CynnelSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
As a poi novice and an educator, I am very interested in any info (including personal theory) folks might have about the nature of learning moves in poi. I am constantly amazed at my own learning process and I wonder what others have to say about it.
For example: I learn a new move on Tuesday nite, where I struggle and bash myself a million times, trying not to get frustrated when I see another classmate catch on effortlessly. So I go home, sleep and the next morning I get out my poi and find that after a few tries, I can do the new move. Amazing...
Also any thoughts about right brain/left brain crossover, etc. would be great. It is all fascinating to me.
Thanks-Cynnel

**I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.**

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hi there!

There should be a thread on here about "muscle memory" and poi/staff.

edit: [Old link], and [Old link]

Try doing a search, and you'll probably find dozens of threads about how different people on here have learned poi smile Good luck!
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1155680405)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

CynnelSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks-seems like a lot of people have the same experience as I do. Cool.

**I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.**

Fire_Ferretnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hey there smile

The short version is that as soon as you stop doing an action it does not mean that your brain stops. As you learn new things your brain sets up new neural pathways and when you sleep or take a break the pathways continue to strengthen, and they also strengthen with practice. The reason that you can't do the move is because your body has never moved like that before so it is leaning a totally new process.

Your brain learn things better when you are asleep. You will find that you will learn things more quickly that you enjoy, this isn't just becuase you enjoy it but your brain recognises it as important (remaining from survival techniques)

So the best thing to do when you are getting frustrated with a new move is to stop and take a break or even a nap.

hope that helps a bit smile

Ferret

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
That's helped me, thankyou. I normally keep going at something, and dont bother taking a break. I think I will when I start getting frustrated with my poi.

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.