Forums > Videos > Sphercular Vision Dvd Discussion ~ NOW With Video Previews

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
UPDATE__________________________

The new site is up and running and there's video and picture previews of the dvd:

The new spherculism site

The Sphercular Vision Promo Page

Sphercular Vision Free sample video clips

Well it's finally finally finished and you can buy it here on hop.

This is the official feedback thread.

The dvd took me a massive ammount of time to produce. About 2 years of planning and getting myself into a position to make it, then 6 months filming (and working other jobs) and 6 months editing (my full time job).

I'm really happy with the finished video. I didn't think i would be, i figured after all that work i'd be sick of it. I love the soundtrack, big thanks to Bad Science ~ www.badscience.biz for hooking me up with the tunes. It was a joy to edit to their music and increadibly i still love their tunes even after listening to them nonstop for about 8 months, over and over again, sometimes all day every day for a week. That's pretty impressive me thinks. Not forgetting The Scrub, Dub From the Golden Valley, Infinite Potential and Kyle and Elliott who also provided some sweet tunes.

I tried to make the all the tracks individual. I did this by limiting what i could do with each one. So instead of using all the tricks at my disposal i chose a few and tried not to get too carried away.

Then there's a couple tracks where i let myself go, 'The Death Of Reality' track is the where i let myself go entirely. It is ferociously complex editing and is the best thing i have ever created, i love that video.

I also love 'The Essence' video. The editing in that one is real simple, all cross fades, all the clips are random lengths. It was really hard to make cos the tune had no 'definite events', like a big drum beat, tempo change etc. So for a long time the video was 'soupy', it just didn't click. Then one day it just popped out and all clcked into place.

The UberOz video was hellish to produce. I had around 100 minutes of footage, 90% of it was excellent spinners doing increadible stuff. Kyle and Elliott made the soundtrack, which turned out to be totally random (and very hard to edit to) thanks kyle, you crazy man!! It took about 5 days to cut the footage up and slect the best best best bits. It took forever cos the quality was so high. There must be 500 clips in 8 minutes in that track. There's so much going on, i recommend watching it thru in slo mo to catch it all.

Well, i could go on all day about it but i won't. I'll just open up the discussion. Feel free to ask me questions, suggest ideas for the future and so on.

What do people think of it?

Did you enjoy it?

Which videos do you like most?

Do non spinners like watching it? (the original goal)

Like the soundtrack?

Anyone need help learning anything on the dvd?

How can i improve on it next time round? (if there is a next one)

Thank you to everyone who's in the film, i tried my absolute best to make everyone look totally badass..

And thank you for buying a copy, i'm pretty confident no one will be disappointed with the dvd.

And you can be sure that i'll use the money wisely, reinvesting in making more and more crazy stuff for our wonderful community.

Big Love,

matt

EDITED_BY: TheWibbler (1162490694)

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
First off, complete respect to you for undertaking (and actually completing) such an ambitious project. Its a real achievement and I want you to know that I think that.
What follows is merely constructive criticsm, which you can chose to discard as you wish.

In my view, this DVD represents a missed opportunity. What has been created is a fine spinning video for other spinners, but it could have been a project with aspirations for real commercial sale outside of the spinning community (admitttedly, I'm unsure how you would get it into shops, but still...), a project that could have really introduced poi, staff and the like to the outside world. Unfortunately, rather than really plan each sequence extensively, it seems that you have opted for the filming you mates in the park option, a long standing tradition of spinning videos. Without sufficient time invested in planning and organising locations, adequate lighting and more dynamic camera angles, the video has an unproffesional quality. This is a shame, because it limits the potential audience primarily to other spinners.

I guess this is a criticism that extends to the majority of spinning videos, the fact that so many videos are shot with friends in a park, using straight on camera angles and ambient lighting (I admit, I'm no better, insufficient planning goes into my projects as well). I understand why this happens, its far easier and, as yet, there has been no real ground breaking spinning video that has raised the bar as it has been in the world of skateboard videos. Unfortunately, the result is that even if the tricks are AMAZING, as they undoubtedly are in Sphericular Vision, they become flat and unintersting to non-spinners. (I realise I am making a generalisation. Some non-spinners will watch and be interested in such videos, but I think my point still stands.) Ultimately, you have produced the video you wanted to make for the audience which you wanted to consume it. These comments are based on my own thoughts for what I personally would like from a spinning video.

A significant criticsm has been the use of translucent overlays throughout the DVD. Again, you have your own reasons for using them, but I have a couple of comments about some of the things you mentioned

Written by: TheWibbler

The semi translucent bits here are the cross fades and were essential. I had to take 60 minutes of film and squeeze them into 5. So the choice is either to cut bits out, or overlap them.

As I see it, the challenge in editing is as much in knowing what to leave out as in what to put in. 60 mins of footage (1 mini DV tape), is not really that long, even if your material is flawless.
I think that the problem stems from an uncertainty about the aim of the video. If it is a predominantly technical video, demonstrating tricks, then the overlays are pointless, as they allow you to include more material but they obscure each other and make it difficult to see what trick is being performed. If the aim is to make an art video, then the overlays are justified but unnecessary, as you don't need to cram every insanely hard trick into an art video.

Written by: TheWibbler

It's funny that you really really don't like image overlays or fades. Videos get very boring if they are all straight cuts and no overlays.

This is not strictly true. It is the case that a 90 min video in which every straight-to-camera shot is directly cut with another straight-to-camera shot can get a bit repetative. But how many Hollywood films have you seen where they just overlay two images so that both are obscured and you can't really see either? Many films just use simple cuts and remain engaging. Creative camera angles, interesting locations and dynamic lighting can solve the problem which you described.

These are just my own rambling thoughts, which, although directed to your DVD in particular, are an attempt to address issues I have with spinning videos as a whole. They are not meant as an attack on your project. Overall, I feel that you have done an excellent job, for which I commend you. I hope that you will make another one.

Not a spinner!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er...i'd disagree with some of your points.
I reckon this is the first long spinning/juggling DVD which is watchable by non-spinners/jugglers - my parents enjoyed it, my girly enjoyed it - and my friends enjoyed it - none of whom do anything manipulatory.

As for the "just mates spinning in the park" - I thought (though Matt can of course correct me) that the aim of the video was in someways a "year of playing in the UK (and Oz...)" - lots of the footage from the various gatherings Matt attended - BJC, UberOz, a couple of in-the-park-meets etc.
The only alternative would be going to specific locations to film stuff, though IMO this would present a very different feel to the DVD (For example "In Isolation"). "Diabology" (a stunning diabolo DVD) uses lots of "normal" locations, and doesn't suffer at all for it IMO.

I don't see it as a missed opportunity - it's certainly a (Very high) benchmark for all subsequent object manipulation DVD's to be based on.
smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I'm just off to bed, heading back to melbourne tomorrow am.

I'll hopefully find time to discuss a lot of what people are talking about.

Y : You raise some very valid points. All of which could have been addressed by 1 simple thing, a budget. There was no budget. I had no money to buy a camcorder. Consider this dvd as Matt's COL2006 entry.

I gave away a load of free stuff, then was donated £300 for my efforts (by the loveliest people there are) Then i scraped together another £200 and managed to get £700 worth of camcorder from america, for £500 thanks to Roger Orbit.

Then I took that camera and created the potential to raise much more than the £500 it cost.

Then I quit my job and essentially invested £10,000 worth of Time into it.

The Goal was very specific and I did not release the film until that goal had been exceeded. The dvd is quintessentially 'What Spherculism Is'. Literally it is the 'Transmutation of Essence Into Liquid'

Also bare in mind that 'Sphercular Vision' is just 1 small part of a much larger project called 'Spherculism'. Which is now entering its critical 3rd phase.

But i really must sleep, so i'll continue this more later.

I'd love to open this discussion up a lot more, but i'll wait until i can show you what we've been doing since releasing the dvd wink

Thanks very much for everyones input.

Big Love,

matt

240 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

I don't see it as a missed opportunity - it's certainly a (Very high) benchmark for all subsequent object manipulation DVD's to be based on.
smile

You're right. A missed opportunity is unfair and unneccessarily dismissive of a very well crafted project. I shouldn't have used those words.

I completely understand the problem of budget problems. Its a problem which everyone who works in film and video has to deal with - making video projects don't come cheap, and this can often limit you in terms of lighting, costumes etc.
But it doesn't necessarily have to. Interesting camera angles cost nothing, and some planning and research can often yeild fantastic locations for free. This isn't directed specifically at Sphericular Vision. There are some great moments of experiementation and innovation in the DVD that, in many ways, set it appart from what has come before.

I guess I just want to open up the discussion to something I have been thinking about for quite some time ... what can a spinning video REALLY be?
I don't claim to have all the answers, but I do believe that there is much that can be done in a spinning video that hasn't even been attempted yet. Sphericular Vision is a great achievement and a step in the right direction. But, (like all video projects) it could be learned from, improved upon and developed.

I think that there is more good stuff to come biggrin

Not a spinner!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Interesting camera angles? The video is full of them?!And I loved the various locations too...the castley thing, various graffiti, the gorgeous simpicity of the beach... I can see the difference between this film quality, and oh, say MTV, but I am grateful for that very difference.

I appreciated the balance held by the project- between tech, and dance, and art, and "mates playing in a field" - all of that and more. Inclusive, but high quality inclusive. I am looking forward to what you will do with some money in your hands, it will be exciting to see you develop the weaker spots in the future. Like, being able to pay someone to stay sober at Uberpoi, and hold the camera, or maybe even have two cameras,and an assistant with a tripod...? lol Still loved it though. It does capture an essence.

But, very very disappointed by the lack of paper spinning.;)

Other vids I have seen recently, with much higher production values and presumabley budgets, left me totally cold( like FireGrooves from Col)Somehow, they missed that Essence, or at least for me they did. Marketable product, as Y suggested, is a fine aim- I would like to see you comfortabley rich- but I am glad your agenda is not limited to that. So much becomes crap when made and manipulated for the "market".

Matt, you are soooo mysterious, man. Can't wait to know more about what you are up to!
xoxo
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Dave, now that we have your attention...
Is that Art of Three Staffs that you made with Bastl on line anywhere?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

240 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Hey Dave, now that we have your attention...
Is that Art of Three Staffs that you made with Bastl on line anywhere?

I have been trying to upload it for the last two weeks. Problems with the FTP server or something (something technical I don't really understand wink). I will get onto it and let u know smile

Not a spinner!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hurrah!

Bought this ages ago and only got to watch it a couple of nights ago...

Well done Matt!!!!! bounce hug bounce

It's fantastic... so much work has gone into it, and it's really good.

I loved the music, the concepts, seeing my friends again...

No criticisms as such - for my own personal taste - I would like to have seen more of my friends, maybe fewer overlays (but they're not too bad)... shorter clip length.

Meh, these are all personal preference, and you can't really go round asking everyone what they want. It's your vid, and you've done outstandingly well.

Bits I remember I loved: Ros ubblove, Eimhin meditate, Bristol last year bounce, Drew doing what he does best ubblove

Bits I wasn't sure about: Just one... the section with all the LEDs on black that goes into crazy-mirrored effects. I realise this is a great step forward for spinning vids, but I'm just slow to catch up smile

Anyways, well done again, and I hope you still feel inspired to do more

hug2

Getting to the other side smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Rightio, the new site is up and running

The new spherculism site

The Sphercular Vision Promo Page

Sphercular Vision Free sample video clips

_Y_ You should upload your videos to the spherculism gallery, there's tonnes of space and the uploading couldn't be simpler,

just login,

go to the gallery,

click 'Your Album',

then click 'Add Items'

Then pick a method to upload stuff and you're done.

That goes for anyone else too.

There's esentially a vast ammount of free server space for all the circusy folks that want it. We'll host all your videos and photos for ya smile

Another late night, must sleep,

matt
EDITED_BY: TheWibbler (1162490550)

Page: