Forums > Social Discussion > The 100 point rating system for wines... good or bad?

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, I was reading this because I couldn't sleep and I got to thinking. For example, given a choice between random white wines I know nothing about, I'll tend to take a moscato first and then a pinot grigio. But a lot of people I know almost always like the chardonnays best.

It depends on your individual tastes, and if you're drinking with dinner it depends on what you're eating as well, but people are hearalding these numbers (that is, the ratings assigned to these wines by various sources) as if they're some kind of bible (in some cases without even considering the source!)

I'm more apt to read the tasting notes than anything else, really!

So what do you think? Is the 100 point rating system a useful thing to include with wine, or is it pretending a percision which is both a)silly and b) keeping people from discovering a lot of things they would like. Or you can have your own answer, of course!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It's interesting. There are like twenty people in the world who can grade cotton. You hand one a sample and he'll feel it and say, "Well obviously it's grade such-and-such" and then the next one will agree with him a startling fraction of the time.

Are wine graders as consistent? That's what I would wonder.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh well I would say, who am I to doubt these people? They are experts on the matter (and what a matter it is!), so I would happily put my trust into them. I like clear structure and regulation, I think if there was no grading to wine it would be rather...messy? (insert better word here)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Kyrian, I think I would go for a Riesling.

I’d suggest doing a wine appreciation course, as rating systems are ultimately flawed because they come down to peoples taste and preferences.

beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Whilst I agree that it would be a rating system for the quality of certain things so that the customer isn't buying reconstituted cat-pee or antifreeze, the rating system seems to be nothing more than a marketing tool so that certain people can justify charging God-knows how much more extortionate prices for their wine. (is Dom Perignon REALLY that much tastier or are people just buying the name brand?)

Plus it keeps the critics in business! It's a symbiotic relationship. Reviews are just there for marketing purposes... Public service announcements are useful (aforementioned antifreezeand cat-pee) but anything else is just pure self-indulgence...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

It's interesting. There are like twenty people in the world who can grade cotton. You hand one a sample and he'll feel it and say, "Well obviously it's grade such-and-such" and then the next one will agree with him a startling fraction of the time.

Are wine graders as consistent? That's what I would wonder.

Yes. From what I understand about wine graders, yes.

And more importantly, if you can't taste the difference, then it obviously doesn't matter to you.

I think rating systems are a fantastic way to get a ball park figure. Obviously individual tastes will vary. That doesn't make the rating system flawed.

Personally, I treat my Zagat guide (restaurant guide) like a bible. I certainly disagree with some of the ratings but it doesn't make it any less useful.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

(is Dom Perignon REALLY that much tastier or are people just buying the name brand?)

Having been around a few camels in my life, I can say in my expert opinion that most champaigne (or sparkling white) tastes something like how camel piss smells.

But I actually like Dom.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

I certainly disagree with some of the ratings but it doesn't make it any less useful.

Indeed, especially if you consistantly disagree.
I used to read the film reviews in the local paper knowing that if the film critic hated a film then I'd love it, and vice versa.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.