Forums > Social Chat > Poll-"we can control fire?"

Login/Join to Participate

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Malcolm,When i clicked on the hyperlink to vote I was just returned to the homepage of the site in a new window, there was no voting thing, did I miss something?Though I am not of the wiccan or shamenistic (hope I spelled that right) faith- I believe that you cannot control fire because fire is one on the four elements of life.Fire can be manipulated to suit our needs at times, but I believe that control implies a certain level of ownership and no one can own fire.Any one can build a fire, or spin poi, but the nature of fire is something that cannot know control, and although I do not spin fire, I think that the spinner knows this at heart- (perhaps that is part of the thrill) you must have respect for the fire for in its beauty it is also very dangerous.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Malcolm, you have opened a can of worms this time smileI think fire can be controlled, in that limitation of its manipulation is a result of a limitation in your mind, not some inherent nature of the fire.Fire is just like any other potentially hazardous substance...treat it with respect in the appropriate conditions, and there is no risk. The only substantial risk is simple human error.Therefore Fire *can* be controlled. Whether or not it *is* controlled to a sufficent degree, is another question smileJosh-Dons suitably fire retardant suit in leu of the flames to come smile

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Thanks a bunch Malcolm found it without a problem this time.N8

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
How big a fire?I can control a match OK and even, sometimes my fire poi wink.A fire engine can control a moderate house fire (well, usually)With a bit of luck, the county fire service, some helicopters, a sizeable chunk of the army, hundreds of volunteers, lots of water and foam can just about control a large forest fire.But then...does the sun count as the daddy of all fires 'cos I think that pretty much does it's own thing?Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
one person can control a forest fire...the F#cker that lit it. They have total control over it's existance.(ok ok some forest fires start naturally, but its a lot rarer - and usually less dangerous..)Josh

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
I think we can "control" fire. We know its dangers and we take what steps we can to prevent it from going out of control. However fire is a bit unpredictable and the second we lose respect for it it will bite us, or should I say burn, in the butt.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire