Page:
teen4christ777newbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Bible, preferably the kind with side notes or little studies…. I walked into the store the other day and was overwhelmed at the amount! Let me know what you are reading… Thanks!

iansmithmember
90 posts

Posted:
Try going into a second hand bookshop and finding an old one. I got one which is about forty years old, I find it to be a better read than modern revisions - the language is more poetic. I'm not a christian myself, but I do have more than a passing interest in theology.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Patriarch917 could probably help you wink

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If you can read Aramaic the original Aramaic text would be preferrable to the King James version!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Totally, the guys who translated the King James version had some very strong predjudices, and so knowingly mistranslated certain sections to fit in with their world view.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I just hope this isn't gonna turn into an anti-religion tirade as this is just merely a valid question! (besides there's already a thread for that!)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
*smacks dave over the head with a bible*

I'm bored frown

offtopic

La la laaaa...

Thats the joy with social chat, you can take threads off topic without hassle biggrin

bounce

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. from the weight of that I'd say that is either a 15th century leatherbound copy or the 'Illustrated Children's Bible'

*THUD*

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Dave, its me... Its got to be illustrated, haven't got a grasp of those words yet! frown

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
you could always opt for the dvd box set of the bible biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ubblol Ahhhh so modern day biggrin

For some reason I managed to see the word sex in your sentence Jo, so was like eek wow ... but after seeing the DVD was rated 12, I put my debit card away, and decided not to purchase...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
there's no way a bible dvd can be rated 12! you read the adult content of that thing! eek

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive been thinking about getting a bible for a while. I think the only one my parents have is one of those horrible looking ones from the 70's bound in some tacky looking white imitation leather (ew!)

Infact I want to reasd the Torah too so I can compare the Old Testament with it for fun.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

there's no way a bible dvd can be rated 12! you read the adult content of that thing! eek

Yeah but unfortunatly the church filmed it to look as lame as possible so younger people wont be fightend by it. Do they not realise that thanks to this, and people like
Non-Https Image Link
, being a christian makes you a
Non-Https Image Link

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
RSV or NIV.

First is the translation done from the oldest available texts by language experts. Second is almost the same but rewritten to comply more closely with dogma.

I've got an NIV Study Bible, which is accepted by many Evangelicals, and I consider the main text (not the footnotes) an acceptable translation, despite the Christian influence on what passes for my religion being entirely gnostic.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I should probably point out I've also got the Koran, Hindu Vedas, Tao Te Ching and few books on Buddhism and a few of those books the Hare Krishna's hand out on my bookshelf too.

Stuff it. You all know I'm nuts biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I'm absolutely dumbfounded that somebody, on their very first post on a firespinning messageboard, asks for bible recomendations. Is this the reason we registered in the first place? But good on yer, if you really want to.

Personally, I'm fond of the Anarchist Bible. Of course, I would also be negligent in my duties as a Pirate if I didn't also recomend the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. linky-poo

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
get a really old one cause there would be a good chance there is more in it than the newerkind

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
got a bit sick of the bible here, hows about some direction into Hindu mythology/legends?

RE at school was so narrow minded frown

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
If you are looking for a nice bible, to actually READ the whole thing...

Try "The Message".

Its the bible written in day to day language. My sister (youth pastor) recommends it. Also good is the Study Bible (NIV) version. Has lots of interesting side notes.

*shrug* and does it really matter what people do with their first post?

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Lunadogmember
62 posts

Posted:
I'm writing one in text speak:

IN BEGGNG GD CR8TD HVNS N RTH LOLZZZ!!!!!11111!!!!!!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
and God said to Adam and Eve...

Pwn3d!11!!!1

lol

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lunadog

What on earth does that mean umm

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
NIV (New International Version) is generally accepted to be one of the most readable versions available, though as Flynt says, The Message, with its modern language, offers a different and interesting angle.

I think the NIV Life Application Bible is meant to be good for plenty of additional information and notes. Or you could just get a standard Bible and then buy daily study notes. They usually run for 2 or 3 months, and cover several different topics or themes during that time. There are loads of different ones out there so you can choose one with a style that'll suit you and what you're looking for.

I think Lunadog's TextBible (TxtBbl?) translates as 'in the beginning God created the heavens and earth'. The last bit is beyond me though!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Written by: Lunadog

What on earth does that mean umm

Aimee, if you were young, hip and cool like ME you would know it means "in beginning god created heavens and earth LOLZZZZ!!!1111!!!"
rolleyes

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I've always wondered what Pwn3d!11!!!1 means, can someone enlighten me

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I prefer the Brick Testament Version:

The Brick Testament

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Wikipedia

Clicky clicky

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Will, pwned means OWNED. smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
thats crap!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
no, it's l33+

rolleyes

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Page:

HOP Newsletter