iansmithmember
90 posts

Posted:
Back in the late 80's I was watching Paul Daniel's Magic Show on BBC1 when he brought on a speciality act. A Chinese girl ran on stage with two sticks, which had ribbons or streamers on the ends of them. She then did a poi-type routine, swirling them in every direction. It was fantastic. The crowd was amazed, nobody in Britain had seen this kind of stuff before. But she hadn't even started! She then proceeded to do acrobatic and gymnastic stunts, those ribbons still flailing around beautifully. What I want to know - do any modern day performers use the same prop? I'd really like to see that again.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
yup! smile

Not me though, but there is still quite a bit of it about. ubbrollsmile

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
that's impressive, but i think it would be more fun on fire!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: idancelikeatwatme

that's impressive, but i think it would be more fun on fire!

Would that be like double fire whip then?

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I believe you can purchase a 3.75 metre ribbon on a stick from https://www.poipoi.info/shop/index.php?crn=1&rn=295&action=show_detail

I don't know how to hyperlink properly, so you'll have to copy and paste...my apologies. It would look wicked in UV pink, under UV, methinks cool

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine tried to make a fire one once, but it didn't really go. The entire effect was completly lost because the ribbon is usually extremely light weight, and anything that light to create the same feel (ie. not like a whip) would burn out under five seconds.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I guess the ribbon needs to be floaty and light so the norm in wicking wouldn't really work frown

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
We now have ribbons in the HOP shop also, all the HOP staff have been kept entertained with the awesome twirly effects that these ribbons can produce....... smile ubbrollsmile smile lotsa fun......

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/292_45_Twirling

Happy twirling
Chris
juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I won a ribbon stick at timezone. The handle even lights up. But be careful, if the ribbon's too long, you can't do much with it, as it gets tangled easily.

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
ok, bit of a bump to this thread, but...

my boyfrend recently bought me a twirling ribbon.

i've been playing about a little bit with it, but generally have no idea what tricks/patterns can be done with it. Any Suggestions?

oO_Hell_Fire_Oonewbie
12 posts

Posted:
In France you can do GRS (rythmic gymnastics) and you can use one or more ribbons. You have a sort of stunt routine that you have to accomplish with them... It's really pretty to watch, real hard to learn too... Your description looks pretty much like this cool sport wink Thanks for sharing this cool experience tongue