Forums > Social Chat > (Bad) Poi performance in Rose Of Tralee competition

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Argh! NOOOOO!!!!

Was watching family guy last night on DVD and while changing discs saw a brief glimpse of the Rose Of Tralee competition on RTE.
Think of the "lovely girls competition" from Father Ted and you'll get the idea.

The contestant on at the time was called Emma Coffey from New Zealand, and wonder of wonders, she anounced that she was going to do a POI performance! yay! biggrin

I a had to pick up my jaw from the floor and scramble over to the couch in anticipation.......and......oh dear god no....... eek

Where I had been hoping to see some traditonal style poi of the Maori style (short strings, lots of wraps and rebounds) she pulls out a set of glowpoi about a meter long and procedes to do one of the most haggard ass poi routines it has ever been my misfortune too see.

I had to turn my back to the television only to see my fiance nearly crying with laughter, the whole routine consisted of (sloppy) butterfly to (sloppy) forward weave to (sloppy) butterfly to (sloppy) forward weave and so on.

And to top it all off it was done with a horrible dance version of Shakira's "hips don't lie" as the studio audience clapped along. Cheeese-O-rama.

This is the type of thing that makes people not want to hire us as performers, never mind exploding fuel or slippy floors, just really bad examples of the art done in a very public arena. angry

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i was watching family guy last night too biggrin

it does indeed suck that there was crap poi on tv - but at least it was on rte where no-one will ever see it... wink tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
post links for the video, i wanna see this ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I read about the Rose of Tralee in the Limerick paper on Friday and thought it looked a bit funny ubblol

Sounds a bit like the Indian girl in the "little Miss Springfield" competition and her tabla performance wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
All right then Ravehead,
heres the link, its a weird streaming thingy tho so don't try to fast forward through it though cos it seems to freeze. RTE Rose of Tralee site

Click on the link for Emma Coffey sixth down on the list,
and Coleman, you would quite possibly not believe how many people watch this damned thing.

My mother saw it and even she said it was pretty pathetic! ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thanks for the link...I think...

Oh the shame frown redface

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Never mind poor Emma, how seriously lame is the compere!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol i'm not that good at poi but i know more tricks than that ubblol and yes it was sloppy

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Holy hell...

*cringe*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
is there a non-realplayer version of this?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yes, Emma is a non-real player...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i've got audio, but no video

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Oh dear god that was cringe worthy, but I certainly wish I go that kind of response when I did a 2 beat weave wink ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im with Firenice here,

I have only audio, and i tried 3 different players: VLC, Media player classic with the alternative real player codec, and one called Ambulant frown

None worked.

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fireNice

i've got audio, but no video

I got that to.

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
i had video too, but then it whent all pooey and now i can only hear it....who wants to hear a bad performance? ubblol

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Geri Halliwell fans...?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ANY spice girls solo fans wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Can anyone redo the video in a different format or get another one. I wanna see it.

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hmmmm. There's 2 options. Download RealPlayer (you can always deinstall it straight away), or not bother so much when all it really is is a bad performance wink

In all fairness, from what I know about beauty competitions (which isn't much), most performances there aren't professional. Singers are ok, but usually not brilliant, as are dancers, belly-dancers, musicians, magicians, you name it! So if she wasn't good, that's not that much of a big deal though someone could've told her before. But maybe she just can't really perform anything else any better (and now leave the poor girl alone ubblol)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
OK, just watched it. Pretty sloppy, agreed. I'd be interested to know how long she's been doing it for.... looks like about 2 weeks to me.

Still, everyone has to start somewhere, god knows I was doing that EXACT same routine a week after I started! ubblol

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh lord, I wish I hadnt have sat through that now. Whats worse was the 8 or 9 minutes of boring chit chat befor hand.

It looked like her batterys had nearly run out as well you could ahrdly see them even when they turned down the lights.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Yeah, maybe,
but would you really want to show the world how seriously unskilled you are at your new hobby?

It's like trying to impress someone with a piece of "hand thrown Pottery" that looks like it came out of a dog (pick whichever end disturbs you most) ubblol

Why not do something nice like recite poetry? A moment of stillness in a world going by too fast......

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Meh, the only thing that impresses the irish poetry wise would be a dirty limerick

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I disagree, Joe! My Irishboy likes Chaucer smile But I don't know about the average RTE viewer...

Squarefish, *I* wouldn't have done poi in a beauty competition at the 2 weeks stage (even if I had entered in one, which is unlikely to ever happen). But then look at all the people who can't sing and go on Pop Idol, or who can't even do 2 weeks worth of poi and go on Big Brother instead... I'm just saying it's nothing unusual that someone with very limited scope or talent thinks it's a good idea to go public with it smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
no comment confused

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
quote from her profile:

Emma is an accomplished Irish Dancer – in the Top Five in New Zealand – and she has danced professionally here in Ireland. Kick boxing, indoor netball, touch rugby, reading and theatre are important outlets for Emma. A student of the violin from the age of 7 Emma describes music as “a huge part of my life”.

So for the love of god why poi??????

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

or who can't even do 2 weeks worth of poi and go on Big Brother instead....

am i getting the wrong end of the stick with this??????

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hahahahahaha!!! I hadn't read her profile, but maybe she's lying wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
For all those wondering how many actually watch the show, here are the numbers:

"TV audiences were down slightly on last year at 573,000, but the figure gives the lie to all those people who swear blind they don't watch the contest."

This doesn't include the people overseas who would be watching because their local lovely lass was in the competition!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Jikes... Link to Rose of Tralee list The performance starts after 7 minutes of introduction...

IMHO all of you experts should go ahead and try this one day. Please do not forget to post your video or link to it here on HoP...

Thumbs up for Emma, who was performing in front of a MASSIVE crowd AND TV-broadcast with two tiny little glowball poi on a HUGE stage in a COCKTAIL DRESS (and lord knows what kind of shoes)... Most likely she was so nervous, that anything beyond butterfly and 2 beat wave would have resulted in serious bashing of balls-on-head...

She wanted to do something traditional, something that represented her country, she chose Poi (what else?) and maybe was bold enough to perform with something she in fact didn't know...

But go ahead, pick on her - just never let me catch you on video doing stupid stuff wink ubbangel
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1156517965)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: