Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Just wondering if any of you lot have taken any leaps of faith, any chances in life, anything that has or would have changed your life, for better or worse.

I'm asking because I'm planning to, but more on that later smile wink ubbrollsmile ubblove ubblove ubblove

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i went to work in a hotel for a snowboard season once.

before i went, i had never worked in the service sector, i didn't know anyone else that i would be working/living with and i didn't know how to snowboard.

that could have gone quite badly all things considered...

but it was absolutely, totally fantastic - probably the best 'risky decision' i've ever made biggrin

and now of course i'm completely addicted to snow and hills but live in the middle of london, where i spend my time thinking about where i'm going to get the money from to get back up the mountains this winter... wink

good luck with deciding on yours tink hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
oh I've decided all right, just gotta make my "move" - (as in escape, runaway lol) biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Like you I may be about to as well...

Might involve re-evaluating certain personal principles and putting some long-term plans on hold but may be worth it in the long run...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile

you would do well to send a pm to princess hels bells by the sound of things miss tink... biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've never really been one for leaps of Faith because for a very long time I had no or little faith in anything, including myself.

Things for me in the last few months have changed drastically and I'm now about to sell up my house, buy a boat(once we have found the right one) and move into it with Jon, in a new city. Huge leaps of faith in many ways for me. It's scary, exciting and panic making at times, but I feel, deep down inside, that its the right thing to do.

I guess that's the real deciding factor. Gut reaction. Does it feel the right thing to do, even though it scares you.

Good luck in your leap hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i'm seriously considering a move to new zealand early next year. There's a very big need for people to work in the sheet metal industry over there, so i think i may move there to see if the job prospects are any better than over here.
my brother' best friends from school are already over there and they started up thier own kitchen company, and my cousin is moving there as a mechanic in the coming months, so it isn't as if i won't know anybody out there, just very few people is all!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Um, I'll confess i'm quite terrible at leaps of faith. far too much self-doubt!

I have gone abroad without booking accomodation a few times, but it's not really that hard to find somewhere to stay in most places i've been to (except one time in Amsterdam - always book in advance in the summer!)

Also decided to get out of some relationships that were going nowhere and not doing me a great deal of good, that took more guts cos I never wanted to hurt anyone and wasn't sure if i was doing the right thing or not.

I would love to take more risks and be more spontaneous, but it's just not happening for me right now.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I took one huge leap of faith 7 years ago, it went against every thing i had been made to believe and was one of the scarest things i have done and think i know where your coming from Missy hug
the end result was so much better than the situation was and i have never looked back or regreted it. hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

PerrafordeBRONZE Member
Its Wet and Cold
120 posts

Posted:
Well said Spanner! I couldn't agree more.

It took alot of thinking when i decided to leave NZ to travel the world, as this was my first time out of NZ and i was doing it on my own, it was a hard decision. 6years on I'm living in Scotland with my Scottish fiance and loving every minute.

Like Cole, i also went and did a ski season in a hotel as a cook, never having cooked before, was a huge success.

Tinkle - I wish you luck with whatever your decision maybe wink
EDITED_BY: Perraforde (1155646383)

Oh Slothy. I may have been bad. I may have kept you chained up in that room but it was for your own good

Either I have a monster in my kitchen or I'm completely crazy

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Whether I've made a leap of faith is neither here nor there Tink, you need to go for it babe smile take a deep breath and dive right in! This is your chance, you gotta grab it smile hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I guess, I'll be taking a leap of faith because I have to. I need to find a job, and I'm just a little bit terrified. If I was to be super brave (and lucky), I'd get one in Manchester. But first things first; I need to get into the swing of things down in London to start off help meditate smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
3 years ago i did

moved 100 miles from friends and family alone, lived in a refuge for a year and stuck it out through bad and worse to get where i am now.
was best decision ive ever made.

good luck to you hun

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I leap all the time,quite radical moves, really, but with faith? Er, no.No faith, but a lot of curiousity to compensate. wink

I leap for the fresh taste of leaping! I consider all the options, check in with my heart, and then just go for it. Faith or not, do it anyways, and enjoy the experience! If things dont work out as hoped,dont dwell on it-- take some time to recover, make a new decision, adjust and leap again...

Good luck!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I've made decisions to take them and then sometimes I made decisions not too. The ones that I have problems with the most are the onces that I decided NOT to do. Playing "what if" is the pits.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
I've found that most of the time its better to regret doing something than NOT doing it.

Good luck! hug

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Unless involves death, injury or Dale Winton....

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
you and dale winton huh? big mistake was it? lol

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
ive made many leaps of faith

i went to a uni i knew nothing about, and ended up in a place where there was an amazin scene and free partys in the woods behind the uni

i ended up living in a squat and made some of the most important friends i have

some ppl may say ive risked my health and sanity but ive ended up learnin more about this world than people who r 2/3 times my age

i have never regretted any leap of faith ive made wave

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I had a dream about putting on a festival for manipulators, musicians and performers. I think we all know how that turned out ubblove

Go for it Tink!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
Neon, hence MOST of the time!! ubblol

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of signing up to do a reiki course, if I do then that'll be sort of a leap of faith, self doubt is telling me that it might not work, or if it does work I probably won't be able to do it very well, it'll be a waste of money and i'll regret it e.t.c.

In my heart I believe in many things, including the possibilities of reiki/energy healing, but my stupid brain always requires the 'proof'.

But like everyone's saying, better to regret something I have done rather than something i never got round to doing because of silly self-doubt... might turn out to be the best thing I've done for a while.

Hmmm. This thread is inspiring me, might have to book onto that course! Might have to revive the reiki thread also for further discussions. thanks people. hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
just do it, don't dwell on regrets, or what ifs...?, there's much more enjoyment to be had if you just get on and do it, whatever, and leaping becomes as easy as walking. That's not to say there'd be no problems, but life's boring without challenges anyway...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I'm currently in the process of taking stock and figuring out if what will bring stability to my life will bring me happiness..

I've got some big changes planned - going back to finish uni next year, changing jobs, and altering my lifestyle.. I'm going to stop wasting my money on riotous living and start saving dammit... I want to go overseas before I die!

Thanks for sharing your stories guys, you've made me feel like this is a positive step, more than just a step away from the negativity that I've managed to build into my life.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Last night, in a Star Wars table top roleplaying game, I (playing a Republic Soldier named "Ann Coulter") took the severed arm of an enemy I had recently dispatched. This arm had a large sword (formed from the "living metal" of the creature's armor") attached to it.

As I progressed down the corridor, the space station shuddered as another giant worm/spacecraft sunk it's teeth into the side of our station and let loose a boarding party of about 20 alien adversaries.

Raising the severed arm-sword above my head, I let loose a mighty battle cry (something about my Blitzkrieg striking from above) and charged them, solo.

Sadly, the dice did not fall as well as I could have wished.

I hope that your next leap of faith turns out better than my last one.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
To me, leaps of faith are those moments when we are called to be who we truly are. 3 for me:

1) moving to San Francisco with $1,000 and no job lined up. This was in 1991 so back then this sum equaled 2 months of rent with food or 3 months of rent with no food. I went to a lot of art openings and ate a lot of cheese.

2) going to Burning Man for the first time with someone I barely knew. That person is now one of my best friends, and I doubt I'd be here making this post now, or have some of the friends I have now, if I hadn't gone.

3) mounting my first solo performance...it's coming up at the end of October and I'm still veering from feeling like I have a handle on it to feeling like I have no clue what I'm doing and who the hell do I think I am anyway? I guess you could say I'm still mid-leap on this one and don't know how I'll land.

Best of luck to you Tinklepants. Remember the secret to flying is forgetting that you're falling.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
It's only when we take a chance, follow our hearts that we learn, if it goes wrong we know to do it differently, and wrong or right it makes us into richer, stronger, more beautiful people, besides, what is life without adventure?

I love you all my Brothers and Sisters of the Great tribe of humankind... hehehe, the Druid has spoken wink peace

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I recently made a huge leap of faith.. or at least, a leap into the unknown for me...

I met a girl at a certain festival for manipulators, musicians and performers wink and after having such a lovely time with her, I went off to the mainland to spend time with her, not knowing her too well, and not sure on what the outcome of my trip would be...

Well, Now we are so in love redface and have been travelling around performing and teaching together, and generally having the time of our lives...

I left a nice secure job in a hospital to go to uni, even though I was scared as hell... I didn't even plan where I was gonna go properly, nor did I know anybody there at all...

Since leaving my job, the hospital has closed down, so I escaped being made redundant to become a student again, and am having the time of my life...

You'll be fine, Tink... Things always work out good in the end...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Love is the God that makes humans feel the bravest they ever can, it can sting like a scorpion, it can tear us apart, but ooohhhhh can it be both the warm air that lifts our wings and the soft downy mattress we fall onto. Even the love of an ending can be as sweet as a first kiss, when you truly feel happy for the time you have spent with someone, no matter how brief, no matter how it forms itself, from a life long marriage to a gaze shared between strangers, love, not the loss of love, is what powers the soul, is all that matters. It was so recent that I lost faith in love, so recent the wound is still sore to think about it, then someone came along and made me smile again. To her I am eternally grateful hug

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
sunbird, i love how poetic you are honey x x

so yesterday i took that leap. I left inverness practically shaking with anxiety, guilt, realisation i broke someones heart tho they broke mine along with my spirit years ago. I had my doubts, but i kept my promise to sunbird and moved my life to edinburgh. It was a hellish train ride, but a comforting hug greeted me at the station. getting somewhere to stay was a hassle but i've stuck thru it.

Was also a bit of a pain taking the kids along for a burn in the meadows at dusk but hey, we just arrived, we're allowed to push ourselves til we ache!

faith and hope go hand in hand, but for me, it wasn't hope that got me thru the day it was faith. Faith in myself and faith in love.

Now, who wants a sparkler?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Huge love to you! Following your heart, so brave, so beautiful!
and LTC- so happy for you too! I thought you two were perfect from day one.

Oh, love is in the air these days.
much happiness

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Page: