and see a doc just to be sure Oh and come over to the UK it won't cost you a thing to see a doc. hehe

I fell down a hill once, got up then fell down it again.

3,556 posts

Posted:
no it's an ulcer

Faith

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
hrm, i'm sure i'd have all sorts of useful information in the biology unit im doing at the moment on microbiology, unfortunately its all on the uni site and isnt available to the the public, interesting stuff though.

hope you get better for burning man!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

3,556 posts

Posted:
doing well enough wink
still hurt a bit now and then
and the bf started at applebees and i can't eat most of the good food
grrr
(i'm so sick of peppermint tea)
burning man! are you paying smile bounce

Faith